1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ovens - dear god, kill me now.

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by QuakeDude, Aug 10, 2015.

1. sormuijai

sormuijai Member

When renovating my parents kitchen, the best decision they made was to go with a wall oven rather than a freestanding one (Even though we all loved the look of it). They are getting old and bending down constantly to check the oven, lifting things in/out of it, cleaning etc would not be practical. If you also have young kids, got to be careful they don't burn themselves on the door since its so low and within reach.

We also went through the layout of the burners, taking into account the types of pots and pans you'll use i.e. will you use a wok. How many do you average use per meal, can you fit them all comfortably on the stove at the same time.

Those 2 things drove our final decision more than anything else. :)

2. broccoli

broccoli Member

Also, a consideration if you have dogs - the type of dogs who follow you about and stick their oar into everything, or cats. The best thing I ever did was buy an "upside down fridge" to keep the bloody cat from sticking his nose in whenever the fridge opened. It's worse with a hot oven, not just annoying but dangerous if you've got undisciplined sticky beaks around and about.

3. OP
    OP
    QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

So we went to the ONE shop in Melbourne that sells them yesterday. As expected, my wife is in love with the ovens. They are absolutely beautiful, and built phenomenally.. right down to the solid brass burners and fittings. The sales person handed me one of the rail handles, and the thing was machines from a block of solid brass - you could have killed someone with it (seriously).

Its frustrating, now we look at other ovens and notice things like "oh, they used a plastic knob" and little things like that. Need to sit down and work out just how much we can realistically spend on it. If my wife didn't love cooking so much I'd just get anything that looked alright, but we have to choose wisely here lol

4. broccoli

broccoli Member

If the quality of the range is there, you will never have to buy another in your lifetimes. There are old metters ovens still in use. Plastic knobs break - you will need to replace them (if you can find them when that happens). When it goes all manky, and all the knobs no longer turn, you will have to pay for another. Even the "cheap" ones aren't that cheap - imagine what the price will be in 20-30 years when you need a new range. She cooks, getting the top of the range (geddit?) that will last forever may well be the cheaper long-term option.

It's like trade tools. I don't do much - an el cheapo screwdriver will do me. A tradie won't be able to use it within a short period of time when the cheap metal shows that it's cheap, it has to be ditched and another bought. For somebody using it daily, buying quality is cheaper in the long run.... (and that's leaving aside the little aggravations that come from "making do" with the crappier option).

If the more expensive were just cosmetic, style or brandname, don't get it. If it is actually warranted by the build quality, it's worth finding the money for it.

EDIT Oh, AND think how much money can be saved cooking from stuff hauled in on special from the supermarket over paying for restaurant meals or takeaways.

tl:dr Just on money/economics, the cost of the "good one" can be justified.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  5. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

They are built like tanks. I didnt know anyone in Australia sold them.

6. Shaetano

Shaetano Member

Wow those Lacanche ovens look the boss, how much were going for Quake?

7. OP
    OP
    QuakeDude

They are :thumbup:
    manor.com.au is a shop here in Melbourne (Malvern) that has them.

For the 110mm one (I forget the name, the brochure is at home) pretty sure the price was around $15K.

This is a company that used to only make commercial ovens/cooktops, so no issue about reliability with these suckers.

8. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

We've got a Lofra oven here. Pretty decent quality, Italian made, and from memory it wasn't too pricey. I think it was just over 1k, and my grandma who loves to cook has nothing but praise for it. 10k+ ovens sound like crazy talk to me.

Edit: Ours is a smaller, 4 burner gas unit. I believe we ordered it online.

9. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

It does to some, but so is dropping $100k on a car. :tongue: Personally I wouldnt do either. But these stoves last and are basically commercial ovens/cooktops. You dont want to know how much they can cost.

Thanks for that. Do they still make them to order in France and then send it here?

10. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Far better than most commercial ovens. Speaking as someone who's been around a hell of a lot of bloody awful commercial ovens.

Edit - to say nothing of being right near one when some faulty gas fitting caused an explosion large enough to shake the 20 story hotel and send a 2m fireball up the extractors lol

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  11. OP
    OP
    QuakeDude

They do. Basically - its a 20 week wait while it gets built and sent out. The come in black initially - if you want the color changed, its another $1000. Same with the handles - they're all solid brass, if you want something like chrome or nickel then they remove them, send them off to be coated, and you can add another $300.

