Paella

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by slipkord, May 9, 2009.

Tags:
  1. slipkord

slipkord Member

Name of recipe - Paella

Click to view full size!

Notes/description
    • It was my first attempt at cooking paella - there was a Paella Rice packet staring at me for weeks, and I eventually thought 'ah what the heck, I'll give this paella thing a go right now and be done with it'.
    • I found out mid-way through cooking that I lacked a proper pan (i.e. large pan or Paella cooking pan). C'est la vie, I just made do with the only pans I had available :p
    • The beauty of cooking something like paella, is that its so customizable - many of the ingredients and instructions can be substituted for something else to suit one's tastes :thumbup:
    • The recipe is a modified version of the recipe suggestion I read up on the back cover of the paella rice packet.
    • I'm surprised to find out that no one else has posted a recipe of paella on this OCAU forum. So I guess this will be the first paella recipe on here :lol:
    • This is my first ever Recipe post in this forum, so yeah thought I'd point that out. :)

Ingredients
    • 500g paella rice (I used Spanish Bahia Round Grain rice from Aldi)
    • 12 chicken drumsticks
    • 3 garlic cloves
    • 1 large onion
    • 1 red bell pepper
    • 1 green bell pepper
    • 8 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
    • half a teaspoon of tumeric (I didn't have saffron, so tumeric was in!)
    • 1200g (net) of chicken soup (canned)
    • 20 mussels (I used a box of Scottish cooked mussels in white wine sauce)
    • 300g peas (deep-frozen)
    • Sundried tomatoes (I had a jar of sundried tomatoes in sunflower oil)
    • 2 lemons

Equipment required
    • Large pan (ideally this would be a proper Paella Pan)
    • Saucepan (for the chicken soup part)

Instructions
    Skin and divide the chicken drumsticks into portions. Cut the garlic into thin slices, dice the large onion. Wash the bell peppers and cut into small pieces.

Put the olive oil into the large pan, add chicken portions and bell peppers - fry the ingredients for a few minutes. Add the garlic and onion together WITH the raw paella rice (yep, the raw rice grains as they are, no pre-cooking or boiling) - and fry for another 5 minutes, stirring continuously (to avoid getting that burnt sticky stuff at the bottom).

In the meantime, simmer the chicken soup in a saucepan and then dissolve the tumeric into it. Once properly dissolved, add half of this mixture to the large pan. Let the rice simmer, stirring continuously until almost all the liquid is absorbed.

Add the deep-frozen peas straight into the pan, continue stirring for a couple more minutes, then add the remaining chicken soup mixture to the pan, and stir continuously until all the liquid is absorbed.

Cooking time - well I didn't have a stopwatch handy, but apart from the prep (chicken, vegetables), the actual cooking was probably about 20-25 minutes.

Serving - drape the mussels decoratively over the rice. Season with salt and pepper, garnish with sundried tomatoes and lemon wedges.

Options
    There's many ways of varying this dish - you can use fish instead of meat; add/substitute pork fillet or salami slices for the chicken drumstick portions; use other vegetables; use chicken broth instead of plain chicken soup; half the soup mixture could be replaced by white wine. More variations can be found in recipe books and online I'd imagine - but that's what I came up with, given the ingredients and equipment I had.

Afterthoughts
    I underestimated the amount of time it took to skin and slice drumsticks - next time I do this dish, I'll buy chicken breast fillets or something a lot easier to throw into the pan.

Also, I think I ended up with a somewhat sticky paella, as opposed to the conventionally dry, fried rice-like consistency of traditional paella. For my first go though, I was pretty pleased - it looked alright, and it tasted pretty good! :)

2. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

damn you!!! you are making me hungry. i want me my spanish meal to!!!!

3. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

A few suggestions, add Spec instead of ham. You can have both chicken and fish. I generally make them with a lot liquid, not the fried rice style but then again Paella are very easy to vary.

4. B4TM4N

B4TM4N Member

That looks Delicious mate!
    Thanks for the recipe.

I love food like this. Almost "Poverty" food like spaghetti, you can add anything to it (To a certain degree of course) :lol:

5. OP
    OP
    slipkord

slipkord Member

Cheers for the comments fellas, appreciate it - its my first go at Paella, and its my first ever recipe post on this forum :D

Um, what's "Spec" exactly? I don't think I even used ham at all :p Yeah I would've liked to have used fish, I simply didn't have any fish in the fridge so chicken drumsticks were in!

I took the lazy option of using chicken soup, when the recipe suggestion said 1 litre of chicken broth. :D

Glad you like the recipe - and yeah it was delicious, it lasted me 3 square meals :D

Agreed, that's what I like about Paella (apart from the preparation time and effort!) - its easy to mix 'n match, substitute 'x' with 'y' ingredient.

6. power

power Member

one of my fave Spanish dishes - best served with Sangria or Mahou :D

7. scon

scon Member

Speck is like super salty bacon. Pretty much. Normally buy it as a whole chunk of pork belley that's been brined and smoked.

8. OP
    OP
    slipkord

slipkord Member

Thanks for the clarification, saved me from trying to Google it in wonderment :lol: I never knew of it til now, as I don't normally go shopping for super salty bacon before - just regular bacon and ham on occasion :lol:

9. Daveboy

Daveboy Member

Use thighs, breast fillets will dry out too much
    Chorizo is really nice in it too
    Paprika
    Substitute 1 cup of dry white wine for some of the chicken stock

But add whatever you like, it is traditionally a dish served with leftovers from the previous few days cooking, served in one big pan for a family meal