[Owners club] Acer Predator X34 G-sync monitor

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by kot0005, Oct 17, 2015.

1. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

I had this conundrum when i was looking at getting the X34.
    The only other UW curved G-Sync monitor that is scheduled to come out is the X34P. However, that release date was pushed to later next year so that make the decision for me.

As for 2 monitors, depends if you dont mind gaming on a regular monitor. The reason i got the UW is that i WANTED to game on an UW monitor. Could have gotten 2 nice monitors for the price of the X34 but i didnt want to have a dual monitor setup.

There will be no native 100hz G-Sync monitors until alteast Q2 next year at the earliest.

2. Manusdei

Manusdei Member

I've been trying to decide if I want to go ahead and buy this monitor or not, currently using a Dell Ultra sharp 27" from a few years ago (think its a U2713 from memory)

Its served its purpose well, but I would like to upgrade. I feel its not worth spending big money to replace it with a high refresh 27" I'd rather have a screen size upgrade if I'm going to spend money on it.

So with the current Ebay 20% off, I can get the screen from Futu online for $1440 with free postage - the postage is the biggest saver here, the next cheapest is Scorptec with the same price, but add $200+ for freight :(

Problem is, I will need to upgrade my GTX960 2gb card, to be able to run it, so im still looking at dumping nearly 2.5k on a 1080 and the monitor..

Argh, cant decide if I want to spend that much on it right now! Maybe I will, and call it my Christmas present..

3. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

75Hz monitors.

I'm looking at the list of monitors provided earlier and most of them are described by other sites as 60Hz units and the manufacturer's specifications show a horizontal refresh of 56-75Hz. What am I to make of this?

Are these monitors actually 75Hz or are they 75Hz only when running an AMD and it's trying to take advantage of the AMD FreeSync in the card?

Will I remain being limited to 59Hz because I'm running a GTX980 with the AOC/Phillips monitors because I want a cheaper 3440x1440 panel?

4. raincloudx

raincloudx Member

They are only 75hz when running AMD + Freesync :thumbup:

5. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

Cant speak to your financial situation, but i did exactly that.
    Got a Gigabyte 1080 Xtreme Waterforce and a X34.

It has given me mountains of enjoyment, and totally worth the upgrade.

Granted i was coming from a GTX 780 and a 1080P TV :sick:

6. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

Got it. Cheers.

Essentially then the TLDR is 60Hz unless I get a screen which has GSync.... Asus or X34... and $$$$

I'll just have to decide if it's acceptable for me in order to cheapen my entry cost to get a 34" ultrawide screen.

Knowing I'm in the wrong thread for it but what would you do?

7. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

Im not going to pretend that the X34 is a good value for money monitor.
    Its not.
    However, it is the best G-Sync monitor around (if 100hz is enough for you).

I dont upgrade often so the investment was worth it. Also its probably the most important piece of equipment for a PC. You can have the best hardware but if your monitor is shit you are going to have a bad time.

This monitor will last me (fingers crossed) for many years to come.

As of right now, its a glorious piece of tech and worth every penny.

Also, you can get it for $1450 at the moment on eBay :)

8. Manusdei

Manusdei Member

Maybe I'll just buy the monitor for now, and suffer through a couple months of low FPS (does this screen play nicely with any lower resolutions?) and upgrade my GPU for my birthday (end of Jan) as the 1080ti rumors seem to indicate early next year announcement!

9. raincloudx

raincloudx Member

If you are staying with NVIDIA there really is only 1 option for 3440x1440 UW high refresh which is the X34 (wouldnt even bother with the Asus) or the X34P which will hit sometime next year.

I have a feeling the X34P might get cancelled, I believe it was meant to use the same screen as the XR342CK and overclock to 100hz but might have run into problems. If they have switched to the native LG IPS 144hz panel (http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/high_refresh_rate.htm) it wont be out until late 2017/early 2018.

There is a 100hz 3440x1440 35" VA panel but its AUO again :wired:

10. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

It can do it, but it might look pretty awful. In saying that, why not just wait for Xmas sales? Im sure there will be another 20% ebay sale at xmas or for boxing day.

2gb VRAM wont run much on this monitor, the res is too high :Paranoid:

Yeah, i think it will use the LG IPS 144hz panel. I think their original option didnt pass QC (just my thought)

11. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

Very good thoughts on this. Thank you.

Considering my current monitor is going to enter its 10th year next year, I understand and accept your value proposition in the long term investment statement.

$1439 with the 20% off discount code on eBay. Good call.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Acer-Pre...ing-Monitor-/162058948151?hash=item25bb774e37

12. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

I did about a months worth of on and off research into the monitor.
    My main reason for holding off to so long was the impending X34P, which has now been delayed for another atleast 6 months.

I wanted an UW, so that limited my choices.

As for the price, dont think it wont come around again.
    Hell, Mwave have it for $1,479 now aswell.
    https://www.mwave.com.au/product/ac...34-ultrawide-gsync-ips-gaming-monitor-ab68403

However, if you do get one its a biiiiiiiiig box. People at my works mailroom gave me a funny look when i picked it up. One of them was super jelly :lol::D

13. Manusdei

Manusdei Member

The biggest saving is in the postage, as G-PhresH said, the actual price isn't that much better than some of the normal retailers, but the free postage saves myself at least $200!!

14. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

Yeah, thats a big one.
    I paid $50 for courier postage to my work from Futu_Online, but for ease of mind and convenience it was worth it.

15. Manusdei

Manusdei Member

Whelp, just ordered one, hopefully it's all good when it arrives!

16. motion2082

motion2082 Member

I have until Saturday to decide if I want the X34 for $1479 - would love to see how much BLB there is before committing but don't think PLE will like that

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  17. motion2082

motion2082 Member

Might be a good idea, wish I didn't read these thread -
    https://community.acer.com/t5/Predator-Monitors/bd-p/predator-monitors although that's the freesync version
    The real issue with the X34 seems to be the Scanline problems ~ https://community.acer.com/t5/Preda...X34-OC-amp-GSYNC-Scanline-problem/td-p/393009 although hopefully it's a Nvidia issue...some users reporting it's still present with a Driver update

This sums up my decision not to buy the X34 and wait until 2017 - https://community.acer.com/t5/Preda...4-weeks-all-in-calibration-issues/td-p/398380

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  18. eastley

eastley Member

I got an X34 today, is an August build, has issues.

19. Beaistheman

Beaistheman Member

They are currently $1299 at pc case gear guys get on it.

20. motion2082

motion2082 Member

Please elaborate on the "issues" for other OCAU users reading the thread