Overcast

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by bachamp, May 1, 2011.

1. bachamp

bachamp Member

Shooting in overcast conditions is a real challenge. You need to imagine what an image could be and not what it looks like on the back of the camera. The original image was nothing but grey. But I split this into 3 images. Changed the white balance, exposure and contrast for each and then blended in Photoshop. There are 11 other Photoshop layers in this one, it took me most of the day to process. It really proves the point that photographers are artists.

I am almost happy with the outcome. There are a few things that annoy me, but I am interested in what others think.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  2. humanrace

humanrace Member

nice work. i like the composition how it leads out and the dramatic sky+ water

there is something which bugs me though, is there like some sort of glow to it? like maybe a black+white soft light layer? or a blurred soft light layer? i also think there may be a bit too much contrast in the water

3. jumpy

jumpy Member

Not a fan, looks overprocessed.

4. Danske

Danske Member

Kinda looks like Diffuse glow filter from photoshop.

Maybe a bit too overprocessed for my liking, but kinda cool too.

5. OP
    OP
    bachamp

bachamp Member

Yes there is a glow. Its not the normal one in Photoshop, its from nik color efex.

I understand what some with not like it as its very processed. Would anyone like to see the original?

6. lothloriel

lothloriel Member

Yes please; I think the glow has been overdone. It feels as if the depth has been taken away from the image.

7. OP
    OP
    bachamp

bachamp Member

Original:

[​IMG]

8. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

I think it is a good spot to revisit on a nice morning :thumbup:

9. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

Agreed.

No amount of post processing can come close to replicating capturing beautiful light to begin with, unfortunately you do often have to go back to the same spot multiple times to capture it.

10. lothloriel

lothloriel Member

But it can create a beautiful mood; which is why overcast weather is an excellent opportunity for PP. But it is nice to have great conditions when shooting

11. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

It sure can.. but there are varied conditions of overcast.. storm front/clouds/rain or fast moving clouds which streak and set the scene. Or relatively grey and stock standard skies.. similar to a cloudless sunrise which is nice but its not as epic as when you go back to the spot and mother nature turns it on for you.

12. OP
    OP
    bachamp

bachamp Member

This location is facing south, and there are massive cliffs either side of me. So couldn’t be shot with a good sunrise or sunset. Also it’s not easy to get there, so if there was a storm the surf would be too big and there would be no way around on the rocks.

I don’t think there is bad shooting conditions. You just need the right subject. Example, overcast is great for shooting in forest. Recently I went to Bright looking to capture some autumn colours, I was hoping for a boring overcast sky.

13. Vrm

Vrm Member

I really like the edit and the contrast, it really pops! i reckn it works well on this image!
    FTR, i dont think it looks overly processed, much better than the HDRs i've seen lately...