Overclock Notebook Computers (Asus M6000N)

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by Dennis_B, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Dennis_B

Dennis_B Member

Hi Everyone,

I happenned to stumple onto Notebook Overclock by accident when fiddling with CPUID for Desktops.

By using the CG-ICS952618.exe Clockgen Utility available from www.CPUID.com I've been able to overclock my Asus M6000N Notebook from 1.5Ghz to 1.8Ghz with No Ill Affects (This is only a Bania's Pentium M Chip)

I don't think its the Speed as such that is holding me back just Memory Speed/Issues like that. (I.e HDD Corruption)

I have it sitting in Windows at 2Ghz no problems
    (just not capable of playing games)

I would think that the 2 Meg Cache Dothan series processors in these notebooks would be ready willing and able to be overclocked bloody easily.

This Notebook is excellent because having the Ability to Overclock both CPU & Graphics Card (ATI Radeon 9600 Pro) makes it perform quite nicely.

2. unconess

unconess Member

Interesting...
    Yeah apparently the Dothan mobile CPUs overclock well. :thumbup:
    There are actually ATX mainboards out there that are made to take these CPUs too.

But I would be a bit cautious in a laptop, I'm not certain that the power circuitry and cooling etc would handle the extra heat and current of an overclocked CPU as well as a desktop system would. :Pirate:
    Also it would be reducing battery life quite a bit so I'd be only overclocking with the charger in ;).

Actually, on the other hand, have you tried running it overclocked on the battery? If so, how much difference does it make to the battery time?

3. digian

digian Member

Sweet ive got a 1.8, might try and take it to 2ghz.

Can anybody link a utility, for temp monitoring good for notebooks with dothan ?

At the moment its clocked at CPU (600)?, FSB (100), MEM (166).

Im suprised memory isnt at 200 cos this asus specifically said ddr400, should be a fair bit of room to move with the o/c with the ram helping out.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2005
  4. alvins

alvins Member

I've tried clockgen on sony viao z1. If I overclock using it, my cpu usage shoots to 100% and sits there after I have overclocked it. Don't think it works right - I have tried a couple of the clockgens, all produce same problem.

5. meggala

meggala Member

6. FuXToR

FuXToR Member

http://www.bluechipit.com.au <-- is the distributor of the DFI & Aopen versions. I beleive the only two versions available.

And I thinks I'll have a snap at overclocking my M6 later tonight. :thumbup:

7. jascii

jascii Member

Both AOpen and Commell have Alviso modelw on the way, expected sometime in march-ish.

I hope DFI one-up them with a board with dual PCI-X slots, and a 4x pci-e slot. :cool:

8. ocyrion

ocyrion Member

Does this work on any other Pentium-M notebooks?

9. DiZZ_19

DiZZ_19 Member

I tried both Intel clockgens on my Banias 1.4Ghz Dell 600m with no luck, which apparently uses a 855PM chipset.

One of them didn't work, the other detected the correct settings but when adjusted did nothing.

10. unconess

unconess Member

The reason for the CPU being 600 would be the power management automatically adjusting the clock (voltage too I think) depending on CPU usage etc...

Thats interesting about the laptop saying its meant to have DDR400. Maybe its also some power conserving function? I imagine the RAM would require less voltage if it's running at a lower clock speed than its meant to, assuming timings are unchanged. Also it might have a similar idea to the CPU, where maybe it cranks up the RAM speed to full when needed. Hmmm....

11. power

power Member

sweet just clocked my 1.7M up to 1.95GHz (locks at 2GHz)and played a bit of source on it with a noticeable performance increase... biggest problem i can see is there don't seem to be any PCI/AGP locks