Page fault in non-paged area BSOD (plus other errors)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by MR CHILLED, Aug 23, 2017.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Guys, would really appreciate some thoughts here, spent two night now trying to work out what the hell is going on with the main rig. I've done so much testing it's ridiculous, hours and hours now.

Problem is just the other night all of a sudden (possibly after a windows update or NVidia update, but I can't be sure of either of those) I get a BSOD, iirc I had "page fault in nonpaged area" and I cannot load windows, it just gives me the page fault bsod. Sometimes I can get into windows though, but it might last a few seconds, or a few minutes, but eventually it blue screens. Now I'm getting a variety of BSOD, including MEMORY_MANAGEMENT error, SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION, IRQ_NOT_LESS_THAN_etc, and a few more too. That's all I can think of right now.

But the main one seems to be the Page faulting in nopaged area bsod. Nothing overclocked.

Rig:

Board: Z170-HD3 (rev. 1.0)
    cpu: i7-6700
    Video: GTX980
    Drives: Samsung 850 evo 250G, Liteon 128G, Seagate 2TB. Liteon and Sammy in a dual boot with win10
    Ram: Geil 2 x 16G Super Luce 2133 (although did have it running at 2400 iirc)
    + other bits (2 cd burners, 680W modular psu)

What I've tried:

• Started with the basics, a windows repair (all of them including scannow etc). No good, still Page fault error
    • Reset the bios, thought MS might have tweaked something. No good, still Page fault error
    • Replaced the cmos battery. No good.
    • Updated bios from F5 to 22a which was a good year apart and I was going to do it anyways. No good, still bsod.
    • Tested ram with memtest. Both modules did error. One module went crazy with errors, second module only errored on Test 13 (Hammer test). I purchased a 4G crucial 2400 stick to test and it tested fine but page faulting error still happened, so it would appear the ram is not the issue?? I put my original ram back in and of course I still get same bsod as with the new ram.
    • Booted into the LiteOn ssd win10 install and ran SSDLife.....but the LiteOn and Samsung 850 evo returned 100% perfect, which suggests the drives are fine right? I did unplug the Samsung and boot off the LiteOn and still get the page faulting bsod in that second windows10 install. So that would suggest hardware pretty much definitely right?
    • I thought maybe it had something to do with a Nvidia driver update recently, so uninstalled all NVidia stuff, still bsod even with basic windows drivers
    • Tried another (older, 6800GT) video card in the system, still get bsod.
    • Thought it might be a bad sound card or cd drive or wifi card, so unplugged all of those so pretty much just running barebones now, still bsod.
    • Tried many of the fixes on the net to fix various BSOD I was getting, but none seems to work
    • Tried mixing up ram in different slots and reseating in case of dust etc. No good.
    • Tried pulling out cpu, reseating. No obvious damage, still bsod.
    • Uninstalled all Gigabyte motherboard software in case some some corrupt file or something. No good.

So what do I have left to try?

• I could pull everything out, clean off dust, reconstruct and build from scratch again, including rebuilding windows 10. I'd have to get all the updates again and I could just get the same problem again after spending ages setting it up.
    • Could go buy another cpu to test that, but that will start costing dollars.
    • Could buy another motherboard, but also that will cost dollars.

Really I think it now has to be cpu or motherboard right? I haven't tested the cpu really yet, what program these days to test the cpu? I'm not 100% convinced it's not ram but I still get the problems with the new ram, so not ram right?

Anyone have any other ideas of what I can try? :confused:

I'm at the point of hosing the OS and starting from scratch, but this is last resort....so need some ideas from you guys before I go down that path.....

2. thmrsh

thmrsh Member

I had a very similar issue last year. Mine was the ram though. The new ram is definitely passing memtest?

Looks like you've tried a fair bit.
    Macrium reflect has a repair windows option, ive fixed a couple PC's that are bsod with this. Wouldn't hurt...

3. mareke

mareke Member

I had a similar problem with an old computer and in my case it was the PSU being old and the voltage to the CPU sagging. It may be worth trying another PSU if you have one or at least checking all of the connections in your modular PSU and seeing if there's a lot of dust inside the PSU. One of my hard disks also had a fault which caused some of the blue screens. Cleaning out the dust and rebuilding it is worth a try. If that doesn't fix it I'd restore an earlier Acronis image to see if it was a software fault but if you haven't got images stored then you might need to format. If the problem remains with a fresh Windows install then it would confirm that it's a hardware fault.

4. coolroy

coolroy Member

I was going to suggest similar, voltage to cpu needs to be increased slightly, most likely due to failing psu or loose/missing 12V atx 8pin plug to Mainboard?

5. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Interesting you should mention that. I went back and did more testing this evening. New ram tested A-ok. Went back and tested the Geil sticks individually. One now passes A-ok, the other one has thousands of errors. I'm sure I did all of this last night though :confused: Fark me pc's are almost human sometimes.

Anyways, so I think I've found the issue, one completely dead stick of ram. Rig seems to be up and going and stable now, not an error in an hour or so up time.

I've removed a bit of software, including motherboard software, so I guess job tonight is to get everything back to where it was.

6. maldotcom2

maldotcom2 Member

I've had a similar issue that turned out to be mobo storage controller. Seems you only have one on that board provided by the chipset. I'm wondering if imaging your OS to a USB3 external and booting from that would bypass the Sata interface or not. :confused:

Edit, only read first post. Glad you got it fixed.

7. thmrsh

thmrsh Member

Good to hear mate :)
    Faulty ram is an absolute pain.

8. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Thanks, what a lot of pain really, to what appears to be just one stick of faulty ram.

I'm just happy to have found the issue, might have been quite a bit harder if it had been motherboard or psu perhaps.

Packaging Geil ram up now for RMA.

9. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Ram now sent off to PLE Computers, what are they like for returns??

10. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

They are relatively responsive so don't expect long to hear a pickup from them.

That said page fault bsods are 99% memory problem's, either too little voltage supply, unstable with overclocks or custom timings and in general a faulty or overheating ram stick.

11. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

It was extremely quick. Replacement is already on its way :thumbup:

12. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Replacement ram arrived today, fantastic service PLE.

13. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Finally managed to get the new ram back in the rig and retire the new 4G testing stick.....wow, quite a difference in speed with the extra ram :thumbup:

Thanks PLE for a hassle free RMA process.