Outlook web app - Ads

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Kommandant33, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Hey all,

This morning I was looking at Vans for a possible business that I will be starting in the next couple of years - it was really just a quick glance to see what the prices are like - with no further thought.

Then this afternoon, I was looking in my Outlook Web app, and noticed that they have made an ad for a Renault van look like an email!

Click to view full size!

Granted, it was in the "other" section of my email, and not the "focused" part (which seems redundant, it just adds another click to the process of deleting junk mail)

I don't know whether I am just sheltered in my adblocked ecosystem, but this really feels like an invasion of privacy by adding it to my outlook!

I guess I am over reacting, and pretty soon we won't bat an eyelid when we have to sit through a 30 second ad before we can read our latest emails - this is just the beginning of the slippery slope.

2. NSanity

NSanity Member

are you on an O365 Business subscription?

Kommandant33 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

no, this is just for my Hotmail. I don't think I've seen this pop up on my works 365 account.

4. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

Access hotmail via a desktop mail client.

5. NSanity

NSanity Member

You are using a service that you are not paying for. You are the product.

Dilbery likes this.
  6. gords

gords Oh deer!

7. power

power Member

8. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

No more than ads on free-to-air TV are an invasion of your privacy at home.

Devil's advocate: there is great financial cost in giving millions of people free email accounts. So ad supported it is. As others have pointed out, the very obvious way to remove them is to pay for the service (much like I refuse to watch free-to-air TV, and pay for Netflix).

"Slippery slope" is not a valid argument, especially when we had ads on TV in the 60s, and in news papers long before you and I were born. Competition solves these problems. If you don't like this service, choose a better one.

The day Netflix put ads on their platform, they're dead to me. Zero loyalty to vendors.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  9. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Unfortunately common practice now for free accounts, here's the mobile app for Gmail doing the same thing:

[​IMG]

10. cvidler

cvidler Member

Understand the concept of ads. But there's ads, then there's the creepy we know what you did last summer/searched for yesterday, so here's a linked ad.

I guess advertisers think that's helpful. In reality, as per OP, it's a creepy invasion of privacy and unwelcome more so than regular untargeted ads. Add in the fact it's listed as if it's an email sent to you just adds to the unwelcome-ness.

Kommandant33 likes this.
  11. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Unwelcome, perhaps. But was it unexpected? It's in their Ts and Cs, after all.

I'm quite surprised at how many people are shocked by this sort of thing. You signed up for a service, and were given a wall of text to scroll through. If you chose not to read it, you can't really get upset at anything the service does that you were warned about, and chose not to prepare yourself for. And the "but nobody reads those" arguments don't hold water either - the terms are there for you to read to learn about the extent of what they can do.

Why are you creeped out that they did precisely what they said they would do, in writing? Why weren't you creeped out when they put it in writing years ago?

And once again, if you don't like it, change vendors or pay for the premium product. There is nothing here that either we weren't warned about (either in the terms, or by people we used to call paranoid even though they were right), nor that we can't avoid by switching.

Beyond all that, this raging open source hippy says (with a huge smile on his face), "I told you so". Hold your vendors to account. This didn't start last week. This started 20 years ago.

12. cvidler

cvidler Member

No questioning OPs reading of the EULA or not.

Like (for most people) spiders are creepy, whether you know you're going to find one (knowing may indeed creep some people out even more), or find one by surprise.

What annoys me, is this is the norm (and many like yourself accept it), and the big companies will do it whether you're paying or not. they may not show you the ads, but they're stills spying on you. It shouldn't be the norm, nor should it be acceptable.