Overstocked aquarium?

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by negatron, May 4, 2019.

1. negatron

negatron Member

Hi All,

I have a 8week old 40L fresh water tank and currently have it stocked with 12 smaller fish.

Namely

3 endler guppies (M, M, F)
    2 normal guppies (M, F)
    5 neon tetras
    1 albino cory
    1 other cory

Water quality has been ok, the last water check showed my nitrogen cycle is coming along nicely, with no ammonia, and pretty controlled nitrates /nitrates

Filtering wise i have an integrated 800Lp/h overhead filter and also a smaller internal filter 200L p/h and a bubble air stone too.

And I do 20% water changes every week.

I'm getting mixed advice about whether or not my tank is overstocked so I thought I would come to the brains trust here.

And If it is overstocked, what should I do?

The fishes seem generally happy and doing ok for now if that helps.

firey4059 likes this.
  2. Bourke

Bourke Member

Any plants.??

That would help with reducing toxic build-up, but to me it looks about right, 12-16 tetra's or guppies in that tank size should fly.
    Your water changes are on point and if there's no buildup through weekly checks, then sleep well.

If they breed though, which the guppies will, then you need a plan B tank.

firey4059 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    negatron

negatron Member

No real plants as yet, though if things stablize I might look into it. But if there are lots of fry that survive they may be given away in the swap thread or traded away for fish food to the local shoppie!

4. japes

japes Member

You're going to have more fish in there soon with those guppies. Probably not overstocked currently - just make sure you're feeding correctly (and the Corydoras will mop up if you overfeed anyway).

You certainly don't need 25 turnovers an hour in there though, you could comfortably get the smaller filter pending the volume of your built in, which should be sufficient. It should also aerate well since its basically a built in function of overheads.

5. OP
    OP
    negatron

negatron Member

Thanks japes!

Yeah, I think i'll go Thanos on the guppy fry that survive, sending them to the pet shop or to the fish give away thread!

On that note, how much should i be feeding?

I have some tropical flakes, some tropical pellets and some Hikari bottom feeder sinking wafers now.

I'm not too sure how much to feed and it feels like I need all 3 as the guppies seems to take out all the food that hit the surface and the neons clear up any pellets that make it to mid tank. So i do a half pinch of flakes, a small (5mm circle) of pellets and half a hikiri tablet every day (mostly).

too much?

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  6. japes

japes Member

It's all about trial and error, general rule is about the size of the fishes eye per day. With the Hikari wafers, you could cut that down to 1/4 a day comfortably - the Cories will mop up any other food.

Depends what size pellets you're feeding, I'd just feed a small pinch per day. Being cold blooded, fish need very little food per day (and can go weeks without).

afcca likes this.