Panasonic unveils Infinite Black Ultra Panel plasmas for 2012

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Jan 12, 2012.

1. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/11/panasonic-unveils-infinite-black-ultra-panel-plasmas-for-2012-e/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Doso

Doso Member

Finally a TV that I may justify upgrading my Pioneer 508xda for!

Looks like all the Pioneer engineers that moved to Panasonic after Pioneer pulled the plug on their plasma division might be doing something

3. Mau1wurf1977

Mau1wurf1977 (Banned or Deleted)

The last hurrah before OLED production gets into gear?

4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I'm not worried so much about thinness, but bigger is better :leet:

5. csimpson

csimpson Member

I'm very keen to trial one of these against my Pioneer LX509. I'll report more when I find out Australian release dates.

Panasonic won't have OLED for a while, AFAIK they don't have any significant research into it.

6. Luke212

Luke212 Member

you mean besides a PRO70X5FD

7. Fishface

Fishface Member

8. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

The thing is now that we are on the cusp of OLED, plasma and LCD are dying tech. Panasonic need to start getting into R&D (they would be foolish not to have some R&D going into it at the moment) otherwise they are going to pushing old tech when the like of Samsung are already releasing OLED devices.

EDIT: Just read the above link. Looks like they are into it lets just hope they aren't too late to the game.

9. Space Hi-Fi

Space Hi-Fi Member

Yes, please do. I wouldn't mind hearing real life comparisons.

These TV's do look promising. Also, from a design perspective I must say I am impressed.

10. Zee

Zee Member

I doubt plasma will vanish too soon - it is still the best bang for buck in terms of size and image.

OLED *should* blitz it in all areas, though prices will be steep off the bat. I'd also be expecting a fe wissues in the first few generations (as with all new tech).

I have no doubt it will kill off both Plasma and the various versions of LCD tech out there once it gains traction and becomes affordable.

I'm hanging for the "roll it up" and "thin as aluminium foil" 130" screens I was promised when first introduced to the tech in the late 90's...

Back on the plasma - I hope they will include their Calman capable calibration system in more of their newer models.

Z...

11. Mau1wurf1977

The thing about OLED is that it's actually a very very cheap technology in regards to production. No need for a back-light for example.

So as soon as production and sales ramp up, prices will come down very fast.

It also depends on how many companies will produce. It certainly doesn't look like a single manufacturer will be first to market by a significant amount, which is very good for the consumer.

What I expect to see now are ridiculously cheap LED LCD and Plasma TVs in 2012 / 2013 as manufacturers scramble to squeeze the most profit out while the market is declining.

Another thing I noticed is all this "smart TV" stuff. I wish one manufacturer would launch a "Just a TV" or something like that. Huge size, excellent IQ and great price.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  12. mtma

mtma Member

Like anything it will be a case of cheap OLED is cheap to produce. It will undoubtedly have its own idiosyncrasies that will turn into the next black reproduction craze.

Probably to the tune of dither noise and top end saturation.

13. Brett

Brett Member

Yeah I don't want a built in PVR, web browser or media player, I've already got stuff to do those jobs better.

14. Luke212

Luke212 Member

I wouldnt say its cheap tech. You pay per pixel. rather than per display(or per region) for backlight

15. Mau1wurf1977

Well the way OLED works simply lends itself much better for displays. Compare that to the very first LCD monitors. How shocking were they?

They still haven't been able to match the good old CRT TV in terms of black levels and other IQ parameters. The technology simply isn't ideal for displays, but was the best available at that time...

The approach Sony took (Crystal-technology something) is quite interesting. I doubt that they will continue down this path took.

16. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I've always wondered why thinness is such a major requirement? Not so long ago we were with crt's.

17. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

i dont get it either. i mean whats it with people asking the thing to be paper thin. i mean its not like its going to get in your way if its 2" thick instead of 1" thick now is it? yeah not long ago we where fine with CRTs being so deep.

18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

^^ Right! Who the fark cares whether it is 1 inch or 2 inches deep? Don't people look at screens from the front? Or is this some sort of social climbing status symbol wank that my screen is thinner than yours? :rolleyes:

Seriously, they need to thinking about picture quality improvements and quality new tech rather than bloody unit depth.....*pfft* pathetic.

19. aokman

aokman Member

why is it a dying tech, Plasma is a fantastic technology and it has come so far over the last few years. The power consumption and price for the size just gets better and better. There is new tech coming but it doesnt mean its going to take over straight away.

The reason for the thinness is for wall mounting usually... any other application has no use as the stand is deeper anyway.

If these panels really do provide the best blacks ever i think it will be time to upgrade the sammy plasma :)

20. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

i will give an example. my bravia is a little over 2 inches thick in depth and yet i get hassled by people with newer tv saying my tv is too thick. i can understand if the difference was a CRT compared to an LCD. huge difference. however if the difference was only a couple or so inches. then why does it matter?

more the wank/e peen factor me thinks this thinness thing.