"Paprium" for Megadrive by WaterMelon Games

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by elvis, Mar 28, 2017.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

After 4 years in development, the previously codenamed "ProjectY" Megadrive game has been announced as "Paprium".

Developed by WaterMelon Games who were previously responsible for the JRPG "Pier Solar", Paprium is a brand new scrolling brawler that clocks in at a whopping 80mbit cartridge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Website and pre-ordering here:
    http://paprium.com/

Completely bananas ad here:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  2. OP
    OP
    elvis

Word on the street is that the code:

Gets you a 10% discount on pre-order.

3. Grant

Grant Member

Thanks for that, that actually tipped me over the edge to pre-order :leet:

4. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Stupid question, price? Corp firewall cans any game related sites and I will probably forget about this when I get home.

5. Grant

Grant Member

US$69 before discount, AU~$85 with discount - about the real AU price of any new Mega Drive game :upset:

6. Grant

Grant Member

elvis likes this.
  7. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

Was their a technical limit to the size of a catridge for these types of systems back in the day?

8. Grant

Grant Member

4MB (32Mbit) was the standard limit for the Mega Drive, just above that was where the memory areas for the Mega CD/32X started.

Memory mapping hardware was already common at that time though, the Master System (and other 8-bit consoles) needed a memory mapper chip on any cartridge larger than 32KB to swap banks of memory from a larger cartridge into the memory map.

I don't know of any cartridges that were larger than 4MB back in the day, but I think the main limitation was sheer cost of that much ROM capacity added to extra cost for the hardware and software needed for a hardware memory mapper.

9. OP
    OP
    elvis

Remember that a console like Megadrive (and most cartridge-based consoles of the time and earlier) treat a cartridge not just like a storage IO device, but like any bit of hardware you want.

The cartridge plugs straight into more or less what we'd call the main bus in modern computing terms. More like PCI-E today (not quite, as we still have the CPU at the centre of our universe in PC land, and most things are equal on an old console).

So if you wanted to extend the console's functionality, you could slap anything you want on it. Want more addressable space? Slap a memory mapper on there. Want 3D? Slap a floating point processor on there (oh hey SNES SuperFX chip). So on and so forth (google "NES mappers" for more nerdy talk).

The limitations were somewhat technical, but more from a "it costs lots of money to make the tech work", so like everything in life, there is nothing that can't be achieved with time and money. The flipside being that you can't sell cartridges at $200 a pop to recoup costs back in the 80s and 90s, although sometimes it got close...

DRtGIx2UIAAmWGJ.jpg

10. power

power Member

or even an add on like 32X... it's also why action replay's worked.

cart slots were never just dumb ports like many think.

11. OP
    OP
    elvis

Back to Paprium, I'm saddened by the goings on. After being burned on too many Kickstarter-style things, I didn't pre-order. But I know a lot of folks who did because the project really does look quite good (I'm still keen for it, but just won't slap my money down until it's out).

Considering in that same amount of time, "TANGLEWOOD" was designed, developed and released (physically and digitally for flash-cart users). Project Watermelon really need to get their shit together.

12. power

power Member

it looks miles better than any game every released on MD back in the day maybe they over reached?

13. OP
    OP
    elvis

I have nothing to base it on but gut feel (and decades of experience), but it smells like people problems, not technology problems.

Watermelon are crazy secretive, and very arrogant. Compare and contrast with the TANGLEWOOD (apologies for constant caps, but it's the stylised title) developer who's a real champ, happy to interview, answers people directly on social media, etc.

Pier Solar (their previous project) had similar delay and communications issues, despite being a technically competent game. Also worth noting that most of that team have bailed on Watermelon, and it appears now to be a skeleton of its former self. Again, suggesting people problems.

14. power

power Member

well i hope they sort it out, side note to me Tanglewood is an Amiga game that I had nfi how to play.

Seems i am not alone as the game page has a bunch of ppl saying they had nfi how to play it lol. http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php?id=3297

15. OP
    OP
    elvis

Ha!

Yeah, I'm talking about the new Megadrive game. Watched an interview with the dev on RetroRGB's channel last week. Game looks very interesting, and the dev is a champ with some really good ideas on old and new games.

16. flain

flain Member

One thing that looks a bit suspicious is the sprites look much bigger on screen than any other megadrive game i have seen. If you compare megadrive arcade ports to the original arcades they always have smaller sprites on screen than the original arcade.

If they do manage to pull it off it will be pretty impressive if the screenshots are real.

17. OP
    OP
    elvis

It's not the size that matters (*chuckle*) but how many there are.

http://www.gamepilgrimage.com/content/sega-genesis-vs-super-nintendo
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showth...enesis-VDP&s=19fb9c0ff31dcdd7084d31b4321c9256

20 sprites per horizontal line, regardless of size. 80 sprites all up. Varies a bit depending on resolution mode you're running.

Large characters can be multiple sprites glued together. So you can pull that off, but you reduce how many can be on screen at once.

Digging through the trailers and screenshots, the maximum amount of characters I can see is 6, but that doesn't tell me how many sprites per character. But I also notice a number of the shots in the trailer to be quite zoomed in, which give the illusion of sprites much larger than they really are.

Again, we're just waiting for something concrete at this stage. But if they're doing an 80MBit cart, there's likely at least custom bank switching in there, which doesn't rule out the possibility of other hardware to assist the VDP (although that gets very difficult and very expensive very quickly).

What it very likely means, however, is that this won't be able to be played on cheap flash carts. Maybe something like Krikzz's Mega Everdrive X5 or X7 with new firmware. But maybe not my shitty Tototek MD-PRO (I should test that this weekend).

flain likes this.