Pacman inlays on a maple neck...

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by Roj X Mugwump, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Roj X Mugwump

Roj X Mugwump Member

I'm doing a fixup on an old explorer body I have, the neck is proper fucked so I thought I would make a new one. Going to be doing a herc fede style swirl on it so wanted something colourful for the neck. PACMAN!

I got rid of a heap of my tools when I moved last so o i went nuts at Stewmac and the local justtools

[​IMG]

Fancy pants router base - this is so much better than the dremel branded one,
    [​IMG]

Ive always wanted pacman ghost inlays,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

later today im gong to route these out and then next weekend ill be mixing some resin!

someone on another forum suggested having them the other way -

Sideways -
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and this is sideways offset,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OR [​IMG]

I was thinking about using the fruit for the rest of the markers 12 + (15,17 etc) but I'm simply not good enough with the router on such tight pieces. I'm going to use some glow in the dark powder in the resin to make 5mm "power pills" and 2mm normal dots...

Also thinking about what to do for side dots - Little pacman in yellow on the big markers (1,3,5,7 etc) and then in between them a string of 2mm dots - thoughts?!?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  2. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

My thoughts? Awesome! First play has to be the game over riff!

3. OP
    OP
    Roj X Mugwump

Roj X Mugwump Member

heheh - I've got that tab for guitar pro! IT SHALL BE DONE!

I think that offset might be winning my preferences at the moment :

[​IMG]

4. spootmonkey

spootmonkey Member

Definitely needs to run horizontal, so Pacman is chasing/being chased by the ghosts.

5. BLuFFaLo

BLuFFaLo Member

quite cool.

6. Boneman

Boneman Member

Pacman would be better off at the first fret, with the ghosts getting smaller as they go down the fretboard.

7. OP
    OP
    Roj X Mugwump

Roj X Mugwump Member

I actually started with that as the plan, but the huge 3 fret wide pacman at 12 was too much to resist...

[​IMG]

I lost my little tiny dremel bit so I gotta wait to get another one but this is roughed in...

8. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Very nice, great idea. I'd go for fewer ghosts and more dots though...

9. DJ Fusion

DJ Fusion Member

Looks fantastic, I would love that neck on a bright Pacman yellow Ibanez!

I prefer the non-staggered sideways version best btw:

[​IMG]

10. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Mega cool!!! Look forward to seeing the finished result.

One day DJ Fusion will reply to my PM's :| :lol:

11. ndt

ndt Member

Looks great!! but where's the cherry?:)

12. wilchelus

wilchelus Member

Awesome! Can't wait to see it finished

13. OP
    OP
    Roj X Mugwump

Roj X Mugwump Member

too intricate for my noob-esque skills... ive already fucked a couple of tests... I've got 3 spare fretboards too, so I doubt this particular one is gunna make it through the process. I've just ordered the epoxy and the pigments, measuring cups and respirators - scared now!

14. Tavisltd

Tavisltd Member

Nice work! Keep us posted. Keen to see the finished result!

15. OP
    OP
    Roj X Mugwump

Roj X Mugwump Member

So turns out the local tool place is out of the required bits and so stewmac has stepped into the breach and is delivering 18 assorted bits by thursday next weeks :thumbup:

So that frees up this weekend to do more on the body... So some more about the body...
    Brand : Valencia
    DOB : NFI
    Single bridge humbucker with regulation strat bridge.
    Kinda telecaster control plate with just a volume / tone knob.
    Used to be silver, then was green then was purple... I've sanded thru the purple and some of the rest, managed to flake a really big bit off to show that beautful plywood body... was going to leave it kinda silver / green camo but had a better idea...

[​IMG]

So plan this weekend is to sand the rest and primer in white matt enamel... Also I'll be playing with these for some swirling tests...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Good thing about doing the tests is I'm going to try and oil the samples with truoil... I've refinished two guitars in this before and loved the outcome but just not sure if the enamel will like it or not?!? one way to find out ;)

[​IMG]

I've got a couple of victims up my sleeve as well in need of a repaint too :thumbup:

[​IMG]

16. OP
    OP
    Roj X Mugwump

Roj X Mugwump Member

So the swirling was such an abortion it's not worth posting results... will try again but getting that mix right is tough... Needed some thinner for the black paint, the yellow / purple was awesome though...

So these also came - Pigments for the epoxy... the tiny bottles on the right are pearlex shimmer powders...
    [​IMG]

The epoxy
    [​IMG]

alu-silver powder... this stuff is mesmerising to watch as it moves...
    [​IMG]

17. Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

Would love to see how you go with the swirling as I want to do that to a Guitar too

Love the Inlays :)

18. OP
    OP
    Roj X Mugwump

Roj X Mugwump Member

Ok - found the pics on my phone, Here was my process from go to woah!

I got a 1.2m pine plank from bunnings cut in thirds for test paint... Can of white enamel primer paint and sprayed away... I left the sides exposed to see the difference the swirled paint looked on the plain grain...
    [​IMG]

Paints -
    [​IMG]

tub for dipping - Good for the tests but couldn't do a guitar in this. I will get a meter by a meter jobbie for when its time to do this in anger...
    [​IMG]

Borax - I've read a couple of different mixes for this, first test used 1.5 tblspn per gallon of water, second test i upped it to 2 per gallon... Also temp plays a big part in this - 26 is apparantly the sweet spot, I had neither the fucks to give nor the themometer to get this correct... I guess my water was 18-20 or so...
    [​IMG]

dunked! - So all the yellow worked perfect! The black was crap, I needed thinners and to dump water and start again but didnt have thinners and couldnt be stuff measuing 14 gallons of water again...

Parts of it worked really well... I used two purples, one clumped more and was much thicker... about 40% of the plank has the correct skinning of paint, rest is fucked!
    [​IMG]

This tiny bit on the side just worked perfect!
    [​IMG]

The very top patch of purple here is great, the rest of the purple on the plank is fucked... I like the effect washing out from the main blob... worked well for that portion but there were a few black blobs of paint that spoilted that section
    [​IMG]

Also forgot to post a pic of the glow in the dark dust I got with the pigments...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  19. chubbyboy

chubbyboy Member

Have to admit this is ripper :)

20. OP
    OP
    Roj X Mugwump

Roj X Mugwump Member

Yeah its turning out ok - I've been out of the country for the last 3 weeks at SXSW so havent progressed much on this... I've got this weekend free and have a few more swirling experiment to perform - Picked up a few planks of wood for some more tests with different paint brands - The black just doesnt wanna play ball :(

Also bought a few ice cube trays to do some resin tests for curing and mixing colours etc - Just waiting for a few sunny days to hit that up