1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

oysters

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by skyque, Aug 8, 2008.

1. skyque

skyque Member

went and brought a dozen oysters with the shells already open, i heard when its open its dead so is it safe to eat, and anybody know how long they last in the refrigerator and whats the best way to eat them i.e. barcebecue, thanks

2. thrillhouse

thrillhouse Member

cut some lemon, wash the oysters, I just run a bit of water over them, and then squirt some lemon juice and eat, fresh.

Not sure how long they keep in the fridge, but they are never in our fridge for more than 2 days.

I believe fresh with a bit of lemon is the best way to eat them.

3. jujibelly

jujibelly Member

I had a family friend give me a dozen or so, i never tried it. Now i know why, they taste like crap, i love fish but it tastes like raw fish so i didn't bother cooking ans trying cos the initial taste was horrible. If i had to cook it next time, i would lemon-salt and pepper and bbq em.

4. OP
    OP
    skyque

skyque Member

just had some oysters raw with lemon as suggested and they were quite nice.

5. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

Eat them immediately. They will lose their freshness every hour they are open. No idea how long they last, because my oysters get eaten the same day they are bought.

And yeh, squeeze of lemon is all it needs :thumbup:

Or if you don't like the oyster taste, try it kilpatrick style. Google a recipe.

6. BlackTigerTech

BlackTigerTech (Banned or Deleted)

This man speaks the truth!:thumbup:

Kilpatrick style is fairly simple to make and quick too. All you have to do is rinse them like thrillhouse explained and then just top them up each with 2 spoonful of grated parmesan cheese, 2 spoonful of small-diced bacon and a bit of salt/pepper to taste. You can also add a tiny bit (1/4 spoonful) of sour/fresh cream to help it keep moist depending on your taste.

I used to do it all the time back in Europe, as we had access there to a very cheap supply of oysters and it made it so difficult to pass having oysters quite regularly!:thumbup::D

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  7. scon

scon Member

Some good, some not so good info in here.

The perfect oyster (which isn't always possible) is opened in front of you - carefully to preserve as much of the liquor inside the shell as possible, loosened by the shucking knife, squirted with abit of lemon and down the hatch without delay. This isn't always possible, and I generally buy oysters opened on the half shell.

I wouldn't eat them any later than the day after i bought them. A good oyster should taste just like the ocean, it's a wierd concept, but if you've had good one's you'll know what I mean. Coincidentally, the best oysters I've had were from Faros Brothers fishmarket in Marrickville NSW, every winter they sell pacific oysters at $6.50 per dozen, we'd go nuts on them. If I don't just have them as is, one of my favourite ways to eat them is with soldiers of buttered sourdough (lurpak butter :: drool :: ) with a squeeze of lemon, pinch of salt and a glass of stout. Yummo!

Edit: and I'd never ever rinse them if eating them fresh, the liquor is one of the best bits - if i was crumbing them, sure, but why get rid of that lovely oyster taste?!

8. BlackTigerTech

BlackTigerTech (Banned or Deleted)

I am so raiding this place tomorrow!!!!:lol:

Thanks for the info!:thumbup::)

9. sormuijai

sormuijai Member

A crack of black pepper before you squeeze fresh lemon on :thumbup:

Or tetsuya oyster vinaigarette.....MMMmm

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

11. scon

scon Member

I haven't been for awhile since I moved to Brissie in November last year, but let me know what it's like!

Edit: I love googlemaps street view... the place looks dodgy from the outside, but you'll know it because there'll be shitloads of cars parked out the front.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  12. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Yep, and keeping them in the fridge is a "no no" after opening. And for oyster it's very important to have a trustworthy source. That said: I don't like oyster that much, but I am forced to eat them quite frequently by business invitations. Japanese are crazy fro them and think everybody shares their enthusiasm.

13. scon

scon Member

Yeah, but Japanese are keen on both rawness and texture, it's not suprising that they love oysters.

And i mentioned that oysters are better in winter, that's because in summer, rather than piling on protein/fat to make themselves taste better, they spawn, so they're just wanking themselves into the ocean.

Shame really, coz you really feel like eating them in the summer.

14. SchRAMBO

SchRAMBO Member

argghh i want some right now, I can't stop salivating after reading all of that.

I personally reckon like with most seafood like the others have said is have them natural, a tiny squeeze of lemon juce and some rock salt if they dont' already taste all salty'n'good mmmmm...

Oyster dip is awesome too.

2 packs of Philadelphia Cream Cheese, and a tin of John West smoked Oysters. Tip the juice and most of the oysters into a bowl with the phili cheese, mix with a bar mixer. add a wee bit of lemon juice to the mix and garnish the top with two or three of the oysters and parsley on top. great with black pepper water crackers. :D

15. GreasyBear

GreasyBear Member

Tabasco Sauce is nice with Oysters too.

16. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Killing the fishy taste some people like so much (not me)

17. SyN

SyN Member

oysters are like steak
    the better they are the less processing you need

nice oysters = shell -> mouth NOM NOM
    lemon juice if its not fresh enough
    tabasco is its not fresh at all

18. caspian

caspian Member

plain fresh or with lemon is nice, I also like mine with a small dab of cocktail sauce - it goes really well. the cocktail sauce can be improved by adding lemon and tabasco too.

19. pugsley

pugsley Member

That sounds awesome!

Thats what i love about living in tassie. 10 minute drive and im at the doorstep of an oyster farm that sells at around $8-$9 per dozen shucked in front of you while you wait, all year around. :leet:

Oysters which have been opened will last safely up to 5 days in the fridge at 1-4C. Unopened oysters will last up to 7 days if stored in good conditions below 7C and kept covered.

20. da_ilks

da_ilks Member

We've had them uncooked with a squirt of tequila in the past, not bad for something different.