P3v4x tweeks and tricks

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by tdreamer, Jul 4, 2001.

?

Did You find it usefull ?

1. Yes

25 vote(s)
    80.6%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  3. A Little

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  1. tdreamer

tdreamer Member

I opened this thread hoping that anyone who knows how to make
    this board a better one can add some info or a link here .
    Be it about better stability , overclocking or overhaul performance increace.Information like this is difficult to find ......unless We put
    all the pieces in one place. HERE !

My board add ons:
    1. clock generator HS+Fan = higher O/C speeds
    2. WPCREDIT (http://www.h-oda.com)=4way memory interleave
    or George's memory enabler from http://www.viahardware.com/memoryenable.shtm
    3.Frogmaster modification for Geforce GTS cold boot problems http://www.btinternet.com/~p3v4x/vr_mod.htm
    (I'll do it this weekend)

2. Peacekeeper

Peacekeeper Member

Ok why not will add some surprising how many users still stumped . I had a aussie tech scratching his head over registry errors and cpuid errors yesterday. Never considered an bios update or slocket change.

1 do not use 4 sticks of ram the via chipset has issues with more than 3 sticks especially when running at 133 fsb.

2. Agp4x is a hit and miss affair mine runs good others do not . The latest via drivers load the registry hack to load agp4x from reports I see.

3. the cold boot issue mentioned above is a GF2 full version issue.
    ie v7700 type.

4. Use a 300w power supply

5. Good brand name ram works better with this board do not mix generic and brand name.

6 slocket adapters use asus s370-133, asus s370-dl, and MSI 6905 ver 2.3. Abit 3 and iwill users have success as well though less. Failure to use these may give registry errors.

7 use 1006.002 bios or better to get 1ghz eb recognition. The new D_0 stepping cpus require 1006.003 bios.
    Cpuid errors mean update bios in simple terms.

8 for bioses and faq use the www.asuscom.de site best for updates etc

9. For best irq sharing disable 1 or both comm ports and set PnP OS installed to no.

Ok any1 else.
    tony:rolleyes: :o :eek:

Ok addendum to add to totos.
    Via site has some good utility programs ie geaorges 1 www.viahardware.com.

Do not run 2 monitoring programs at once.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2001
  3. Toto

Toto Member

Disable ACPI!!!! This has added stability to my system, especially when watching DVD's.

Also, use LW 3 for sound blaster cards.

Don't enable smart cooling in PC Prob, it causes voltage spikes.

Using the undocumented jumper to bump voltage up (from 3.5 to 3.6) adds to stability.

Use WPCR set to tweek RAM, but use george's 4-way progy to enable 4-way interleaving.

Any more...

4. Bort

Bort Member

Put your sound card in slot 6 if you can to minimize IRQ conflicts.

I have my cooler sucking air through the fins, and blowing across the RAM and the clock generator chip that has a heatsink stuck to it.

"Grease your greenie" - the chipset fan which has a green heatsink on it, located between the CPU and RAM slots. Putting some thermal compound on the chip (if you can get the heatsink off) will give better heat transfer and possibly more stability.

Also, using WPCREDIT, set registers 50 and 51 to FF for a little extra performance. I personally don't use WPCREDIT, I use beta4w which sets these values, as well as enabling 4-way interleave, at system startup (in the autoexec.bat or start menu). It was quite popular among the users of the old forums; hopefully they will return in read-only format soon.

5. OP
    OP
    tdreamer

tdreamer Member

Keep it rolling !

Thanks for more info on the subject.

Yes . I forgot to mention chipset grease.
    Toto !

Where can I find more info on this undocumented jumper.
    I read about it B4 , but no links. And what is LW3 for SB Live? I want to do all the things I can
    TKX!

Bort !

Where can I find Beta4w ? And what registers 50,51 actually do ?
    Do You have some links to more info ? I missed the old forum.
    TKX!

This is getting interesting !!!

6. Peacekeeper

Peacekeeper Member

Ok the undocumented jumper is the VIo jumper next to the cpu fan power takeoff pins. default is 3.3v actually runs at 3.46 or so on mine and 2/3 gives 3.6V.

LW3 is Creatives Live ware 3 program. I found that to get rid of the emi*** errors I have to load teh latest driver from Creative for mt Live card. This still did not get things working so then loaded LW3 and all hunky dorey..

Some posters say do not load LW3 I am 1 who says opposite.

The cpu fan seems to run at 10V on this board so you get 300rpm or so lower than u should. this reportsed on the old OC forums.

Tony

Last edited: Jul 7, 2001
  7. Bort

Bort Member

WPCREDIT user guide can be found at http://viahardware.com/memtweakguide1.shtm
    If you have a look in WPCREDIT at the registers, it shows what each one does. Just looking myself at the prog, it enables In Order Queue depth to 4, read-around-write, CPU/DRAM prefetch depth to 4 level, and a heap of other stuff. Just don't ask me to explain what all those mean :p :p

Beta4w can be downloaded from http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/slop/beta4w.com

Have a look at this thread: http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1317

which has a readme file (scroll down to PersianImmortal's post) for beta4w.

Hope this helps out somewhat.

8. OP
    OP
    tdreamer

tdreamer Member

Thanks !

Thanks a mil Bort and Peacekeeper !

This is exactly what I was looking for !

Peacekeeper !

I did the Jumper , but get garbled display once in a while. Since mobo takes 3.5 volt as it needs will 3.6v make a diff.:confused: :D

Noone else with ideas ?

9. Peacekeeper

Peacekeeper Member

If 3.6 causes issues leave it at the 1/2 pins. It may be due to your video card not liking the 3.6v to teh slot or ditto your ram and as far as I see the default is ok. One only tries the 2/3 setting if things are unstable.
    Tony

10. Toto

Toto Member

Part of the prob with your display may be due to what display setting you have in the BIOS. The two options are for caching vs. not caching (I think it's UC and UCSW). Some Video cards can't support it.

In my personal experiences with two different video cards I have found no improvements in performance by enabling the caching. In fact I find that at times it causes things like garbled displays...

11. StarDuster

StarDuster Member

P3V4X Freezes

Hi, I just installed a new P3V4X about a week ago and I'm having problems with it freezing, usually after a period of inactivity. I also can't get it to run games at 4x AGP as they always freeze right after launch.

I'm running a Visiontek GeForce3, Pentium3 700 @ 933, 512mb PNY PC133, and lots of case cooling.

300w Antec PS, 46 gig Maxtor udma 66 with 17 gig Maxtor udma 33 daisy chained together.

Pioneer Slot Loading 10x40x DVD, Hollywood Real Magic DVD decoder, Creative 4x2x32x CDRW (daisy chained together). SoundBlaster Live! XGamer.

Any suggestions?

"What if my sole purpose for living is to serve as a warning to others?"

12. KngtRider

KngtRider Member

No offence but where you get this BS info ?

quote from p3v4x Manual:

AGP and PCI 1 share
    PCI 2
    PCI 3 and 6 share
    PCI 4 and 5 and USB share

end quote

this info is for devices that are not ACPI comptabile or are being stubborn or non acpi os eg NT4 or whatever

if you play around with irqs/bios you will see the same slot relationships regardless if you read the manual or not

better to let it all on AUTO and let OS manage everything

yep do that

what fan, p3v4x is sink only (yeh i know you using example) do grease northbridge. p3v4x has clipped greenie

do you even own/had a p3v4x ?

dont use beta4w, use george's 4w patch(ntcompatible.com)

automated installer - installs a .sys for NT/2k and a .vxd for 9x/ME
    perfectly stable and works unlike that crapo wpcredit which locks system

george's utilites are for 691 family via northbridge (691 693 694)
    the 4way one does work on 694 cause i and others use it and verifyd it works

i have had the sblive fixer/latency by george installed to try to remedy the sb16 probs from the pci-isa southbridge but it only made things better prolly 10% better

13. Peacekeeper

Peacekeeper Member

Kngtrider
    Re your sb16 issue I tried all the pci latency fixes but did not try the george's fix as i thought it was only for 686b chip ( that was my next thing I was to try as well as trying another model audio card). What I fixed it by by accident is I removed the sb drivers from device manager and let ME load its own creative audio pci driver and the Crackling dissapeared. It came back when I reloaded the sb driver and went away again when I put back the ME driver.

Strange.

I dont agree with letting OS do the irq assignment when I did that 98 put my video and nic on same irq (and the nic was in slot 2 and the SB and other NIC on another irq. Windows said no conflict. Ha had the biggest crash in history when I played a song off the net. I always suggest disabling a comm port and setting pnp OS to no though the final choice is the users I only suggest ways to fix issues.

Never touched the greenie never will. I have proved the cpu fan power offtakes are under voltage . My same fan is running 500rpm higher on my new TUA266. The cpu is steady now at 21C Mb temp 21C Outside temp 15C.

