Outsourced Service Desk Workflows...?

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by Mac, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Mac

Mac Member

Hi Everyone!

I've just started with a company who's L1 (and supposedly L2) service desk functions are outsourced. The MSP the service desk is outsourced to uses their own 'proprietary' service desk platform, which from the very short amount of time I spent with it, is absolutely terrible.

Their platform doesn't have (and is unable to support) any reporting functionality, no defined escalations process, no incident management, no change management etc. It's basically a ticketing system from the 90's (as far as I can tell).

Our current process is...
    1. user calls/emails outsourced service desk.
    2. ticket is raised in their 'service desk platform'
    3. if ticket needs to be escalted to internal IT support, they assign us the ticket
    4. we work within their platform, closing out the ticket as necessary.

I'd like to be able to work wholly within one service desk platform but the MSP will not migrate off their platform onto one we own and manage (that will have all the features and reporting a service desk should have). And I'd like to be able to raise and track many more work items than we currently do, but are unable to as their service platform is junk.

How do you guys manage working with an outsourced MSP? Use two service desk platforms? 1 for internal L2/L3 type work and another for L1 work??

We're stuck with our 'service providers' for at least another 12 months. I worry though that any other MSP we use we'll find ourselves in the same situation.

2. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

If your MSP is not willing to come up with a workflow that works for you, find a new MSP.

Do you know what ticketing platform they are using. In the 12 months you're stuck with, you may be able to find an API, and write some messy glue to 'sync' your system with theirs.

You (The company) are a Customer of the MSP, use that relationship. (aka, the customer is always right).

3. OP
    OP
    Mac

Mac Member

Oh Pablo, you and your logical and reasonable thinking!

I've tried to engage with the MSP, but they won't share any of the details of their service desk platform. Apparently it's commercial in confidence and to disclose that would be giving away their trade secrets and competitive advantage. I kid you not. To say our relationship is average is an understatement. It isn't toxic yet, but it's not far off being so. I've asked our internal legal team to review the contract but to be honest, I'm ok keeping them on for the time being as to bring on another MSP is the work of many weeks, if not months. And to be fair, the service team actually do an 'ok' job in so much that our small, but global workforce always get some assistance when required.

Thinking about it though, I wouldn't be surprised if their service desk platform is a homebrew bodge. Little bit of php and mysql, bang you got a service desk platform.

Is a 'sync' utilisng API's how other companies would interact with an MSP service desk though?? There's a piece of the puzzle I'm missing here, but having never worked with an outsourced service desk, I don't know what that :confused:

4. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

5. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

6. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

When I've worked with outsourced service desks in the past, we've done it a couple of ways

1 - Internal IT Use the MSP's service desk for everything - This sort of works, but the MSP's service desk was built around billing and time management, that wasn't important for Internal IT, but was mandatory for tickets, so time was wasted with Internal IT completing fields that had no relevance to their job. The MSP's service desk was built for them, not for us, so features that would make our life easier, weren't forthcoming.

2 - Outsourced IT us Internal Helpdesk - This worked well for us, but at a higher cost per ticket (because the MSP would have to double enter data, our system and theirs (for Billing)). We could adapt the service desk to our needs, and as long as we provided the MSP with procedures, everything was (in an ideal world) the same from a customers perspective, We could get the MSP to do whatever our workflows required... at a price.

3 - Integration between systems - This didn't work well for us, because there was no real time spent on the integration... it was "Oh, Hey, your system can E-mail Escalations, and our system can Ingest E-mails"

If you've got access to their system, just take a screenshot and do a Reverse Image search on it, It shouldn't be to hard to identify it. :)B

7. OP
    OP
    Mac

Mac Member

Can't tell if trolling... I can't see Numpty Desk. Apparently the quota is full??

Thanks for the response. That's good insight. Option 2 (I guess) is what I'm thinking of and yes, I see the how the issues you had would develop. Despite the extra costs, it appears to be the better solution.

8. koopz

koopz Member

stop right there.

no really - stop right there and record every interaction

give up if it's too much work