Overvolting a Titan X, the old school way! (using a pencil)

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by Chardiieee, May 24, 2015.

1. Chardiieee

Chardiieee Member

Hey guys

I stumbled upon this article on Reddit and thought it could use some proper criticism just in case its fake or dangerous or something. Perhaps its actually quite ingenious and will help a lot of Titan owners get their monies worth! Obviously it is risky to some degree, but Ive done the pencil mod before with good results (on an old skt775 EVGA 780i motherboard)

nvidia-gtx-titan-x-volt-mod-pencil-vmod

Let me know what you think.

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  2. dirtyd

dirtyd Member

Seems legit, just make sure you measure resistance before and after like the instructions tell you to. Also, be very careful doing voltage measurements in such a confined area, if you slip with your probe and short something out... could really ruin your day :Paranoid:

3. Behemot

Behemot Member

You can measure the voltage on safer spot, like some caps on the backside or so.

Resistance is measured only when power is not appleid so working there on those SMD components could not do any harm when it is not powered :thumbup:

But still, trimmer wins any day in the week!

4. wildemere

wildemere Member

5. zeropluszero

zeropluszero Member

6. whirlybomber

whirlybomber Member

Pah! Philistine!

The correct way to trick Athlons into doing things AMD thought they shouldn't is with a short length of wire pulled from a fine multi strand cable, formed into a small "u" shape, and draped into the appropriate holes in the socket.

I've still got a dual socket A motherboard with mobile Athlons that think they are Athlon MP's on it around here somewhere collecting dust.

Actually, I may have another pair of unused Athlon mobiles as well sitting around...... Ah to have workmates stationed in the U.S. when newegg was first a thing.....

Also: you kids get off my lawn!