Starduster
    Agp4x is an issue with this board, If you can not get it you can try 2 things, increase VIO jumper voltage to pins 2/3 or 3.6v, run card fan off motherboard. The other is set it to agp2x and accept things. Ok my GF2MX runs at agp4x steady but u can be lucky. Try no fast writes as well.

The 512mb how is that made up 1 stick 2,4? Also what ram? Have you got any other cards ie nics. Check the irq listings as whether any cards share irqs. That and temperature is where I would start to look. that is is u havent 4 sticks of ram.

Will await your info.
    Tony

Last edited: Aug 16, 2001
  14. KngtRider

KngtRider Member

agp4x is not an issue

nvidia has a s***** bios and 4x compat

mga g400 4x+sba+uwsc from the minute i plugged it in last jul

its either via or irq issue for sound i have done too much bloody testing on this as for hrs

the reason no crackle on remove driver is you shutodwn the card when you removed the driver heh no bus traffic!

p3v4x slot#4 no 4way

i have everything enabled atm

com1+2+paralel+usb+pci nic+pci modem+pci scsi+pci sound+agp video

your theory of no com2 is wrong :p

as for pnp os setting

cards need it , off they arnt enumerated by bios thus no go

15. DeLaw340

DeLaw340 Member

StarDuster
    I also have a G-Force 3 ( ASUS 8200DEL ). It also locks up in 4X on some games but it runs just fine with 3D mark 2001, but only scores 18 points better on 4X vs 2X. I haven't had time to find a solution yet but I wiil try someday.

16. StarDuster

StarDuster Member

P3V4X System Info

I have increased the voltage to pins 2/3 or 3.6v, but I actually didn't notice any changes. The system is running decent now though. The RAM I have is two 256mbsticks of PNY PC133 non ECC. I installed the Latest VIA drivers (the 4in14.32v) and they eliminated 4x even showing up in Windows (PCI List). It says that the motherboard doesn't support 4x transfers now. When I ran a program called "Bios Wizard" it reported my Chipset as being: VIA 82C691 rev 194, does that sound right?

I have installed the Detonator 14.61 drivers too. My 3DMark 2001 scores average 5025, which isn't the greatest but not bad for an overclocked P3 700.

--StarDuster

17. DeLaw340

DeLaw340 Member

It would be best not to run 3.6v The G-Force 3 dosn't need it. As far as the 4X I do get it to run most games just fine with 4.32 and 12.60 drivers. But in 2X all works well. your score On 3D Mark 2001 is not bad at all if you are running the card at default settings.

18. KngtRider

KngtRider Member

Re: P3V4X System Info

if you scroll up to:

>>george's utilites are for 691 family via northbridge (691 693 694)

that will answer your question (apollo 133a =694x)

we/I dont write these things for nothing

i tried bios wizard,nothing uselfull but it is good having a win32 ver of the classic and unreplaceable ctbios.exe

19. StarDuster

StarDuster Member

3DMark 2001 Score

I neglected to mention that it wasn't at default settings. That is having the GeForce3 overclocked to 230/530. It will go farther but it's not as smooth and stable.

Thanks for the replies and the enlightenment on the Bios Wizard. I was starting to get concerned that I might have been sold a counterfeit motherboard.

--StarDuster

20. Bort

Bort Member

I chose slot 6 for the following reasons, looking in the same manual that you are reading:
    Slot 1 - no, shared with AGP.
    Slot 2 - no, just memories from old times when it was said to keep sound card away from video card, as electrical noise from the video card can cause static though the speakers connected to your sound card. Also keeping a bit of a gap for air to reach the fan on video card.
    Slot 3 - as for slot 2.
    Slots 4 & 5 - trying to minimize chance of conflicts with USB.
    This leaves slot 6 as the best spot. I have had no conflicts (with an Aureal Vortex 2 based sound card.) Sorry for spouting such BS.

Well I dual boot with Linux, with not as much plug and play support. Everything runs just dandy on my system, in Win 98SE and Linux, with PnP OS set to off in BIOS. Admittedly, I don't have many other cards, ony vid and sound.

Well, you've got me there. Yes there was a typo, I didn't mean to say "chipset fan". I haven't put any thermal grease on the chipset heatsink myself, so I can't vouch for its effectiveness personally, I was just repeating a tip which I saw elsewhere.

EDIT: I'll leave that quote alone.

(also fixed a couple more typos)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2001