P8P67 Pro hard drives just disappeared...

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by munchkin1, May 5, 2012.

1. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

Been working fine for over a year

Go to download something, notice both my HDDs have disappeared, only my SSD is left.

Restart, run testdisk, it finds one of the hdds and scans it as 'ok'

That disk is ridiculously laggy though, try to copy a 2kb file to it and it freeze for a few minutes before copying.

Other disk won't show up at all.

Haven't installed or updated anything, it just broke out of nowhere.

What the fucking fuck, this is seriously enraging, I have a bunch of uni work to do. I doubt 2 hdds of completely different ages would fail at the exact same time. Perhaps something has updated itself in the background?

Any ideas? Running windows 7 pro on intel x25-m SSD (which is working fine)

Also windows is taking like 5 minutes to boot for some incredibly annoying reason

2. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Member

I'd be putting your HDD's into an enclosure to make sure they still work.

It could also be the sata cables, motherboard drivers, bios, etc.

If your drives still work externally, then it's likely the motherboard.

3. t8y

t8y Member

b3 version of motherboard?

4. Yamunsa

Yamunsa Member

quick change sata ports for the non working drives. both sammy and t8y are on the money. could be something as simple as loose cables or as annoying as not being a b3 revision and your ports are starting to die.

5. OP
    OP
    munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

I think ports are dying :( I bought this motherboard pretty much on release day so it'd be the first revision

/rage

Still troubleshooting just to be sure

6. Yamunsa

Yamunsa Member

should be covered by rma easily. might have a week or 2 without but you'll likely get an upgrade in return :thumbup:

7. OP
    OP
    munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

AH FFS it is definitely the ports. HDDs work fine in USB enclosure. The 2 grey SATA ports work fine, the rest of the light blue ports (4) are ALL cactus.

I bought the mobo from england on launch day. No doubt RMA would take fucking forever.

Going to see how much it'd cost to just fork out for an ivy bridge setup so I can tell this piece of shit to GTFO. I should at least get some decent resale on my 2600k i7

8. HeXa

HeXa Member

how could you not be aware of the P67 board recalls? :confused:

9. OP
    OP
    munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

I was aware, but my board worked fine at the time so I thought 'meh' and assume I wasn't affected :p

Hmm wow seems my socket 1155 setup is still 'in-date' maybe I'll just buy a new 1155 board and recycle my 2600k

10. Yamunsa

Yamunsa Member

chap with the board being over 12 months old rma is no longer return to purchase point but return to asus. asus' local centre is based in melbourne. just fill out the usual forms, skirt the need for receipt if pos, and just keep talking b3 b3 b3 b3. you'll get your rma without any major issue.

11. M0r4h3us

M0r4h3us Member

Hi, im sorry to say but the info is sort of correct here and wrong in your case.

Since you purchased this from England you are going to have to send it to Asus in Europe and they do not ship the return item internationally for free(this will cost around $20)
    They will not accept it here in Melbourne, i know i found out the hard way.
    The Serial #'s are registered to regions.

Cheers Alan.

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  12. azalin79

azalin79 Member

Sorry to hijack the thread but is there a way to decipher the region from the serial number at all( as in which country its from) ?

13. Renza

Renza Member

no, although if you ask they may be able to look it up.

I assume serial numbers are generated in a pseudo random/serialised manner and then registered in the appropriate region, as opposed to creating a serial number based on the region its intended for

14. OP
    OP
    munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

Well that sucks. Perhaps I'll just flog it on ebay as semi-working, I mean it can still be used it just only has 2 SATA ports now :p

Was going to upgrade to socket 2011 but after researching it looks like it just isn't worth it considering I mostly just game. Would cost me $900+ to get a near 0 difference in gaming lol :( Damn it, I wanted an excuse to upgrade.

Might just pick up a new Z77 board and keep 2600k I think. Time to go shopping today :D

15. Ninja_Harbinger

Ninja_Harbinger Member

RMA the board and sell it on eBay as new with packaging.

16. Renza

Renza Member

wow i love people like you who don't read the thread and just post... if you read the thread you would see that the OP bought the board from the UK, and as there is no international warranty for Asus boards, RMA isnt possible without paying exorbitant shipping fees.