Pasta: Fettucine al Salsiccia

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by wvxman, Jun 26, 2009.

1. wvxman

wvxman Member

I'm a big fan of Italian food, so on occasion I try to recreate my favourite dishes. I quite like the result I have achieved with this recipe, so I offer it for others to enjoy :)

Ingredients
    1 can crushed tomatoes
    1 can whole peeled tomatoes
    2 onions
    1ts garlic (or 1-2 cloves)
    2ts thyme
    4ts basil
    1tbs white wine vinegar
    1/4 cup good red wine
    ~ 1/4 cup good olive oil
    Sundried tomatoes
    Csabai, Salami, or Pepperoni.
    Fresh parmesan or ricotta cheese.

Method

Click to view full size!

Note this picture is misleading. I have only used 2 cans of tomatoes, but if you have 2-3 hours for sauce reduction I would definitely use the 3rd as you will get an even better sauce. Unfortunately I didn't have time on this occasion. :(

Click to view full size!

Coarsely chop onions and saute. Add basil, thyme, garlic, white wine vinegar and red wine, stirring occasionally on low-med heat.

Click to view full size!

Coarsely chop sundried tomatoes.

Click to view full size!

Add sundried tomatoes.

Click to view full size!

Slice Salami, Csabai or pepperoni thinly, and add to the sauce. Cook on low heat for 2-3 minutes.

Click to view full size!

Add one can crushed tomatoes then stir and mix through, then add one can whole peeled tomatoes, and using a knife cut the whole roma tomatoes into quarters. Cook on med heat for 2-3 minutes after the sauce has started to bubble.

Now reduce the heat to a gentle simmer for about an hour and a half, to reduce the sauce.

Click to view full size!

After reduction.

Click to view full size!

Pasta of choice. Egg pasta = win.

Click to view full size!

All dished up for om nom nom. I used freshly grated parmesan because I didn't think to buy any ricotta or cottage, but ricotta and cottage go fantastic with this type of dish. Some fresh mozarella wouldn't go astray either.

This serves 4 comfortably, maybe 5 if you have several small stomachs to feed. I'd also recommend adding some eggplant.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  2. brad81

brad81 Member

It was lovely mate.

Used finely diced tinned tomatoes x2 and was nice and thick within an hour. Added the eggplant (3/4 a small one) just after the wine and it soaked it up in a few minutes.

3. OP
    OP
    wvxman

wvxman Member

Great to hear! :)

4. jamiemao

jamiemao Member

was about to walk to maccas, now i think i might walk to coles and conjure up this lovely dinner!