P3V4X and 512 megs of memory

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by scummer, Jul 19, 2001.

1. scummer

scummer Member

I just ordered a second 256 meg stick of Crucial ram. I havn't recieved it yet but was wondering if any of you saw any difference going from 256 to 512? I'll probably migrate over to Win XP for a little sadistic self pleasuring, so the added memory shouldn't go to waste if I get no improvement under WinME. I was just curious what others found.

ASUS P3V4X, Apollo Pro133A,1005 bios
    Step ThermoDynamics PIII 700 @ 933 1.90 vcore
    Promise Fasttrack 100 (raid 0)
    2x IBM GXP75
    SB Live Platinum
    256 meg Crucial cas2 ram
    Pioneer 115 DVD
    Plextor 16/10/40A CDRW
    Utobia DVD decoder with Remote
    ZIP Drive
    Netgear nic
    WIN ME
    Radeon 32DDR clocked 187MHz

2. OP
    OP
    scummer

scummer Member

One other thing, are there any settings in windows that should be changed to help make full use of the extra memory? Maybe a program like cache man or something along those lines?
    Thanks!

3. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Definitely use Cacheman because it limits your vcache forcing your system to use the physical RAM as much as possible rather than the hard disk.

4. Powermike

Powermike Member

Win Me with 512 MB RAM is wasted money unless you are using dtp or graphics editing programs that need a lot of memory. On a normal Office/Gaming-PC you'll never notice a difference between 256 and 512 MB RAM besides a bigger disk cache.

If you use cacheman which limits the disc cache you'll loose that only advantage, too.

Maybe using Windows 2000 and XP (both can handle big amounts of memory better than Win9x/Me) there might be a small performance increase using 512 instead of 256 MB but not worth the money...

Powermike

5. OP
    OP
    scummer

scummer Member

Thanks for your responses. The memory only set me back $45.00 so I think I'll try it. It just might come in handy for a little photoshop work or it may end up in an older system thats a little shy on memory. Again, Thanks.