Passive HTPC w/ Linear Power

Discussion in 'PC Build Logs' started by Excess, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Excess

Excess Member

So the original idea was a TR based build based around the caylos nsg s0 fully passive case from kickstarter that never delivered so I had to make a few adjustments and settle for something else instead.

After doing some research I realised there is only so much you can do when you limit yourself to fully passive cooling options so I opted for a glorified steamlink, a htpc to stream games across moonlight.

Still the main purpose of the build would be fully passive (silence!) and a focus on audio/visuals.

Code:
    CASE:Streacom FC8=255
    SSD:Intel 760p 500gb=144
    MOBO:Asrock Fatal1ty AM350G itac=163
    CPU    :Ryzen 2200g APU=148
    MEMORY: G.Skill 2400 VALUE    2x4GB=79
    PSU: SEASONIC 400W FANLESS (from FS)=40
    PSU: Teradak Linear =850~
    COOLING: EK Thermal paste/pads=29
    SCREEN: Acer Nitro XV273KP 4k144hz=1250
    GPU: RTX2060 FE=599

Originally did not plan to get a new screen however ran into issue with the integrated gpu, Vega 8 not being able to bypass the hdmi pixel clock limit of 165MHz locking me to using my old Qnix screen at 1440p at 41Hz. Clearly it was not a bandwidth issue as the same Vega 8 did output 4k60hz just fine. It wasn't solved even after playing around with pixel unlocker utility and CRU. The issue probably either lies with the hdmi -> dvi conversion or a driver issue. However this was solved by a new screen.

So the Acer Nitro XV273KP is what I would call the more affordable 4k panels high refresh rate panels but at the cost of losing HDR1000 (which would not fit this build anyway as it needs its own fan). A even better since nvidia decided to support freesync and its one of the 15 original monitors that is announced as fully supported.

arobevoli on ozbargain has a great post of what the screen offers
    However this screen required 2x DP ouputs to fully support or at least one to use which was not part of the consideration at the start of the build. I ended up getting a RTX 2060 FE to support the screen however this card was never going to fit the case.

Case:

[​IMG]

Internals:

[​IMG]

Decided to use pads instead of thermal paste on the right hand side where the copper heat pipes contacts the case/fins. Which turned out pretty nice, would probably try using graphite thermal pads next time. (for better thermal performance and re-usability)

[​IMG]

Power cables escapes via the low profile pci-e slot, which will eventually get replaced by a pcie riser to support RTX2060 externally.

[​IMG]

Using a 1x mining pci-e riser which screams bottleneck but from my testing its not so bad at 4k resolution. I can run a full length ribbon cable riser but very pricey at $80 each and does not look nearly as clean and this project is already well over the planned budget. I had also planned to use a Arctic Cooling Accelero S3 to cool this fully passive but didn't bother as it was too much effort, a bios flash stops the fans on idle so this is good enough for now.

Game streaming via moonlight is not bad but you do get plenty of tearing and slight input delay, the maximum 150Mbps bitrate limit does kill the visual fidelity especially at 4k 120fps. Could move to steamlink for no bitrate limit but locked to 1080p. I do believe game streaming will be much more viable in the future though.

Linear PSU, an absolute unit. The psu is rated only at 210w sustained load with a peak of 350w. I am still in the process of undervolting enough so it supports the build by itself.

[​IMG]

Full setup:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    im late likes this.