Painting - Masks??

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Ch4iS, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Ch4iS

Ch4iS Member

I have a breathing mask made by 3M its a good one but the filters are made for gal fumes.

Would this filter be alright for painting, I was doing some priming today and I couldnt smell the paint fumes at all does this mean it is useable?

I use this mask because no other mask fits properly, I will be asking the welding mob to order me some proper filters in (If they can) but I just wanted to know if its fine for the time being?

** Not sure if this is the right section but thought I would ask as a bunch of you would be doing painting also (Unless if you just do it outdoors unmasked)

2. deathsgt60

deathsgt60 Member

should be allright for the moment..... just get onto the weling guys about proper paint filters (if there is any)

3. Chop92per

Chop92per (Banned or Deleted)

you where a mask when spray painting wow lol
    mayeb i should then oowell

4. Rampage101

Rampage101 Member

Really depends on what sort of paint you are using, for instance afaik you must use a fresh air-fed mask for 2-pac paint.

5. crazyau

crazyau Member

I think face masks only stop particulate matter from entering you lungs where as spray painting is vapour, so a dust mask does little to protect you from fumes.
    Respiratory Face Mask with the correct filters is the way to go.

Most people will make do though in a ventillated area.

6. elstado

elstado Member

Never paint in a non well ventilated area, and even if it is get a big fan or something to help move it away from you.

You should also always wear a respiratory face mask, especially if you are going to do a lot of spraying. The fumes and chemicals are not very good for your body + carcinogenic, so breathing it in is a no no.

Safety first guys.

7. OP
    OP
    Ch4iS

Ch4iS Member

Went down and got some new filters and the guy there said the current filter is rated for Enamel paint but it needed a additional filter to catch the paint itself as it just clogs up the Vapor filter.

So all good now.

Basically its a main filter to stop all harmful vapors and then on top of it is a filter designed to stop the paint itself and dust ect.

BTW its this mask

[​IMG]

8. heller44

heller44 Member

those 3m masks are great for comfort, my sanding mask was always one of those. for painting we used to use a different type, sundstrom half mask with stackable elements.. so you could have the p1 particulate and p2 organic filters at the same time, same as you are doing. could get p1's from the client free-issue for the 3m but not the p2's.

even like that you really need a set of goggles or something as a major entry point is through the eyes,and through any exposed skin though not to the same extent.

9. Spectre8

Spectre8 Member

I was a painter for 15 years, and I can tell you, those 3M masks are about as good as you'll ever need. If you are painting regularly, and with lots of overspray, you will want the extra filter the bloke in the shop mentioned, as it catches the airborne particles first. It's sacrificial. The organic filters are exactly what you need. They've got a hell of a lot of use in them, but a good tip when not using them, is to store them in an air-tight bag.

If you're just using the mask for home pray stuff, I wouldn't even bother with the extra filters - just keep your distance :)