[Owners club] Acer Predator X34 G-sync monitor

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by kot0005, Oct 17, 2015.

1. [AOB]TommO

[AOB]TommO Member

I believe there's no bad time to buy this monitor - I've had mine for almost 12 months and am still mind blown. Even if there's a replacement for it in say the next 12 months, no way it'll be anywhere near $1200 (assuming feature / spec parity , ie IPS)

2. jET_M@X

jET_M@X Member

Going to have to decide between x34 and rog swift pg348q.

3. motion2082

motion2082 Member

I have to agree with Tommo

I will say the DP logo, lack of swivel, poor osd and 100hz make this just short of perfect. BF4 is sick though, ranked 4th most gamesvpaired with 1080ti

4. thecondor

thecondor Member

I have had both and only different with the Asus is build quality.

But the predator is a awesome screen also.

What ever way you go you will not be disappointed.

5. Splintwhisky

Splintwhisky Member

Is this a good monitor for someone who likes RPG's racing sims and occasional FPS games? I still cant decided between a 16.9 1440p high refresh rate or one of these.

Does the black bars cause enough of a problem? and do people think this is the next step in monitor standards or is it just going to jump to 4k?

6. thecondor

thecondor Member

For me I prefer the UW screen. The UW gets 100hz so thats enough for me. I play all types of games. Although I do not play competitive FPS games like counter strike and what not.

And even 1080ti struggle to push 60frames in most games at 4K still I still think we are a while away before everyone is gaming at 4k.

7. jET_M@X

jET_M@X Member

Looks like the rog swift pg348q is a go.

8. thecondor

thecondor Member

Yep amazing screen.

Still need a better stand for it, the stock one takes up so much bloody room.

9. Bertross

Bertross Member

yup Volta will be the next goal towards 144hz 4k gaming.

10. Deano_20802

Deano_20802 Member

We need a big jump in GPU performance for 100Hz 4k gaming, but high Hz needs a beastly CPU paired with fast RAM and fast communication network (Ring / Mesh / IF etc.) to complement it too.

I can understand why most games will be aiming for 60Hz 4k or worse 30Hz 4k (thanks consoles). It's the opposite of what I want though, 1440p 120Hz > 4k 60Hz for me.

11. donkey33

donkey33 Member

Ebay at $1,236 now.

I've been thinking about this for 6 months now but I think it's the UW aspect that is appealing compared to gaming as I'm only a casual gamer.

PC has a GTX 1080 in it so should be enough to drive this thing but is it a waste of money if I don't play any FPS at all? PC gaming to me is really only strategy titles/city builders/XCOM.

Am I wasting my money on something like this where a 60hz UW would be sufficient for those types of games?

12. jET_M@X

jET_M@X Member

Lol just my luck... day after I bought my rog swift ple had an ex display model for sale at $1180. Missed out on it ><.... ah well still a good monitor.

13. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

14. M4g3X0r

M4g3X0r Member

15. WallySimmonds

WallySimmonds Member

Yeah, I've had mine since the middle of the year and no regrets - one of the best monitors on the market imo. BLB is pretty bad (worse than my Dell, actually) but I hardly notice it really.

One question - what are people using for the monitor stand? I'm about to purchase a new desk and figure it's probably a good time to take a look at the stand situation as well as the standard stand takes up way to much room (the Dell was much better in this regard).

16. M4g3X0r

M4g3X0r Member

Found this one online which will easily be able to accommodate for it: https://www.megabuy.com.au/startech-desktop-monitor-stand-with-cable-hook-p582760.html

I've got a $40 eBay adjustable desk mount coming so I'll try that out first before buying the stand alone stand.

17. AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

Has anyone tried mounting one of these on a Dell u3011 stand? It looks like a standard 100mm vesa config and can certainly handle the weight I'm just not sure if it will be OK for forwards/backwards balance.

My initial plan was to get an ergotech arm but they can't be set up on a glass desk so I'm looking for a stand that will save space and give a decent range of motion.

18. sickbunny

sickbunny Member

I’ve got mine mounted to a U2711 stand and it’s perfectly fine.

19. AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

Awesome thanks sickbunny. I'm a little too paranoid to mount to anything smaller than a 30" stand but it gives me options knowing it will work.

20. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

I have mine mounted to a articulated arm clamped to the desk (well, the Asus version).

Works a treat.