Overclocking base block affects GPU?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by reddead2067, Jan 17, 2011.

1. reddead2067

reddead2067 Member

(Overclocking noob here).

I used Gigabyte EasyTune6 to overclock my i7 950 (3.06Ghz) to 3.60Ghz.
    From (133BLCK x 23) to (150BCLK x 24)

I can see my RAM (G.Skill 1600Mhz), has gone up from 1066Mhz to 1200Mhz.

My question is, does this base clock increase affect my graphics card timings as well? (GTX460)
    Or is that CPU overclocking completely independent from GPU?

2. DeejW

DeejW Member

no it does not. for GPU OC I use MSI Afterburner, as do most users on here. Noob friendly and compatible with nearly every card out there.

3. Brick

Brick Member

This. The closest adjusting the base clock will come to overclocking the GPU is from it changing the PCIe speed (although this only really happens on Sandy Bridge). The Base clock is used for a couple of things that then use multipliers to dictate their speed, the CPU of course, RAM as you've noticed and north bridge all come to mind.

4. Haillion

Haillion Member

Well yes and no, sometimes when you overclock a cpu your gfx card will perform better if the cpu is a limiting factor(please no-body say bottleneck in this thread it gives me bad dreams about young people on a beach dancing in coca-cola rain).

5. karlcloudy

karlcloudy Member

The memory clock is based on the FSB, or the QPI (in your case the latter), whereas the PCI-e bus has it's own ~100Mhz clock speed. You can change the PCI-e clock speed, but unless you do this directly, it shouldn't go anywhere. The graphics clocks for your GPU itself are controller by the graphics card itself, completely separate to the rest of the system.