Path of Exile

Discussion in 'MMOs' started by IpziRk, Sep 2, 2011.

1. hvalac

hvalac Member

Hey there nerds i'm jumping on discord early if anyone cares to join. I'll be in the ocau channel, IGN is Soarya.

Edit: I should probably clarify, that I'll be online on Saturday morning in time for the new delve league.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  2. raGneG

raGneG Member

So, I love this game.

Tried it a couple of years ago, played solo and just winged it, didn't get it/like it. Got made redundant last November and read about the upcoming Abyss league update so read a bit more.. and read a bit more.. and ..more.. played a bit in standard prior following a build and then hit Abyss hard. Was late in the year so didn't have much reason to be looking at jobs properly. I no lifed the first few days alongside streams like Zizaran. Loved it. I think I played a Magma Orb something or other. I'd get up, look for job listings with a coffee, submit where I was interested, read a bit of POE Reddit, hit the game and smash it out for a large part of each day while watching streams. Got a job end of January.

Played Bestiary pretty hard but teetered out as the league mechanic wasn't fun for me and I was ramping up to the job I got.. took 2 months for them to secure a fkn start date. Public is slllooooowwwwww.

Played Incursion a bunch too, started getting a better handle on lesser apparent mechanics and content. Started getting a better grasp of the talent tree.

Playing Delve now and fell behind pretty hard even though I was putting in quite a lot of time early on. Set out with the goal of finishing the Atlas as to be honest, still haven't done this. Haven't got there yet but think I will by the end of the league.

Can't believe how much change/content/engagement from GGG there has been since I started getting into it and the game 'clicked' for me. What's missing though is in game social side for me. My usual gaming mates, while saying they like POE, won't come play it with me. Are there any AU based POE discords or communities? I wouldn't mind hitting the next league with some people. I can't really no life the start of a league unless it's on a weekend and I take a take off on the Monday.. but after that the hours won't be as good. But keen to play with/support/help others and hopefully have that reciprocated.

Long post but basically, anyone out there that's normal and into this game.. hit me up. I'm no subject matter expert but keen to keep learning.

3. boneburner

boneburner Member

Betrayal League - with some good across the board quality of life updates - some of them *cough - Masters* long overdue

22 days....

darknebula likes this.
  4. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

Been having some good laughs with my latest build i'm following.

Running a Necromancer witch, with summon zombies (as my 6l skill), animate guardian, and summon spectres for both 4l's (gloves and helmet). Rest is filled with utility/defence stuff (CWDT with desecrate/consecrate, haste/hatred aura's fed by generosity and enlightenment, CWDT with immortal call and spirit offering, and lastly shield sharge/fortify, faster attacks).

The build is heavily focused on str stacking. i'm sitting pretty at 1050str at the moment with life @ 3.1l and ES @ 3.2k now. By the time i reach lvl 90 i should be seeing approximately 1200 strength.

according to POB, if all my zombies hit at once (5), i should be hitting 1.5m DPS @ lvl 68. I'm still about 200str shy of what i need for 6 zombies, but that should be reasonably easy to attain. That should boost my overall dmg up into the 2m DPS.

As i said, so far i'm having some good laughs with it, but the build is FAIRLY boring and there will be some times where i'm actually just playing one handed as i don't really need to do anything. I'll see what performance is like in mapping as i haven't really finish the story acts.

http://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/m0n4g3/characters/

If you wanna see gear and skill configs. Pretty much end build for my champ maybe change out some rings/belt but i don't see the need right now.

5. hvalac

hvalac Member

I'm running an arc trapper build and so far it's the strongest thing I've run by far, IMO it's OP.
    It has the most ridiculous clear speed and is still great against single target and really doesn't require high end gear.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Daisymuffin/characters

This is my current setup along with some of my other builds.

6. shippuuden

shippuuden Member

watched this beginner guide on this , , man..i wanna give this game a go but holy shit it sounds so confusing even just to choose what class you are going to be.

7. hvalac

hvalac Member

Not going to lie, it's not as easy as D3 or any other arpg to get into tbh. There is quite a learning curve that will take you from beginning to end and still have you going wtf.

My 1st few characters I did I refused to follow any particular build and just went with what I though was good....... wrong.
    It takes a lot of time to learn how to do your own builds properly, a few people on the poe forums recommend at least a minimum of 1k hours before you even attempt it.

Don't let that put you off though, it's a great game and every class is super versatile. Take monages current character, he's playing a which who is primarily a caster class but he's playing it like a tank with some retarded life pool.

8. shippuuden

shippuuden Member

Yeah downloading it now, I actually never played D3 or pretty much any other arpg so starting with this might be a bad idea but at least its free. ill watch a few other videos on it and see how i go, 20gb download though, game must be pretty packed with content, graphics look pretty nice too.

9. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

Honestly.... the class is really pointless. What you want to do is try as MANY skill gems as you can and see what you like best. The skill gems is pretty much what determines is the build, therefore which character class you need to choose!

It's a great game, but honestly the game doesn't start until you finish the story line... so stick with it till you get to mapping.

shippuuden likes this.
  10. shippuuden

shippuuden Member

played about 90 minutes of it so far and i must say, i like it.

Im loving that you can run around with two loaduts for weapons, i can see how you can get some crazy combos going, switching back n forth between load outs to use different skills is pretty sweet, took me a while to realise you could even do that. at the moment just using a long sword of some type for first one and 2 daggers with some explosive trap gems or whatever they are in them for the 2nd one.

