Paying off/into VISA C/C overseas?

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by Apache, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Apache

Apache Member

Is there a way to pay into your VISA credit card (Commonwealth Bank issued) whilst overseas in Europe?

(I can not call the bank for a few days as I am in a remote location with only very slow/weak wifi on a mobile device. Sent them an email, but..)

2. shmity

shmity Member

From what source?

3. OP
    OP
    Apache

Apache Member

Well, I actually have AUD with me, so technically I would go over the counter (maybe at a "partner" bank - HSBC?) and pay in cash. Or if they wouldn't take AUD, Euro. Of course, I'd expect to pay some fees and charges.

Basically, whilst in Australia, one can -for example- walk into most newsagents or any post office, let them scan the C/C, and deposit cash. I'm wondering if the same is possible whilst overseas, obviously probably only -if at all- via a bank.

4. shmity

shmity Member

Easiest is probably going to be to send money via western union(or similar) to someone back in oz and get them to pay it at the post office.

Edit: you probably need the card to do it over the counter right, so theyll have to bpay it once they have your cash.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  5. OP
    OP
    Apache

Apache Member

No -to above suggestions- that's ridiculous and undoable. Either I can go to a bank in person, here in Europe, and pay cash or not at all. I just assumed that this would be possible via a bank they are partnered with or such. Guess, it may still be, I will know for sure when I eventually call them.

6. Renza

Renza Member

It's likely going to be not at all. The reason you can do it at the post office is because of Bank@Post.

Overseas banks usually only do transactions in their currency, so getting AUD and putting that straight on the card while over there is not really going to work.

Generally you have to bpay the money onto the card, or transfer from a linked account.

Only way I see this working is going to the bank, convert to Euro, do an IMT to your bank account here, bpay money onto card.

Not sure if a bank would allow this, but they could take the AUD, convert to euro, then refund that euro amount onto the card.

7. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

how do you pay into it in australia?

i bpay from my offset account on my online banking, and i can do that from anywhere in the world. Not sure why you would have so much AUD currancy while overseas its useless, i keep as little cash on me as possible when travelling because to get it you need to convert it and what you dont use convert back.

8. OP
    OP
    Apache

Apache Member

Doesn't matter much now, I just wanted to know. I'll be back in a week anyway.

9. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

I don't think this (locally abroad) is possible with any VISA credit card. Why don't you charge it online from your home bank account?

10. blankpaper

blankpaper Member

Calling the bank would have been a better move than creating this thread TBH.