1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Overwatch

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Moakek, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Unframed

Unframed Member

It all looks pretty rad IMO

Madengineer likes this.
  2. Yehat

Yehat Member

Necro of an old thread.

With no release date announced for Overwatch 2 currently, along with Overwatch game director Jeff Kaplan leaving Blizzard after an 18 year career there (link), the game is reported to feel in a bit of a limbo/stale state.

On the other hand, the Overwatch League after a hiatus due to COVID had started up again.
    One of the most redic matches recently completed between the San Francisco Shock vs the Houston Outlaws.

Basically the Shock are THE team to beat in league as they are back to back champions and Houston the massive underdogs (in 2020 finished 10th out of 13 teams).

The whole match is here (the first comment in the Youtube has timestamp links to the individual map starts):

If you want to just watch the final play skip to - 2hrs 2minute mark or copy/paste the link below (If I put the timestamp in the embedded URL, OCAU seems to still play from the start) -->
    Code:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NRJnrjOOj8&t=7322s
    The format is the first team to win 3 maps wins the series.
    Houston were up 2-0 (and there was 1 draw), then SF came back to tie it up at 2-2.

On the last map:
    • SF on defence, "full held" Houston (not allowing them to cap even CP1).
    • Houston on defence were desperate so they try to hold them at their spawn door ! -- we've all tried this but this isn't Quick Play or Ranked, it's a Pro match.
    • Ultimately SF break out of spawn but Houston did manage to waste a lot of their time.
    • Before that final play, one of the most crucially "unlucky" or "skilled" moments (depending on where you stand) was 02:01:46.
      Code:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NRJnrjOOj8&t=7306s
      • Houston use bap's window
      • SF counter with Mei wall
      • Houston break a tiny hole in the wall, allowing a damage boosted fire-strike to get through and it takes out SF's bap (their primary healer)!
    • With ~24s left any other team would probably have just panicked and tried to execute the final push 5vs6 but SF waited for their 6th player to return from spawn and went for the final push on the cusp of overtime.
    • On the final push, it looks like SF are in a decent position as Houston have to lamp early, but their Rein gets a HUUUGE flanking shatter which totally turns the fight giving them the win in the series.
    For the series as a whole, the player called "Happy" who plays DPS for Houston played out of his mind on McCree/Hanzo.

3. zbone

zbone Member

Wow, nearly 18 months with no updates.. dead game.

4. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

It’s not dead. Plenty of people playing it still but I think the early fans have dropped off now to an extent.

5. zbone

zbone Member

It is dead in OCE. In majority 3.5k games you get GM smurfs who can't find any 4k games.

6. RamboKazoo

RamboKazoo Member

finding dps games even at diamond in OCE takes almost 30 minutes, mid diamond is where i have to switch to American servers unless i want to wait 1+ hour for a dps game, game is 100% dead in oce.

7. zbone

zbone Member

Yeah, climbing on dps beyond 3.2k without stacking with a tank or better two is just not worth it. Then you get meming stacks in every second game. I am not even sure there are more than 100 active people total in high diamond above in OCE.

In low plat you get quick queue, but see the same people the next game more often that not.

8. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

I only play QP so that might explain the difference in experience :D

9. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

People still playing? 5 months since last post?

Worth reinstalling?

10. Yehat

Yehat Member

Not if you are looking for any new content or major changes. If you want more of the same as at the time you left then sure.

I'm only a very casual player my take is the game is in the same (stale) state as when Kaplan left in April this year imo. Last new character was Echo last year (April 2020) and no real new content other than skins and then "balance" tweaks here and there.

Comp scene had restarted since taking a year off for covid, and the usual popular streamers are still releasing twitch/yt content but game just feels like it's on life support mode with resources focussed on Overwatch 2. Which is rumored to be Q2 next year (which would coincide with the next major season of Overwatch League but dates not final yet).

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
  11. Unframed

Unframed Member

I still play regularly. Playerbase is still strong but like Yehat said. No real new content as it's all sorta reserved for OW2. I'm guessing OW2 will be around June 2022 or there abouts because OWL Season 5 will start in April 2022 using an "early version" of OW2.

12. Yehat

Yehat Member

Wasn't an OW2 thread yet but looks like some progress:
    upload_2022-3-11_16-58-20.png

OW 2 PVP beta (opt-in) signups have started: https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/beta/

Developer Update

tldw: Ow2 is going in to a closed Alpha, and in late April (apparently) the opt-in Beta will start.

13. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I have big hopes for the beta, I'm hoping the game goes in a better direction.

14. RamboKazoo

RamboKazoo Member

they couldn't balance the game properly for more than a season after 30+ seasons and yet we think a part 2 ( more like version 2 ) is gonna be better lawl.