P180 radbox finished

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Bion1c, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Bion1c

Bion1c Member

Well my radbox project is done. I had intended to put up a worklog as i went, but i've been really busy with my thesis so haven't had a lot of time on my hands. Anyway, i thought i would share the finished results with you guys and see what you think.

(Well.. I actually finished it a couple of weeks ago, but havent had time to put up pics till now)

The original inspiration for this project came from very nearly winning a "most ghetto case award" at a LAN for my last WC system. Yeah it had some duct tape but it performed well :) So for the new system, I decided it had to look good - AND NO GAFFER TAPE!

The last pic i put up showing my progress was this one:

[​IMG]
    Click to view full-sized image!
    Hosted by UGBox Image Store

At that point I was still collecting parts, but it gives you an idea of the main components. They are:

Rad: Thermochill PA180
    Pump: MCP655
    CPU block: Cathar G4
    GPU block: Swiftech MCW60
    Tubing: Tygon 1/2"
    Fittings: 5/8" brass (inside radbox)

The radbox itself was going to sit on top of my black p180, with the water tubes running in through brass fittings to the back of the case. I built the radbox itself out of MDF, so it would fit the dimensions exactly. Also, the inside of the box (mdf) is coated with a good layer of PCB lacquer to give it soem degree of water resistance. The front grill can be removed to access the dust filter over the rad for cleaning.

without further ado - pics!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The above pics dont really do the radbox paintwork justice. In normal lighting it looks a deep glossy black - similiar to the p180 but a bit shinier.

Here's a shot of my desk:
    [​IMG]
    (Yeah its a mess but i have a thesis to write give me a break)

Overall I'm really happy with the system. It achieved all my design goals and gives excellent performance for relatively low noise. Later on when i have time i will reduce the noise even further but for now its all good :thumbup:

2. genesis[OFT]

genesis[OFT] (Banned or Deleted)

mmm....looks very beasty....now just put like red glowing leds as eyes on the front.... :D

3. taztassio

taztassio Member

paint ur other monitor black mate, and it will be sweet. nice work tho :D

4. xinzhitan14

xinzhitan14 Member

nice job! looks great.
    ahah yes i would agree that you should paint your sony monitor black... it would match everything well.

5. OP
    OP
    Bion1c

Bion1c Member

Hehe yeah it does kinda stand out. Hopefully can replace it with some lcd goodness in the not too distant future.. a nice 24" would go well i think :D

6. Goth

Goth Grumpy Member

7. OP
    OP
    Bion1c

Bion1c Member

Yeah the hose was a little short there, but it wont come loose. The tubing is 1/2" ID, whereas the barbs are 5/8", so it was a bit of a struggle to wiggle it over there. Nice thing about the 5/8" barbs tho is they are basically 1/2" ID ..

hrm but yer i might put a clamp on it just to be safe .. cheers :)

8. ice_cool

ice_cool Member

Wow another P180 mod, this is gettign so damn common that i think soon unmodded P180s will be an endangered species, i mean ive seen like 5 mods in 2 weeks.

That looks pretty cool and professional, not the least ghetto. I think it would look even better if u had mad it the same length as the case, like i saw this guy do once when making a radbox for his lianli case on bit-tech - just bleands in more. But meh still looks good. :thumbup:

9. Maghemi

Maghemi Member

thats pretty damn cool.

10. sn0wb0ardar

sn0wb0ardar Member

I agree... or a Knight Rider led kit FTW. :D

11. Goth

Goth Grumpy Member

What kind of coolant additive did you use - just Nulon or something like that?

It looks like a very nice bright green.

12. OP
    OP
    Bion1c

Bion1c Member

I used the swiftech one dude. I mixed it up according to their instructions, 1 bottle of additive -> 1 lt water.

Linkage: http://www.pccasegear.com/prod1380.htm

the tygon tubing is nice and clear to it helps bring out the green-ness :)

13. DarkLanDeamon

DarkLanDeamon Member

How did you wire it all up, does it start when your pc boots up?

14. OP
    OP
    Bion1c

Bion1c Member

I decided that the only connection between radbox/pc was going to be the water hoses, so there's a PSU built into the radbox. I hooked up a switch to that that i turn on separately to the pc.

Everything is running 12v in there tho, so the alternative plan was to run a wire down to the PSU in the case. Only issue with that tho is you can have problems if the wires from a PSU are too long. i think it might have something to do with the increased resistance or something?

I'm quite happy with it how it is, but if separate switches wasnt acceptable, I'd wire a relay so the 240v power going to the radbox was turned on by the 12v in the pc..