1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Outdoor radiators

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by SiriusDragon, Aug 12, 2016.

1. SiriusDragon

SiriusDragon Member

Is it workable to mount a radiator outside? eg. a MORA or similar?

Could it cause issues, eg. condensation?

Just curious because although I'm probably not going ahead with my chiller idea I like the option of putting the radiator outdoors to decrease noise and also so heat gets dumped outside the house instead.

Thanks for any advice, sorry if these are dumb questions :Paranoid:

2. ginger_nuts

ginger_nuts Member

Cooler times of the year you may get condensation forming.

Warmer times of the year you would have a hard time rejecting the heat. Thinking middle of summer when we push 40+ celsius.

3. OP
    OP
    SiriusDragon

SiriusDragon Member

I'm again realising why I went ahead with the chiller idea... sure you get condensation but it will work fine even on a really hot day - not as efficiently but still... Maybe I need to investigate the idea of a micro controller to monitor and adjust it in real time to keep the temps above ambient.

You've given me things to ponder, this is good :D

4. ginger_nuts

ginger_nuts Member

Do these chillers have a controller for setting a desired temp setpoint ?

Because you only need the temp of the room and humidity to calculate the dew point (temp @ which water will condensate)

5. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

Put it under the house? Still good temps in summer

[​IMG]

6. Moptimus

Moptimus Member

That is the radiator for the L3p desk - Netherlands is not really comparable to Australia in terms of ambient temperature.

7. OP
    OP
    SiriusDragon

SiriusDragon Member

Yeah it does. I'd love to automate it if possible. Maybe i can wire into it or something...

As for radiator under the house? 2 story house so not really workable :(

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  8. hairy

hairy Member

what about using an audrino to control it ?
    I loved my watercooling setup but one thing you notice is the room heats up a lot quicker.

9. Phatboy

Phatboy Member

I've already done this and lasted the whole winter without any condensation issues.
    Check out the Borg cube rebuild thread in the last couple pages.

Outside Temp has been down as low as 6c and inside 28c in the 19"rack with no condensation. Don't know exactly what humidity was but it would have been under 60% most of winter and there are a couple of low speed 600RPM fans in the case anyway which probably evaporated any condensation before it got a chance to form. I have no insulation of any sort in the loop/case and no problems.

Soon I'll be putting in an aquarium chiller with a large coolant buffer reservoir to replace the 4 x 360Rads in-time for summer and will keep using the Aquaero to manage it and keep temps under 20c.