P4X266 - First Impressions

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by doolz, Aug 15, 2001.

1. doolz

doolz Member

Looks like it is not quite as fast as i850, but not far behind it either. Although, there is still time for Via and its partners to improve and tweak it. It's no wonder Intel are miffed. They put all their effort into creating the ultimate platform for P4, and they find that a significantly simpler chipset will seriously threaten i850's performance crown.

If this is what a single channel DDR chipset can do, it's a shame that there will be no dual channel DDR out for P4 in the near future.

2. westicals

westicals Member

Just imagine an nForce type chipset with the P4! mmmmmmmm bandwidth. Also, maybe AMD should look at this and realise its time to up their FSB to 200MHz (400Mhz DDR) to compete with the P4

3. OP
    OP
    doolz

doolz Member

I think they'll wait for DDR II before they do that. PC2700 (DDR333) is out end of this year / early next year, and although I have no information to back it up, my guess is that there will be 133 and 166 fsb flavour thoroughbreds.

Hopefully with a bit of an overclock we can get to 200 DDR fsb. However, P4s will be up to quad pumped 133 fsb by then.