Outlook 2016 Downloading Emails Quirk

Discussion in 'General Software' started by NinjaPirate, Sep 10, 2018.

1. NinjaPirate

NinjaPirate Member

Hello all,

I've trying to resolve a strange quirk with an iiNet imap mailbox configured through Outlook 2016 on a new HP Elite Desk Desktop

Issue:
    When outlook opens new emails don't download. It states connected but nothing updates even through I can see in the webmail there are new emails. In parallel to this issue when sending to an email distribution lists of around 60 recipients it fails to send and gets stuck in the outbox. Important to note there are a ton of syn errors occuring in the outlook sync folder.

To resolve I need to switch folders to say the draft folder and then back to inbox and then a message down the bottom states "synchronizing inbox" and then all the new emails download and from this point new emails pull down as they arrive. As soon as outlook is closed and re-opens the same issue occurs again until a folder a is switched. The DL issue doesn't get resolved though

Steps tried:
    1 - using different incoming and outgoing mail servers
    2 - different ports numbers (incoming - 993, 124, outgoing - 467, 587, 25) with corresponding SSL config
    3 - re-installing Office
    4 - removing any port or firewall settings on iinet modem
    5 - disabling Anti-Virus

Interestingly if I configure this imap account on my own outlook at home the emails and DL's work without any issue. I've even taking the desktop to my own home and connected to my LAN and can operate the emails as normal. ISP - Aussie Broandband

It sounds like I need to try a different modem but I am quite confused on what could cause this issue.
    The old desktop computer with the same outlook version and configuration worked without issue.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be the cause or any advance tricks to troubleshoot?
    I have a level 2 tech from MS booked for Wednesday and my last resort if this doesn't work is to change the modem but would prefer to fix with out this step.

Many thanks,

2. G-Man

G-Man Member

Did you do a full un-install of office before re-installing? Did you do a clean in between? (eg. use ccleaner to get rid of crap & 'unused' reg entries)
    Does the send/receive button work instead of changing folders?

3. OP
    OP
    NinjaPirate

NinjaPirate Member

Thanks G-Man, I've tried un-installing but not ccleaner. Trying that now. in regards to the Send and Received that doesnt work. Only way I can get it to work is if I right click the inbox folder and select "process marked headers".
    To update a full re-install of outlook using cleaner didn't fix the issue. Emails do download when using the send and receive but still the issue of when it first opens occurs. The sync issues folder gets loads of errors.

4. G-Man

G-Man Member

I would check the log to see if there's something specific you can google? i know people have had sync issues when 'download shared folders' or whatever its called is on for some reason, otherwise updates can sometimes cause stupid issues like this. Good luck.

5. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

Have you tried reverting to different Update builds in case it might be a bug with the current one you're on?

6. NSanity

NSanity Member

imap and outlook has been dogshit for literally over a decade at this point - particularly with any real mailbox size or significant number of active folders.

I'm about as Microsofty as it gets (and certainly its the thing most of my career has been built on) - but try Thunderbird.

7. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

I'm inclined to agree. Outlook sucks for GMAIL inbox management in my experience.