1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

PC automatically shutting down

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by kizzav, Oct 8, 2009.

1. kizzav

kizzav Member

This topic may or may not have been discussed already, so apologies.

In the last week, I've noticed my computer turn itself off automatically.

It's shut down 3 4 times, three times when I've been sitting at it.

Once the computer turns off, I can't turn it back on again, unless I flick the power switch off then on, on the back of the PSU.

If the computer turns off & I try to turn it back on (via the front of the case), I get both the power & HDD read light steadily glow, count 2-3 secs, turns off again.

Turning the power supply off then on again seems to solve the issue, but this issue is happening more frequently.

It's first occurrence was during a virus scan. I'd left the room to let the scan do it business, I return to wonder why my computer is turned off.

HELP!

EDIT: That's 2-3 times it's now turned of while running everyone's least favourite torrent program, Azureus Vuze.

EDIT: I've done a quick virus scan using malwarebytes, it found a Backdoor.Bot linked to somewhere in the registry & I've removed the virus. I've replaced Vuze with uTorrent, lol. However, it still keeps turning off.

It's turned off at least 6-7 times now. It turned off a couple mins ago. Windows froze, couldn't do shit for a min or 2, then the inevitable, turn off.

I left the computer off for about 15mins, turned back on, but instead of turning itself off again, it stayed on, but sat there & did jack shit. No boot up on screen, HDD light was on & steadily glowing, which isn't normal.

This is starting to shit me off.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  2. sphil

sphil (Banned or Deleted)

Did you try a different PSU?

3. OP
    OP
    kizzav

kizzav Member

No & I don't have a PSU on hand to use.

That's 2-3 times it's now turned of while running everyone's least favourite torrent program, Azureus Vuze.

4. karlcloudy

karlcloudy Member

If you leave the computer to it's own ways for a while and come back, will it turn on then, instead of trying to power back on immediately.

5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Any messages in the event viewers?

6. OP
    OP
    kizzav

kizzav Member

Haven't tried. I've been halfway through doing something when it happens. Flick it straight back on.

Dunno what I'm looking for in there.

Btw, the computer doesn't actually go through the shut down process, it turns off instantly. Just thought I'd clear that up.

7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Any error messages? Exclamation marks?

8. OP
    OP
    kizzav

kizzav Member

Under the 'System' tab, there's a few errors talking about some stupid iPod Service & how it can't get a response or some shit.

There's another talking about TCP/IP & that it "reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts".

Other than that, there's nothing else.

EDIT: I've done a quick virus scan using malwarebytes, it found a Backdoor.Bot linked to somewhere in the registry & I've removed the virus. I've replaced Vuze with uTorrent, lol. However, it still keeps turning off.

It's turned off at least 6-7 times now. It turned off a couple mins ago. Windows froze, couldn't do shit for a min or 2, then the inevitable, it turned turn off.

I left the computer off for about 15mins, turned back on, but instead of turning itself off again, it stayed on, but sat there & did jack shit. No boot up on screen, HDD light was on & steadily glowing, which isn't normal.

This is starting to shit me off.

9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Have you limited the number of concurrent connections in your torrent client? It can cause some issues.

(although I understand it's happening outside ot torrenting anyways)

10. samsino

samsino Member

i had a similar problem and it ended up being a dying PSU

11. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

First thing I'd look at would be the PSU.

12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

TYrue, a lot of the time psu is at fault.

13. King Krapp

King Krapp Member

Yeah, I'd say your PSU could well be buggered.

14. OP
    OP
    kizzav

kizzav Member

What's a good estimation for a PSU's life?

This PSU came part of a Antec Sonata II case, 3 years ago or so. I don't do any PC gaming what so ever, basic computing, web design/development, web browsing & downloading.

15. King Krapp

King Krapp Member

Hmm, it really depends on the quality of the PSU. Antec are usually pretty good, with the exception of their low-end. How much did the case cost (PSU included) and can you tell me the model or at least the wattage of the PSU?

Three years on a dodgy PSU isn't bad at all.

16. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I don't think there really is one tbh. I've had some go for 5 plus years and still go but I've sold them or thrown them out.

17. OP
    OP
    kizzav

kizzav Member

The info is all here.

http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product1.php?Type=Mg==&id=NjYy

18. King Krapp

King Krapp Member

Yeah the Antec SmartPower 2.0 SP-450 450W is a bit of a dud PSU, judging by the reviews.

I know you said you don't have a PSU on hand, but do you have any mates you can get in contact with who would let you hi-jack theirs for a while? Trying a new unit is really the only way you're going to know for sure if that's the issue, but that's what it sounds like to me.

19. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

That all depends on how warm its run. All capacitors (the bit that usually fails) are rated for X hours at Y temperature. Increase one and decrease the other.

That would be the end of a period of Antec PSUs equipped with utterly shiteful caps. We sold quite a lot of those cases and many of the included PSUs failed with dud caps.

Shine a torch inside the PSU, odds on at least one (or all) of the LV caps are swollen, misshapen or have dried crusty goo on their tips.

20. Rayman_04

Rayman_04 Member

I'm having a similar issue to the OP. Hope u don't mind if I hijack your thread, kizzav.

I've got a newly built system and I also get random shutdowns. I can boot up again without turning it off at the powerpoint though and it boots back into windows fine.

Specs:
    i7 860 running stock with stock cooler
    Gigabyte P55M-UD4
    4 x 2GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 RAM (F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH)
    Gigabyte 9400GT
    Antec SmartPower 500W
    1 IDE HDD, 1 SATA HDD, 1 SATA Optical
    Lian-Li PC-V351 Case (1x80mm, 2x120mm fans)

No events are shown in the system log.
    It has turned off a few times while using it. Other times I have left it to idle, virus scan and do a windows update and have come back to it completely off.
    I was suspecting RAM but its intermittent so not sure. Now thinking its the PSU.
    I'm also only running WinXP 32-bit until win7 gets release but I doubt that is the issue.

Anyone have any ideas?

Edit: I have disabled automatic restart on system failure. Each time it shuts down, it does so without warning and its as if someone pulled out the power cable.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009