1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

overclocking a 2600+

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by Abercrombi3, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Abercrombi3

Abercrombi3 (Banned or Deleted)

hey people, been crammed at home with the flu lately so i thought what better way to pass the time then to overclock my first desktop in about a year its a 2600+ barton machine, the machine is currently running fine at 2ghz but was hoping to push it to 3200+ speeds. it has generic memory (1x512mb ddr400, 1x256mb ddr333 memory), generic powersupply and is on a Gigabyte GA-7VAXP mobo (which i cannot for the life of my figure out how to lock the pci frequency) anyone want to help a old overclocker by reminding him how this all works again :D :thumbup:

2. J_S

J_S Member

I would think that you need to remove the ddr333 memory if you plan on overclocking your machine.

3. luke o

luke o Member

You won't be able to lock the pci freq on an nforce 2 board. You have DDR333 ram which is your limit really. I don't think you could squeeze more than 100mhz out of it without better ram and cooling.

Good luck, give it some more vcore, up the fsb a little and see what happens... maybe some more ram voltage as well but I don't think it will help ddr333.

my 2 cents.

4. OP
    OP
    Abercrombi3

Abercrombi3 (Banned or Deleted)

hmm ok, thanks guys! what would be a better performance boost? 3200+ speeds and 512 mb ram or 2500+ (just found out its a 2500) and 768mb ram? also if i got a decent graphics card (X800 series) and 1gb proper ram for this machine do you think it will make a semi desent gamer for cs:s, motogp3 and games like that?