Panasonic ST50A: RIDICULOUSLY GOOD value for money

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by csimpson, Jun 29, 2012.

1. csimpson

csimpson Member

Sorry for spamming links recently, but I have to share this:

Panasonic VIERA ST50A

You can find the 50in for $1300. The 60in for $2200. The 65in for $3400.

It has seriously, seriously black black levels and great detail in True Cinema mode. Unless you're in a bright room, it's actually one of the best televisions that I've reviewed.

This is really really really ridiculously good value for money for this TV. Hook it up with a $200 Samsung BD-E5900 and you've got shitloads of Smart features.

Anyone who wants a new TV? Buy this. PLEASE. I want one just because it's such good value, and I have a Pioneer LX509A already.

/spam

2. Scott46

Scott46 Member

theelectricdiscounter.com.au has the following prices:

50" $1259
    60" $2135
    65" $3199

I dont have any experience the company however.

I am keen to get either the 65 VT or ST in about 6 months time, hopefully the prices come down a bit by then. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of real world difference between the two models from all online accounts. I'm still waiting to see them in the flesh.

3. Fishface

Fishface Member

I've been contemplating a 60 inch and noticed that the reviews are very good. They are saying that it is superior to last years VT model.

There are some prices in the Whingepool thread here:
    http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1898817

ie aim to pay $1900 for the 60 inch and less than $3k for the 65inch.

Here is a CNET review comparing it to the Sharp Elite.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_...50-vs-sharp-elite-pro-how-much-would-you-pay/

The conclusion is, save $4000 and get the Panasonic.:thumbup:

4. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

5. Sledge

Sledge Member

what's the power consumption compared to LED LCD's though?

6. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

7. Aequitas

Aequitas Member

and its not double anyway. How many time does it need to be posted. Due to regulations Plasma must advertise its peak output rating (ie all white screen) but due to the tech not all pixels are on full during normal watching. Whereas LED/LCD are ALWAYS on (though localised dimming has an effect, they are still on).

This makes the difference in power consumption artificially bloated and incorrect. In the real world plasma and LCD are vertually the same in power consumption and will only cost around $10-$20 more per year to run, if that.

8. Johnbu

Johnbu Member

We got the 65" for $2,980... Here's how...long story

We bought a 2D 65ST20A for $2,280 in Nov 2010 (with free blu-ray home theatre)

Blew up in March 2012.

No problem, bought it on a gold credit card so I'll get 1 yr extra warranty. Realised I cancelled said gold credit card!! :shock:

Called up Panasonic, their agent took away the TV and said it was Dead.

Panasonic were good enough to offer us a new TV if we paid for some wear and tear contribution- $700.

So in March, we could have the current (at the time) 65ST30A, or wait a few months for the new 65ST50A.. at the same price of $700.

We waited.. delivered last week.

$700 to upgrade a 2 generation old 2D TV to the latest 3D TV was very reasonable.

Anyway, I thought I'll give Panasonic a plug for their customer service.

Next time, if you buy something on the gold credit card, just remember you'll lose the extended warranty if you cancel the card. It worked out well for us, but it could have ended in tears if Panasonic didn't come to the party.

9. sub429

sub429 Member

Been looking at getting this. Big brown box are out of stock of the 50", I just called them and they said back in stock mid-August....

Anyone know of another place with a competitive price that's in stock?!

10. hurfi

hurfi Member

I'm getting in on this bandwagon...now to find stock in Melbourne.
    videopro wont have stock until mid month, but they have an excellent price.

11. sub429

sub429 Member

Yeah...I might go check David Jones and see if they price match videopro. Saw someone managed to do it.

12. OP
    OP
    csimpson

csimpson Member

Be careful which David Jones you go to - my local still has VT20As and ST30As on show :)

13. sub429

sub429 Member

Just bought one from www.eljo.com.au. They have stock and it was $1,285 delivered!

Checked David Jones and they only had display models left (in all stores) according to the sales guy.

14. hurfi

hurfi Member

I was looking at them and noticed that the extended warranty was provided through United Warranties...who are currently in the middle of collapsing.

I gave eljo a call and they are in the process of finding another provider, so I'll hold off until that is sorted.

15. Scott46

Scott46 Member

Can anyone see any justification in buying the 65VT50 over the 65ST50?

Given that the price difference is somewhere around $1000-1500.

16. Zardoz

Zardoz Member

This. When The V20 and S20 were around, the V20 was miles ahead given the black point etc. The ST30 brought that tech to the ST series....

So what's so good about the VT50 vs. the ST50 these days?

17. OP
    OP
    csimpson

csimpson Member

I've got a 65in VT50 series in the house at the moment to test and take a look at. I won't get a chance until early next week though.

Until then, I'd look at a HDTVTest UK review or CNET US if it's by David K or Ty.

18. KLoNe

KLoNe Member

I got a P65ST50A for $2960 from MYER on their SUPER SATURDAY a couple of weeks back - just got a call today saything that delivery may be another 2 weeks yet :sick:

19. Reginald85

Reginald85 Member

I jumped on this bandwagon over a month ago and bough my 50" from Dick Smiths locally, $1250!!!!

Amazing TV for the price.... could not recommend it enough for anyone who is in the market.

20. damo2002

damo2002 Member

I've found a 50" at $1311 that I could pick up tomorrow. Doesn't quite seem like the greatest price around, but on the other hand, finding it in stock doesn't seem too common right now. Going to do the ring-around tomorrow and see if I can find it in stock elsewhere, but this is kind of tempting.