The town stashes are a cool idea too as i quickly ended up with a lot of stuff in my inventory and needed somewhere to put the damn things.

is it a good idea to have 1 loadout for melee and one for a bow or wand? i should of tried it but didn't get a chance yet.

only thing so far that is a LITTLE annoying, at least until i get used to it is the quest map and the markers, and the TAB map that overlays, i feel like it should reveal more but once i get used to the maps or areas that im roaming in it probably wont be an issue, and i failed a quest as i was trying to figure out where the hell to go, not realising if i click the ! mark it actually shows me where i am in the other screen, DOH, i let the carriage get away in the early quest.

Other thing is, when i left click something on the ground and hold left click so i can drag it over to inventory my character just starts running in the direction my mouse is moving, but once i get inventory management down pat i should be able to just left click n pick up stuffs, i think the dragging method is a habit carried over from other games lol.

I wish i wasnt so damn tired right now, wanted to grind at least a few more hours in but at least i have something to do tomorrow :)

EDIT: is there a skill or something i can buy to increase base inventory space?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  11. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

Base inventory..... nope. Get used to portalling. But honestly, the best thing to do as a noob.... is get a decent item filter.

https://github.com/NeverSinkDev/NeverSink-Filter

Get the regular filter and place it in %USERPROFILE%/Documents/My Games/Path of Exile/

Pretty much, at the start don't keep anything, just sell it. I wouldn't even bother identifying it unless it's yellow. Don't worry about the immortal stuff at the moment, that is part of this league and honestly it can get quite complicated. Just concentrate on the base game (if you can be bothered start a standard character not a league character).

As i said, figure out which skills you find interesting and fun, as most builds.... focus heavily on just that, focusing on one skill and having a particular set of sub-skills that are unanimous to every champ (Cast When Damage Taken - Immortal Call - Something that weakens enemies *eg temporal chains, decay, etc) Again, don't focus on the sub set of skills, as they aren't focused on.

Some really fun ones are cyclone (only get it at level 28), glacial hammer, tectonic hammer i think it's called.

In terms of weapons... it's much of a muchness really. I was running around with Tabula Rasa (simple robe, with no stats, but 6 skill gem sockets all linked) until i hit lvl 60. Items help.... but they really don't make the build.

One last thing, once you HAVE figured out a skill that you want to focus on..... or if you want to explore some builds...

https://www.poebuilds.cc/

Use pathofbuilding to download the passive skill tree, the item list etc etc.

https://github.com/Openarl/PathOfBuilding/releases

This will get you started on a good build.

Also...... discord! get on and have a chat with other people playing POE. me and havalac jump in once in a while ;)

*PS if you plan on playing the game....... buy some stash tabs when they are on sale! 2 premiums (to help you raise in game currency by trading), the rest standard and for the love of god... get a currency tab too! Makes it soooo much easier than the standard tabs.

12. hvalac

hvalac Member

Whilst in game you can press O (for options) then go to UI tab and you can modify how the map presents it's self but it will still probably be limiting for you.
    Today there is currently a sale on the tabs but yes at the very minimum have at least 1 premium tab just so you can sell items within the game and I'd recommend the currency tab if you start getting into the game a bit more.

Wisdom scrolls (scrolls of identify) can get burnt quite easy, I personally don't identify and magic (blue) items and only save the identifies for rare(yellow) or unique(copper).

Edit: Just a though for if you enjoy this stuff, whilst in game press f1 to get some extra stats such as frame time, latency and an fps graph.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  13. shippuuden

shippuuden Member

Thanks for all the info peeps, I had to watch this to figure out what exactly the tabs were about , will probably get some at some stage. and the pathofbuilding is freakin epic! will help me fuck up way less when doing builds lol

14. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

I tried this out years ago, and shelved it pretty quickly. (Just wasn't feeling it, but didn't think it was a bad game at all) Now that they released it for free on PS4, I've given it a crack, and really quite like it, and reinstalled it on my PC.

Anyone still play? I've checked Mon4g3's latest post, which is super worthwhile, but wouldn't mind hanging with peeps from OCAU.

15. hvalac

hvalac Member

I've not really been on much this season tbh, I smashed it quite hard at the beginning and made a stupid amount of currency then.... bailed.

It's a pretty solid game for ftp and over the years with all the QOL updates they've done for performance as well as game play it really is bringing in the crowds... Though most people still get scared off by teh skill tree which is highly intimidating.

16. darknebula

darknebula Member

I've reached 93 this league playing with Incinerate as my main skill. Looking to spawn Uber Eldar tomorrow morning for the first time and expect to fail miserably :D

17. hvalac

hvalac Member

Hey there guys, new league is up tomorrow morning with some crazy melee buffs... are we all ready?

18. darknebula

darknebula Member

I still can't decide what build I want to play :(

I had a heap of fun with incinerate last league and had several attempts at Uber Elder for the first time

19. purehybrid

purehybrid Member

Last time I played this was early beta, when there was only 2 acts in the game... but I've come back this league and smashed it out with a Lightning Trap Saboteur build. Was off work for a little last week, plus the long weekend, so I've nolifed it pretty hard. Will hit 100 hours played soon I think :| Still learning a lot, but I managed to 6link my first item (an almost max rolled tinkerskin :D). The newbie luck was strong... less than 200 fusings rofl

darknebula likes this.
  20. darknebula

darknebula Member

That’s some awesome luck!

Last league I managed to 6 link to staves in as many fusings