Oyakodon - Japanese Chicken + egg on rice

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by sbm888, Feb 19, 2013.

1. sbm888

sbm888 Member

This recipe is for 1 serving, so multiply as required for additional serves. This recipe is quite light in taste, so feel free to add more of each ingredient, or add additional ingredients like leek, to enhance the flavour of the soup base. (You can also add a packet of dried bonito flakes).

Ingredients
    Chicken - 100 grams (I prefer chicken thigh)
    Onion - 1/4
    Egg - 1
    Soy Sauce - 1.5 tablespoon
    Mirin - 1 tablespoon
    Sake -1/2 tablespoon
    Sugar - 1/2 tablespoon

Method
    1) Boil 70ml water in a pot
    2) Dice up chicken to bite sized pieces and place in the water.
    3) When it starts to boil again, add the soy sauce, mirin, sake, onion and sugar into the pot
    4) Whisk an egg in a separate bowl and pour over the boiling mixture just before you want to serve
    5) Turn off heat and cover for a few minutes or until you think the egg is the way you want it.

http://www.onthechoppingboard.com/p/oyako-don.html#.USKWtx3-IQo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  2. scon

scon Member

Yummo. I love these mildly flavoured japanese dishes. Thanks for the recipe!

3. Pirki

Pirki Member

Very nice should be an easy dish for dinner :thumbup:

4. Dogo

Dogo Member

Thanks for the recipe , it made for a good tasty dinner. I used dark soy by mistake and it turned everything very brown.

I also gave the onion and chicken a quick char in the pan to bring out some more flavour.

5. ewok85

ewok85 Member

One of my favourite donburi dishes!

I highly recommend adding a small amount of dashi powder to the watch at the start - gives it a little extra kick. You might also do well with two eggs - whisk one normally, and add it first, and gently whisk the second just enough to break up the yolk and add it last. Stop the heat before the yolk on the second egg is completely cooked.

You can also experiment with the amount of shoyu and mirin to find a taste you like. I usually add equal parts shoyu and mirin to give it a stronger taste.

Oh, and "Oyako-don" comes from Oya (parent) and Ko (child) as it uses both chicken and eggs. Always creeps me out a little :lol: