1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

passport photo print at kiosk

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by pezzy, Aug 3, 2018.

1. pezzy

pezzy Member

want to print a passport photo. anyone know which kiosk can print true to size dimensions on a standard 6X4 sheet? tried big w, but they stretch to size automatically. those general photo stores charges 10 bucks a print lol, so that's a no go.

2. NismoR31

NismoR31 Member

you get what you pay for. kiosks aren't really designed for that kind of thing

3. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

Make an image in the correct dimensions, and copy in the passport photo in the correct dimensions.

pezzy likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    pezzy

pezzy Member

^sorry, but what did you mean by copy in the passport photo in the correct dimensions?

edit: ah wait. i think understand now. you genius!

they can do index prints, so printing a smaller size onto a blank sheet shouldn't be a problem?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  5. havabeer

havabeer Member

The post office will do passport photos, the have the scanner on site that will tell you there and then if it’ll be accepted

Dass Booty likes this.
  6. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Yep best way to go. If they mess it up they have to take it again for you until it passes as well. No messing about.

Dass Booty and spectre257 like this.
  7. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

Try EU passport Photos when you need one. What a PITB.
    Not many places with do them.

8. insular

insular Member

AU passport photos taken at aus post are EU compatible. they even have a list of countries to double check.

was my experience.

9. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

10. OP
    OP
    pezzy

pezzy Member

thanks for the suggestions guys. but i've always done it for myself (and other people). never had any problems. it's actually for a chinese visa, but it should be ok as i have followed the guideline/measurements. i haven't done this for a while and the shop i usually have them printed has decided to charge a price that is too high for my lking. will be doing what psydfx has suggested. it will cost me 15c lol.

11. Rod911

Rod911 Member

Did my, at the time 1 year old, ourselves. Wife took picture on her phone then I cropped it to get the correct measurements. Before going to Kmart to print the pic. All good.

Did it this way as we didn't want to pay for a photographer to get it done. A lot of the post offices can't do baby/toddler photos as the young ones are difficult to photograph for them.

12. havabeer

havabeer Member

Sounds legit, I could also use a “Chinese visa” and a “Dutch passport” if your making them

Dass Booty, slavewone and pezzy like this.
  13. OP
    OP
    pezzy

pezzy Member

sorry, bringing this thread back up again as i want to print them myself this time. looking at the canon selphy printer. is this good enough colour reproduction wise? or do i need to step up to an epson xp-8700 or even higher, a canon pro 200? i cant use the kmart/harvey norman kiosk prints this time because its for an australian passport. last time i used those auspost didnt accept them because the print quality was too low. and still cant go back to the shop i use to go because they charge an even higher price now...might as well just buy a bloody printer.

14. Martyn

Martyn Member

15. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

as above, i used https://www.idphoto4you.com/ and just printed at Big W and had zero issues for 3 kids passports

otherwise, just pay $20 at a Post Office and guaranteed acceptance of the photo

16. OP
    OP
    pezzy

pezzy Member

my fault for tacking it on this old thread. just to be clear, they were 15c at kmart/harvey norman kiosks. i printed them there for passports until my most recent attempt which got knocked back due to print quality. when i opened this thread, it was for a chinese visa. at that time the kiosk photos were accepted. and before then, australian passports as well.

ill give the kiosk prints another shot (might have gotten an anal auspost clerk at the time). if not, ill probably purchase the selphy. it looks to be ok. i do this enough for other people to justify a printer anyway.

17. DoCsIs

DoCsIs Member

Are you sure they are complaining about the print quality, and not the photo quality (ie lighting). Most photo printing places (kmart/officeworks etc) should be able to print at a high enough quality for passport photos.

18. OP
    OP
    pezzy

pezzy Member

pretty sure it was the print quality. i have no doubts about my photography skills lol. i do remember the print to be pretty poor quality though with choppy gradients. it could be how i had prepared my images. i usually prepare them in cymk colour space. but ive never had any problems with that previously. only difference was the ones that got rejected were printed from big w. ill try harvey norman this time. i know they use decent fuji printers.

edit: if anyone is interested. ended up printing them at harvey norman and it all went ok. print quality is even better than i last remembered. i use to have to make small adjustments to colour/contrast/brightness. but this time, it closely matched my monitors calibration.

and to my surprise they are still 10c! wth, theres no way they are making any money from them lol. gerry may rip you off with his household goods and extended warranties, but he sure does run one helluva mean digital lab.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
  19. NismoR31

NismoR31 Member

They're still making a profit on them. They mostly want to get people in the door to accidentally buy other stuff while they're in the store.

20. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

not necessarily making money - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loss_leader