Overclocking the Brisbane X2 3600+ - Sub$100 goodness [56k NO]

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by mAJORD, May 7, 2007.

1. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Finally, after months of no stock in the country, Sub $100 brisbane core (1.9Ghz 65nm) X2 3600+ are showing up at decent prices.

[​IMG]

It's been common knowledge on the international scene (due to their wide availablilty) that these chips offer great bang for $ Ocing potential when teamed with a cheap, but proven Nf4 based AM2 mobo. which can be had for as little as 100-110 big ones aswell.

Unfortunatly, for part 1 at least, I wasn't able to get hold of another cheap board, so the following was done on a DFI LAnParty 590 M2.

Very similar if not identical results could be achived on many an Nforce 4 board though, such as the ABIT KN9 example I used for pushing a sempron to it's limits http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=567595 HERE.

Enough rambling, on with the results.. It should be mentioned this particular example is a very good batch, I have only seen a couple of others on the net with this kind of potential, whether it's newer batches or not I'm trying to find out.

NOTE REGARDING TEMPS: Speedfan is reporting wrong temps on this board. It's the same on all CPU's but they come in at approximatly 10deg higher than they should be.. determined by running various chips on other boards. keep that in mind when reading temps in screenies.

[​IMG]

The brisbane core, with it's half multipleris clocked at 1.9ghz stock, and like all brisbane core's has 512Kb x2 cache. It's mfg on the 65nm Process, meaning it automatically falls in the 65watt TDP @ stock.

this particular chip has a VID of 1.325v , This DFI board seems to have a small problem with low VID chips, and as you'll see it actually droops to 1.31V under load. I confirmed this with a multimeter.
    As it turns out this drooping wasn't to be a problem for achieving a decent 'stock volt Overclock'.

Stock V-Core, Stock HSF

No mucking about - After dropping the ram to 1:1, and knocking the HT multi down, I quickly ramped the FSB(HTT) up on the standard 9.5 multiplier until hitting some instablity around 2.95Ghz (310x9.5).

Bringing it back a bit I tested for long term stablity, Temps remained very reasonable, estimated the low 60s.

8 Hours - 2.8Ghz @ 1.31v droop under load.
    [​IMG]

The night's run seemed to give it a little bit more headroom as it turned out.

Given the low VID of this chip, and past exp' I raised the vcore to 1.36v.. around the stock Voltage of higher clocked cores, to see if this yeilded any better results.

3000Mhz (315x9.5) @ 1.36v
    [​IMG]

_________

3Ghz was achived with at least some stablity, but the Standard CRAPOLA heatsink was showing it's limitation.. Temps estimated to be in the low 70s under full load.. I wasn't prepared to push any harder. This was more than I achived with a 4000+, which topped out around 2.95 on the stock sink.

Better Cooling

Time to bring the big gun in and push this thing.. Take one Big Typhoon VX:

Straight away, without changing anything, Temps were a good 15Deg cooler under load. This allowed me to push it to 3090Mhz on the same 1.36 Vcore.

3090Mhz (325x9.5) @ 1.36v - Big Typhoon
    [​IMG]

With the new cooler allowing some extra Juice, Time for some more long term stablity:

8hours 3120Mhz @1.44V.
    [​IMG]

_______

from this point on the chip didn't really want to play any more ball on this cooler int the day time ambient temps.. It's heat output was getting quite hefty with further increases in Vcore.. which Didn't seem to give any worthy increase in potential. Decided this was the max I'd push for.

3155Mhz (332x9.5) @ 1.46v
    [​IMG]

Pushing the boundries:

Despite the heat problems, I hadn't really hit a real OCing wall yet. With some chilled down water I would though :)

The max achiveable was 3300Mhz, with enough stablity for a 1M pie run.. but not a lot more. Not practical voltages for day to day, and the increase in heat under load meant this could be considered stable.

3300Mhz @ 1.55V
    [​IMG]

Benchmarking:

I decided the most practical clock for benchmarking was 3.12Ghz as it was long term stable, and more likely to be achived on a lesser heatsink such as the freezer pro. This was the same methology used for the E4300 Frequency benchmarks, as that particular chip would run at 3350,but only with over 1.50vcore, and only partially stable / willing to boot.

Tested on the following:
    overclocked settings:

Mainboard: DFI LANPARTY UT NF590 SLI-M2R/G
    RAM: ADATA DDR800 @ DDR 688 (1:1) 4-4-4-12
    O/S Windows XP SP2 JAn updates, Dual core hotfixed

Allendale system:

MAinboard: Gigabyte GA-965P-S3
    RAM: ADATA DDR800 @ DDR722 (1:1) 4-4-4-12
    O/S Windows XP SP2 JAn updates, Dual core hotfixed

[​IMG]

So there you have it.. This particular example is definatly one of the better ones out there, encroching on C2D terrirtory fot overclocking %, which is no mean feat. Most people should be able to acheive similar results, and 3Ghz should at least be possible on this chip with varying degree's of effort and cooling. as most people have found.

The timing of this models local availablity is interesting.. With intel price cuts the better performing and better overclocking E4300 is more in reach of a lot of people, but really requires a 965 board for trouble free overclocks in the 3gig region, which blows it cost out a bit in comparison.

For those on a real budget, this chip is allready very attractive. but it's Oc potential IMO gives it an audiance of fans of budget overclocking, after a cheap OCing fix / crunching box. There is no need to buy DDR-800 ram either if aiming for 3ghz+, as most people will find trouble using anything other than 1:1 RAM ratio's at these clocks, hence you will not be overclocking 667ram.

Being able to team it with cheap, but solid overclocking boards is an added bonus.

On the other hand, the fact a basic overclock on very cheap mATX boards with little OCing options is a no brainer may attract some people aswell. by this I mean, even a board with no voltage adjustment will allow a decent performance boost without having to worry about heat, or instability. providing it will give a reasonable HTT(FSB) increase and allow the HT multi and RAM to be forced to lower speeds, you should be right. I suggest reseaching such boards first though before diving in expecting results like these, as there are a lot that will struggle to even hit high 200's.

I will endevour to throw this thing in the ABIT KN9 if I can ,to see what it can do, Another potential contender is the Gigabyte GA55SLI-S4 SLI, at $108. If anyone has futher info on these boards ability I'd like to know. Most reviews I've seen have been by people unaware of the ctrl F1 menu to access OCing options, and complain it won't overclock :rolleyes:

Thanks for reading :p

Last edited: May 13, 2007
  2. MrRevhead

MrRevhead Member

Excellent chip you have there :)

Nice write-up, excellent value for money. AMD is definately strong in the budget/low end market with these 65nm chips :thumbup:

3. iAl3xi

iAl3xi (Banned or Deleted)

it appears to me, in low end amd still has the crown. thats a $90 cpu vs a $160 cpu and it only just holds its self.

i know unless i buy a E6600 ill stick with amd. cheaper for pretty good stuff. iv looked into it but i hate to say, intel has the top. but in prices now amd have showed some speed to price. lets see what the new cores can pump out. if they can do even better then this for good prices then AMD have it back. im not going to intel/sauber/bmw from amd/ferrari :p

4. slobber

slobber Member

I just bought one of these chips and it better be a Brisbane :D

It only cost me $88 from Austin Computers and just for fun (plus I'm tight :eek: ) I will pair it with an Anus :sick: M2A-VM HDMI, I originally wanted the 6510 board but no stock so we shall see if this ATI chipset is any better than the last POS/disaster ATI chipset I bought years ago, that was an Anus too, for P4 :sick:

5. Deanodriver

Deanodriver Member

Depends on the CPU code (on the box itself), if it ends in CUBOX, it's 90nm, if it ends in DDBOX, it's 65nm.

I've got me a 90nm 3600+, and it's still a decent enough chip, runs in the high 40's whilst Folding atm.

6. oohms

oohms Member

Awesome, brisbane cores seem like winners atm.

I was going to get a 3600 brissy for my abit nf-m2 nview, but it has troubles getting over 270HTT, so id have to go for something like the 4800 brisbane instead.

7. OP
    OP
    mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Hey oohms, I just mentioned the nview in another thread. how the hell did you get hold of one?

most people seem get well over that, so that's a shame. defiantly not CPU or ram related?

8. oohms

oohms Member

saw it for sale on ebay, some guy imported it from the US.. got it for about $150 pp

Ive tried corsair 9136c5 domiator, fatty D9's and some other stuff, and tried lowering the cpu multi, etc, but theres a wall at ~270... 5 mhz after that i get tons of memtest errors and lockups... then 5 mhz more and no post...

I was using the modded 11 and 13 bioses from rebel's haven

The most annoying thing though, is that the lowest ram divider i can get is cpu / 5, so i still havent been able to run my ram at its stock speeds :upset:

edit: current cpu is a windsor core X2 3800+

Last edited: May 7, 2007
  9. dirtyd

dirtyd Member

Nice work mAJORD :thumbup: Looks like a ripsnorter of a bargain combo there.

10. Lichey

Lichey Member

I was looking into getting this EXACT CPU in about a month or so.

Thanks for the info.

Since i am completely new to OC'ing, it will be very helpful to know what the chip can be pushed to.

11. dinos22

dinos22 Member

wow this CPU overclocks great :eek: :thumbup:

hehe nice

12. slobber

slobber Member

My X2 3600+ delivered today from Austin Computers, looks like I was lucky as mine was only $88 :shock: :tongue:

Looks like mine is nearly identical to mAJORD's chip :leet:

AD03600IAA5DD

CAALG 0708UPMW :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

13. dinos22

dinos22 Member

awesome man :thumbup:

14. slobber

slobber Member

I might even do a mini review @ i4memory once I finish torturing my GA 965P-DS3P :eek: ;)

15. Olle_34

Olle_34 Member

Just clock the bloody thing and tell me how good it runs rFactor with your 1900 :thumbup:

16. dinos22

dinos22 Member

torturing rules

my P5K adventure continues tonight :D

got a vcore pencil mod to do (fingers crossed that works and it will be a complete motherboard :D

17. slobber

slobber Member

Yup, that just about sums it up :D :thumbup:

18. FB008

FB008 Member

wow the fan on the typhoon lives up to its name spinning @ 1350000RPM :lol:

nice ocing results on it :thumbup:

19. Lem0n

Lem0n Member

Wow, the AMD combo flys! Definately a better budget option than Intel, you don't have to pay through the roof for a half decent overclocking motherboard. Hehe, I'm tempted in buying just so I can play =P

20. Narcoticx2

Narcoticx2 Member

a plain old M2N-MX or M2N will overclock just fine right? or should i stretch the wallet for an M2N-E SLI (all from msy)

Just have to make sure overclocking is there for me, as i havent seen any reviews and have a 3600+ windsor waiting for a board.