P3V4X-CPU UPGRADES-TUALATIN is it possible?

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by KIRK, Jul 16, 2001.

1. KIRK

KIRK Member

I would like to hear some input on the subject of cpu upgrades for the P3V4X. Is the PIII 1GHZ the fastest cpu that board will ever take or with a new type of adapter (and new bios) be able to use the new Tualaltin cpu's?I know that some of you out there seem to have a little more inside information with VIA, ASUS,INTEL
    and little more knowledge with electronics modifications. I've been reading some information from INTEL about the voltages that the Tualatin will use .The default is 1.5 vcore but in the tech paper that INTEL put out it states that cpu can take a max of 1.75
    vcore if I read the chart right. So maybe if Asus will bless us with a new bios that would recognize the Tualatin cpu and some type of adapter that will regulate the vcore voltage maybe we all can extend the life of this board. I just read over at the Via Hardware site that ASUS is coming out with a new board called TUV4X that will be able to use the Tualatin cpu and that this board is identical
    to the CUV4X which is almost the same as the P3V4X.So I would like to hear your thoughts and ideas. thanks
    KIRK

2. h2k

h2k Member

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but my asus s370-133 adaptor has jumper settings for the core voltage that goes down to 1.4 volts.

3. OP
    OP
    KIRK

KIRK Member

well, I've been doing some searching and over at powerleap (I've never have used their products so I can't say if their products are any good or not ) but they say they are working on a FCPGA-FCPGA2 converter card called neo+ that will be able to use the tualatin cpu with our older boards and they might be working one for us slot one owners. I don't know if our bios will be able to work with an adapter and the tualatin cpu. Maybe there might be some hope or it's just time to buy a new board.

4. Manaz

Manaz (Damned or Belated)

Considering their past history, I'd not hold my breath for Powerleap to release a converter any time soon - I think we're all waiting still for a converter to let P3s run in a BP6 motherboard...

EDIT by Manaz: I said BX motherboard. I meant BP6. Damn I'm dumb :p And I can't spell either. So I edited again. Right now, I'm considering deleting my post and starting again. :p

Last edited: Jul 26, 2001