Outlook 2010 duplicate data file problem

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by Hamulus, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Hamulus

Hamulus Member

Was in a hurry to get Outlook up and running after a format reinstall of Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit, so thought I'd be clever and deleted the Outlook.pst file so that when I restarted Outlook it would say "where's data file?" and I could just point it straight to my backup.pst file (which is 15GB so takes fucking ages to import).

Outlook was fine with this, but created another data file named *my email address* and was recieving all the email here. Not only that, but I can't send anything but test emails. There are 2 Outboxes and even if I move the emails to the other Outbox, they still won't send. I am at my wit's end after trying all sorts of shit to rectify the problem, and now just want to reset Outlook and start fresh, but the /firstrun command line doesn't seem to work with Outlook 2010 and uninstalling and reinstalling just comes back with all the same problems.

Please can someone let me know a way to start over in Outlook 2010 with a completely clean slate. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.:)

2. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

i've had no end of trouble with outlook 2010 on various machines
    my solution..
    outlook 2007 :thumbup:

have u tried deleting the acct and just starting again?
    navigated to users/username/appdata(hidden)/local/microsoft/outlook and deleted the pst there?

3. OP
    OP
    Hamulus

Hamulus Member

Thanks for reply. Yes I have tried that. This is what started the whole thing really. As for 2007, I never used that. Was upgrading from 2003 which I had very little trouble with ever. Thought it would be safe to try 2010 2 years after the beta release they always try to palm off as the finished product, but seems not. 2007 would be nice, but are the 2010 .pst files bacwards compatible? Never tried to downgrade before...

Currently uninstalling office again and deleteing or moving/renaming any folder where Outlook has shit I know about and will try a reinstall. Pissed that they got rid of the /firstrun command line that has been around for 10 years or more. Why do that?:confused::mad:

4. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

same reason they shuffle the contents of control panel and added the "dynamic ribbon" to office and hid all the buttons...
    to shit ya! :p

yeah 2010 is backwardsarsed compatiable with 07 :thumbup: