OVERHEATING ISSUES...Need some help

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by ibace, Sep 8, 2019.

1. ibace

ibace Member

So just about totally finished a new build...i7 4770 with standard Intel heatsink, GTX 780, 8 GB ram and fresh Windows 10 Pro install using a Gigabyte H81M S2PH board running the latest BIOS.

All up and running, decided to do a couple of benchmark tests, used 3DMark Vantage first up, got maybe 30% through the test and heard the video card's fans ramp up real hard, went to look and noticed no video output. Checked whatever I could; turned the PSU off. Had a look inside case; all appeared normal...restarted left it idling for some time used HWInfo to check temps, all looked OK. Installed 'Heaven' benchmark, started it up...similar result...loud fans and no output to screen...hmm.

Turned PSU power off again, changed the 780 to a known working 970, restarted and once in Desktop decided to try to monitor using AIDA64 Stress Test and HWInfo in unison to try to watch the temperature readings...no sooner started up that got a warning about CPU throttling due to overheating...temps were up to 99°C.

What I'm struggling to understand is if the CPU temps are the cause...why is it resulting in a loss of output to the screen and causing the video card fans to ramp up to full speed, rather than just shutting down the PC?

That AIDA64 Stability Test has been running now for over 25 minutes with the CPU temps about the same, throttling of CPU down to 25% or so, but system still running.

Where do I start? Is it simply a case of CPU cooling with the basic Intel heatsink being totally inadequate...or do I need to try other tests/methods to determine the issue so it may be corrected?

2. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Stock should be sufficient cooling. Could be bad TIM under the heatspreader. Might have to delid it.

3. de_overfiend

de_overfiend Member

Bold Eagle likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    ibace

ibace Member

WAS AFRAID OF THAT...decided to slip in a G3258 and run same benchmarks...to determine whether system or CPU issue...confident the heatsink was seated correctly...wren I installing the G3258 I observed that the TIM material was evenly spread over the CPU imitating the shape and the size of the Intel heatsink...

5. Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

What happened with the G3258? Stock cooler is a POS but it should not go anywhere near that level unless maybe it's in a closed case with no fans whatsoever in a 40C room.

6. OP
    OP
    ibace

ibace Member

G3258 ran for 6 hours with just normal temps, so not a system issue, looks to be the 4770...guess I need to review delidding methods. I know I am capable of following instructions...so it should be an easy task, eh?

7. OP
    OP
    ibace

ibace Member

any members here offering a delidding service by post?

8. Sunder

Sunder Member

Problem is your Pentium is a dual core with an exaggerated 53w TDP, while the 4770 is a quad with hyperthreading on 84w. You could probably put the Pentium in an oven hand it would still keep "normal temps".

More concerning is this:

Good TIM should look like a stain, if it has the ability to imitate anything it's way too thick. That's mostly true of the cheap shit Intel uses by default, and most definitely true of any quality thermal paste. The best contact you're going to get is metal to metal. The only purpose of TIM is to fill in tiny imperfections that allows air to prevent metal to metal contact. That means the less TIM the better.

You're not using thermal pads are you? They are designed for like single watt per square centimetre, not 84w over less than 2 square cm.

9. Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

I agree with Sunder RE less is more with paste but even fairly poorly applied paste but a securely clipped heatsink shouldn't cause 99C. And yes although the Pentium is relatively low power by comparison, anything drawing 50W of power and not moving anywhere as a result = it's a heater (see incandescent light bulb).

How do the idle temps compare between the CPU's? They should both be fairly low all being well as the 4770 will be automatically scaled back.

All said and done what was the source of the CPU? Can you go to the seller and say "hey this thing is farked?"

10. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

11. Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

Never used to be a problem in the old days :lol:. I did crush the very first one I fitted though. Now if those weren't fitted correctly it was game over in about 12 seconds.

[​IMG]

12. OP
    OP
    ibace

ibace Member

Sunder; not using thermal pads.
    demiurge3141; watched that video last night, thinkII'd take more care than Brian.

When I said "wren I installing the G3258 I observed that the TIM material was evenly spread over the CPU imitating the shape and the size of the Intel heatsink" I was referring to the TIM spread that was evident on the 4770.

I've googled a couple of delid vids, seems easy enough and am sure I have the skill...and tools to undertake the job...but most all of them state you have to use Coolaboratory Liquid Pro...and I can't source it any cheaper than about $25 on fleabay, and that one's from Germany...then some proprietary silicon to reseal...

Will refit the 4770, with minimum goo and make sure heatsink is fitted 100%, then test again...

13. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut is the same shit, locally available. Use that instead of the Coolaboratory stuff.

Some more details on delidding in my sig.

14. OP
    OP
    ibace

ibace Member

Ratzz...appreciated...will follow up!

Ratzz likes this.
  15. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

You should not really need to delid just to keep a stock CPU under control. The thermal paste inside the CPUs is not the best but its lasts a really really long time.

More likely just a mounting issue.

16. OP
    OP
    ibace

ibace Member

you may be right...I'm hoping it is the internal paste gone bad...guess I'll find out when it is returned after being delidded, and is retested...who knows?