Oh, and its summer over there right now, which means the factory is closed :lol:

Apparently the equivalent of trying to get something done here in January :Paranoid:

I want one... I just don't know. Still trying to look at some options around the 5$ mark as a fall back, but while the internet is great for finding information, its also being a massive distraction when it comes to trying to find reviews. Pretty much EVERY brand I've looked at has plenty of bad reviews, so if I'm to take the internet at face value, I shouldn't buy ANY oven :lol:

12. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

I find it so hard with things like ovens.

Really what is more important how it looks or how it functions. It seems more look at the former.

I'm surprised only 1 person suggested it but 2x600 is probably going to be more functional than a single 900, seriously how often do you need the oven so wide? More often you need 2 different temperatures. Additionally look at how long they will stay on, some have auto shutoff that will prevent long cooks.

Additionally there is a massive difference in the internal cavity in some ovens, and the biggest complaint i have heard about 900m ovens was the time to heat up.

I just recently went through this with my missus, and we ended up getting a 600mm AEG, its like 80L inside, compared to some which were closer to 60 in the same form factor. I cared about functionality, how the dials worked, pyro, telescopic runners. The gf cared about how the door felt to open and close...........

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  13. broccoli

broccoli Member

Which one are you looking at now/how much is it?
    Unless there is a specific issue that lots and lots of people from many locations mention (eg, the clasp holding the back thingie on broke, the front widget is in a stupid spot and annoying to use), ignore them. You have no way of knowing whether they are even genuine reviews, and not beat-ups by competitors. Even if they are from real people, as you said before, people are more likely to rush to the internet to advertise a negative than a positive. Without stats as to how many sold and how many NOT having issues, there's no way of knowing whether there's any statistical significance to any negative reports.

A high-end product with a limited market is not going to grab your money and run, it's economically stupid, their whole raison d'etre is to convince people to drop megatons of cash on something engineered to the nines.

hmmm, you'd also be using more fuel then, I suppose.

14. Shaetano

Shaetano Member

Yeah, I've been reading reviews on the Lacanche ovens and for every works perfectly post there is an equal review on how bad they are. My biggest problem with getting one will be on the off-chance something does happen how much of a pain in the arse it would be to get it fixed (especially being in Sydney). But they look so pretty!!

15. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

Yeah i'm not sure on that equation honestly, Yes it takes more fuel to heat the cavity, but once it reaches equilibrium then it should drop back to a very similar amount depending on the heat loss. But yes more but how much more i don't know.

The other thing about online reviews is if i buy a $500 oven i expect it to work, but i don't expect it to be well made.

If i buy a $15000 oven i expect the handle to be solid and the door be perfectly balanced, the handles to turn evenly under pressure, the glass be easy to remove and clean, etc etc. I also expect it to cook the perfect roast first time (regardless of my cooking ability) and that golden goose that comes out should have a golden egg.

Different expectations. Get your wife to justify why she needs a $15k oven, is it because of how it looks or because of some special function that is a must have? And can that feature be filled later on?

16. broccoli

broccoli Member

There's always "getting to know" an oven, particularly if it's gas.

17. junglist

junglist Member

If I was going to spend 15k on an oven I'd be looking at Rational Combi Ovens, none of this wimpy home stuff :weirdo:

18. Falkor

Falkor Member

Yeah but they don't have 'charm' like the OPs wife is looking for :)

19. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

If you are prepared to compromise on a non freestanding model, the Miele Steam/Combi Ovens, and induction cooktops are REAALLLY nice.

Not to mention, take one completely cooking-a-phobe male here, with next to no cooking knowledge at all (I can BBQ, and I can burn, that's my two things)... and within 30 minutes I'd figured out how to use both cooktop and ovens.

Cookwise they do an AMAZING job too. Mum and Dad redid their kitchen and put in the largest pyrolytic oven, the largest combi steam oven, and the largest induction cooktop.

Miele also self service, and have regular cooking classes you can attend to get the best out of your purchase.

Only downside is you can't barter on their prices much at all. They are set by Miele (like ASKO and BOSCH and others).

But if freestanding is a must, I don't believe Miele make one.