1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Overland Track, Tassie

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by oldiedaman, Apr 18, 2007.

1. oldiedaman

oldiedaman Member

Just got back from walking the overland track which I thoroughly enjoyed, we were extremely lucky to have perfect weather for the entire 6 days which is very very rare. I haven't quite had time to process all the shots yet but here are a couple which I have done so far. Please let me know what you think, very open to Constructive Criticism:)

[​IMG]
    Rock in Lake Windemere, f/4.0 @ 0.125s (Click for Larger Image)

[​IMG]
    View from New Pelion Hut, f/4.3 @ 0.0250s (Click for Larger Image)

[​IMG]
    Tarn on top of Mt Ossa, f/4.0 @ 0.0031s

2. DuaNo

DuaNo Member

Nice!

I like the 2nd one the best.

3. djjc

djjc Member

Damn thats some beautiful countryside.

no. 1 needs some more context - my mind keeps wondering whats just outside the image that im missing out, what else was around?

4. wisie

wisie Member

Nice shots

First shot is nice and simple but a little boring, Personally I would of used the rock as my foreground composition then included a background.

Second is the winner, fog looks great.

I was up there on the 7th and 8th :) Damn you got some perfect weather :D

5. mliuboy

mliuboy (Taking a Break)

#1 :thumbup: very zen

6. BioNiKaL

BioNiKaL Member

haha im doing this next year :) did freycinet circuit last year :) top stuff :thumbup:

7. OP
    OP
    oldiedaman

oldiedaman Member

I was originally taking pictures of Barn bluff in the background with the rock in the foreground an will try and get some of those pictures processed also, I just really liked how peaceful that picture looked. I was going for the minimalistic zen look.
    To anyone considering this walk, I highly recommend it but make sure you are prepared for all weather.

8. scon

scon Member

That's hilarious... I was going to post up a couple pictures that I took from when I did the overland track between the 1st and the 7th of April. When'd you actually do the walk, we may've been on the walk at the same time.

You mind if I put a couple of my photos in this thread too? It'd be a little silly having two overland threads going @ once.

9. OP
    OP
    oldiedaman

oldiedaman Member

sure thing, would love to see your pics. I did the walk from last wednesday to this monday so only a little bit after you.

10. LINUX

LINUX Member

Others have already covered the first 2, so here's my take on the 3rd:

Not bad at showing what's there, but it seems like a bit of a "6 foot shot", ie you just took it from where you stood as opposed to getting a more interesting perspective such as crouching down/going prone. The top half of the shot (ie, all the blue sky) also seems a little...well, boring. I think it might have been better shot landscape to capture more of the pond (it seems a little cropped, if it was really big it's impossible to avoid though without going for a panorama) and cutting out that extra blue sky. Also getting down lower to get more cloud reflections on the water is always nice :).

Of course, all this advice relies on the topography of the land allowing for it, if it wasn't possible then well done all the same :thumbup:. It's got nice colour, nice background view (which probably wouldn't be visible if you'd gotten low to capture the sky reflection, there's always too much compromise :p), the colours ain't too bad either.

Lastly, I'm all for adopting the Metric system for everything, but it would be nice if you kept your shutter lengths to the standard fractional notation.

11. scon

scon Member

Ok... I'll just add here and update this post... let's try:

[​IMG]

Click for bigger

On the way up to Cradle Mountain on the first day, this is Crater Lake.

[​IMG]

Click for bigger

Taken about 1 meter from pic #3 in fact! Not quite as good weather though.

Edit: how do you do that "Click for larger" thing? Aha!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  12. OP
    OP
    oldiedaman

oldiedaman Member

yeah, the pics were on another computer and Zoomr converted my shutter speeds to that format so thats what I wrote, bit confusing, will fix that when I get the chance.

13. Paronga

Paronga Member

ahh the memories. I did the overland track in january. It was AMAZING. best time of my life, seriously. Thoes pics are amazing (i remember all of thoes places, how cool is that :p)

I'd love to do it again so much. I want to see more, More i tell you!

Its funny, because when i did, we also had perfect weather. No rain, not too hot. Just right. Was abit cloudy, but hey, your in tassie. I just thought it was amusing that perfect weather is so 'rare' :p. The sad thing was that the day after we completed it, on the news there was a report of fire on the track, had to close the thing down and air lift people out. So glad we missed that!

14. land_down_under

land_down_under Member

The New Pelion hut is something isnt it !! Thought about going there for a honeymoon :shock:

Great shots.

15. LINUX

LINUX Member

Ah so it's not your fault then, crit retracted :).

That track looks *so* beautiful. It's certainly on my list of "Ten Bazillion Bushwalks to do Before My Knees Go" now :).

16. scon

scon Member

We stayed in tents the whole time... there was room in the huts, but there's something about staying in a tent for six nights that we really like... on the fourth night, at erm... at... Kia Ora, I woke up for a loo break in the morning and the tent fly zipper had frozen shut! This is in early April mind...

Good times!

17. oli

oli Member

So you peed in your tent? :confused:

18. LINUX

LINUX Member

If you're *really* well aimed you could pee so it lands between the tent and the fly, and pray it all runs under the fly :p. You did face downhill a bit, right?

19. scon

scon Member

Well - in that case I'd be pissing in my boots... which btw were frozen too...

All of the tent sites were on wooden platforms, so I guess it would go down the cracks...

20. pengy

pengy Member

oh man they bring back memories! I did the overland track in Feb 2000 - we had absolutely fantastic weather for all 7 days we were there also. Just looking at those photos are giving me itchy feet :)

Your #1 pic is great. I love it just how it is.