P3V4X and 1006003 BIOS

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by GRBaker, Jun 27, 2001.

1. GRBaker

GRBaker Member

Anyone tried the new beta BIOS or have a clue what is does??

2. h2k

h2k Member

I have the 1006.003 bios, I think all it does is add cD0 stepping support for coppermines

3. Peacekeeper

Peacekeeper Member

4. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Ah the good old forums :)

Haven't tried the 1006 BIOS, still on 1005.
    BIOSes aren't something to experiment with unless you're having problems, and since I'm trouble free and not using a cB0 chip, I'll give this one a pass...

5. Peacekeeper

Peacekeeper Member

Hi Persian welcome back. As i have a 1gig eb now I needed to update to the 1006.002 bios to stop the cpuid errors though I could have turned off the bios update enabled in the bios.

Cy around Tony

6. Bort

Bort Member

Is the cD0 stepping the Tualatin? Or another version of the Coppermine. There are rumours going round that an ABIT board will be able to support Tualatins with just a BIOS upgrade. That would be brilliant to be able to get a third chip onto my beloved P3V4X, instead of having to replace it when my P3@882 doesn't cut it anymore.

EDIT: Just read Chris Nolan's post in the Intel forum, cD0 is not Tualatin :(

Last edited: Jun 27, 2001
  7. Odd

Odd Member

Hello everybody!

First of all I will say I am happy to see the forum back.

A week ago I flashed my BIOS from 1005 to 1006.003 and It runs very stable for a week. I also think the 1006.003 helped me to got ride of some freezes in the game TOCA2, but maybe this have other reasons.
    (Excuse my bad english)

8. Powermike

Powermike Member

Hi, also nice to see you all back here. And another European found his way back here, FROGMASTER (you remember his "FROGMASTER MOD" for the P3V4X which cured all those cold boot problems?) also did his first post in the Site Discussion Forum...

You're right, the only change in 1006.003 is the support for the cD0-Stepping Coppermine (has nothing to do with the new Tulatin!). Just mounted a cD0-1000EB on my P3V4X (thanks EBAY! :D) , got an error with 1006 beta 2, runs fine with new 1006 beta 3.

Powermike

9. OP
    OP
    GRBaker

GRBaker Member

So nothing I need then. 1006.002 will do until I go Dual Athalon or Pentium 4 (when the wife isn't looking).

I got AGP*4 working again (without hacing the BIOS) then loaded lastest 12.41 drivers for my MX and it stopped again... gota love this P3V4X, keeps you busy.

10. Smurf

Smurf Member

The latest bios

I'm with PersianImmortal, I'm still on the 1005 bios and i don't fool around with betas unless it is very verified by other to be safe and reliable.

I've downloaded them.
    I still have to admit that i havn't got 4x AGP working, I've got the 12.41 detonators and the 4.32 4in1's. THe reg hack didn't work the last time i did it and I don't feel confident in doing FrogMaster's physical hack.

11. pmillwee

pmillwee Member

I've found that the only 4in1's that will allow the AGP4X to be set in the bios and then maintain it after booting to OS is the 4.29's. Can anyone else verify this for me. BTW using Windows ME:)

12. pmillwee

pmillwee Member

Just tried boot into W2K with AGP set to 4X and 4.29's and Sandra verified 4X set.:)

13. Roger

Roger Member

heh, I'm using the 1005 bios and I have CPUID errors, I just ignore them

Do the actually mean much?

I'm running a cC0 P!!! 800EB

14. Peacekeeper

Peacekeeper Member

That usually means update bios as bios does not recognise stepping of the cpu. Asus link
    http://www.asus.com.tw/products/techref/Cpu/p3cpueb.html
    says all bioses recognise 800ebs but I think in your case yours is not recognised. You can do as you are doing, turn off bios update in bios or update bios to 1006.002 or 003. Up to you. If you update the bios use the dos boot disk method.
    Tony

15. Smurf

Smurf Member

I've now upgraded to 1006003 BIOS with AsusUpdate.

I'm now using the new beta BIOS even though i didn't need to (Celeron 600).
    I'm using the VIA 4.32 4in1's and i finally got 4x AGP working :D ... however I cannot enable SideBand Addressing OR FastWrites. (I'm using an old GeForce2 MX)

It will also screw up if I overclock! :mad:

I'm using the Reghack that was released ages ago, but don't know if it helped.
    This looks like the end of the line, I can't be buggered trying anything else. I'll probably put the AGP back to 2x and overclock the CPU back to 855 MHz. :cool: