Paralysis tick w/ cat.

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by Linkin, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Linkin

Linkin Member

Our cat came back inside after a feed with paralysis ticks crawling in his fur. I got them off & killed them. Later I found one attached on his chin. I got tweezers and pulled it off close to the head as possible (that seemed to be the best way) but it seemed like the tick "popped" when I got it off. Smokey has had a run in with paralysis ticks before from which he nearly died :( I'm worried. He has not showed any signs like last time (almost 5 years ago) like lethargy, loss of appetite, or spasms. I know it takes a day or two for symptoms to appear, but that's with a tick attached. Should we take him to the vet now, or wait for any symptoms to show?

And just for reference he has had frontline put on him last week. The people at pet barn said once every two weeks for ticks and once a month for fleas.

What should we do?

2. El Nermo Diablo

El Nermo Diablo Member

Just keep an eye out for the warning signs listed here http://www.pittwateranimalhospital.com.au/ticks.html

Nasty bastards they are. Just fyi used to have a lot of problems with dogs and this, but 90% of the time they never had a problem. Yet to find a tick in my kitties :thumbup:

3. OP
    OP
    Linkin

Linkin Member

Okay thanks.We rang up the vet and got some frontline spray to kill ticks for him - she said that the regular stuff doesn't work for ticks even though most vets recommend it. Will obviously keep an eye on him. The tick wasn't bloated, I assume it was either a nymph or an adult that hadn't fed.

cheers.

4. El Nermo Diablo

El Nermo Diablo Member

Good stuff.

I remember someone told me once metho on them did the job as well, but because I havent seen it recommended elsewhere Id assume it might because they drop a heap of nasty venom before they die/disgorge or similar.... :Paranoid:

5. dreamaxx

dreamaxx (Banned or Deleted)

Unfortunately there are no good preventatives for ticks for cats... You'll just have to be vigilant. It's a bad season this year :(

6. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Yup, pulled one off my cat's ear about a month ago, no further issues tho was a bit worried. But there are a lot of ticks that aren't paralysis ticks.

7. brocky2006

brocky2006 Member

try covering it with butter/oil, works on people, not sure how it goes with fur though

8. El Nermo Diablo

El Nermo Diablo Member

The cat or the tick?!?

Pretty sure my 7kg tabby will rend flesh if I pull out the butter bar.... :eek:

9. millhouse

millhouse Chief Tiger Dentist

No.

Do exactly as you did. Remove the tick physically fromteh cat by whatever means you can.
    Frontline spray is the only product registered to help prevent paralysis ticks attach to your cat, apply it every 3 weeks. Be vigilant and check your cat carefully every day.

10. OP
    OP
    Linkin

Linkin Member

Yep we started doing that. The vet offered to spray him for free every 3 weeks since it's a bad time of year for ticks, so we take him down there every 3 weeks. So far so good.

And we keep him inside as much as possible.

11. mike-s

mike-s Member

Tick's suck, my mother in law's labrador had a tiny paralysis tick hidden in the crook of a rear leg and is on her second night there as she's not going too well :(. They had to shave the poor thing from tip to tail to try and see if there was another tick due to how she went last night.

12. brocky2006

brocky2006 Member

the tick, stop them breathing and they fall off

13. k23man

k23man Member

I'd be interested to know if anyone has ever had a cat recover without treatment from a tick AFTER it has started showing signs of paralysis? We lost our cat a few months ago to a tick. We put her down after a day or two after she wasn't showing any signs of improvement. But at the time I couldn't find any info on the net of %age of cats that get better without treatment and it was a really tough call to make.

And yes it is a very bad year for ticks. Our cat was getting 6-10 small ticks per DAY!

14. OP
    OP
    Linkin

Linkin Member

Our cat originally had a tick on him for days, one day he collapsed, we took him to the vet, had the tick removed and used antivenom or whatever. The vet said he had a 10% chance of surviving. But here he is.