out of curiousity, where are the native 4K HDDs?

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by tiro_uspsss, Mar 26, 2013.

1. led_blind

led_blind Member

Shhh, dont interrupt them.... this is fun! ;)

Iceman - My e-peni is bigger than your e-peni
    samarium - Um, im not talking about e-peni's im talking about Epeni's you dolt
    Iceman - but your e-peni is old and wrong
    samarium - present it....

:) My understanding may be tainted by the veil if hillarious arguementors arguing at slightly differing points. MOOOAR!!!

2. Tekin

Tekin Member

I'd thought that the performance difference for 512e vs 4k was only in writes and only for a small proportion OF those writes (10% rings a bell?)

(This wikipedia article seems to suggest thats the case)

Reads I thought had effectively the same performance as a proper 4k drive?

In the corporate environment I know that we've not started to do any system prep testing for 4k drives in any of our environments - both in the server and user space - I think the blade guys have started to look at it though for the core vm servers.

It is interesting - I remember reading the original 4k standard docs said they were planning to have the major drive parties (seagate, WD and maxtor I think at the very least) all changing over by Jan 2011? I suppose the thai floods didn't help much, but that's a 2 year lag!

3. OP
    OP
    tiro_uspsss

tiro_uspsss Member

All manufacturers have changed over, to some extent. But they have moved to 512e. Hitachi, I know, still makes 512 (native) on some of their models; however their model number scheme has provision for 4Kn. 4K is related to areal density & in turn platter numbers - I was recently was disappointed to find that Seagates top of the line 4TB ES.2 SAS & SATA HDDs still are 512 native :thumbdn:

I have moved my main file server to Windows Server 2012 as well as formatting most HDDs to ReFS - for better data integrity; 4Kn HDDs would be a bonus: 4Kn + ReFS = YES PLEASE!

4. led_blind

led_blind Member

Have you noticed a benefit with ReFS? Just wondering about the experience of users migrating. Also, can it be a boot device yet?

5. OP
    OP
    tiro_uspsss

tiro_uspsss Member

The benefit is mostly data integrity - so it'll be a while before I tangibly notice anything in the regard. No it cannot be used on boot drive. :thumbup:

6. Stanza

Stanza Member

Didn't Statts have some Iomega 2.5inch 1tb drives in his microserver that were 4k native drives?

7. OP
    OP
    tiro_uspsss

tiro_uspsss Member

which OS & file system are you running? :)

8. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

ehhh I thought they were 512e, the LP's are 4K :\

9. OP
    OP
    tiro_uspsss

tiro_uspsss Member

that makes sense ;) :thumbup:

your drives appear to be 4Kn :thumbup:

10. samarium

samarium Member

While it would be nice to think the drives are properly reporting their characteristics, ATTO could be doing something as simple as parsing the model string to intuit the sector size for certain drives.

11. Stanza

Stanza Member