Path to web design proficiency

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by zfind, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

Where i work we have a custom CMS we use for smaller generic sites but for larger projects we have some libraries already written but pretty much write it from scratch for the customer. Such as the Auctioning website we just did. The front end looks pretty simple, but the backend is really complicated, takes some of the features from ebay power users but makes them better, and its also used as their inventory system since it tracks everything.

Programmers are going nowhere, and thats pretty obvious considering theres such a shortage of them.

2. kndkris

kndkris Member

Sure the bigger companies use custom cms solutions (albiet cut copied from solutions they have produced in the past), i know that, but out of 1000 sites on the internet how many need a custom cms? i am only guessing but i would say less than 10%, and im sure you realise that generic design styles are the result of the designers not the cms in the background. You can do some amazing things and produce a unique product using your mums cms, I am simply saying to the OP that good design principles and knowledge is the path to good web design proficiency.

3. Ze.

Ze. Member

I don't do windows development or web development :) I just like syntax highlighting and being able to easily switch source files. (Both of which are available in Vi/Vim btw)

The integrated debugger can sometimes be useful as well.
    I know the old joke about vi/emacs/whatever I just think it's a tired old joke for wannabes.
    Perhaps you just work with shitty people?
    Yes it's probably much more stringent :)

4. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

So you don't use a rad, and all those things can be done with a text based editor using cursors.
    At 43, and coding since 1979, I have worked on many of ASX200 systems, and I use vi daily.
    No, I just work with people that realise 'jack of all trades master of none' has meaning in the real world.
    In my industry, finance, mainly banking, I doubt it.