1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

PC Build

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by JohnnieWalker, Aug 10, 2014.

1. JohnnieWalker

JohnnieWalker Member

I am as newbie as they come, doing a few days research ive got my idea of what i want

my limit is around the $1600 mark, my ideas so far are

CPU: Intel i5 4690
    Memory: 8G Kit Corsair Ram (recommendations on what type will help greatly)
    GPU: 2G Gainward 770 GTX
    HDD:Sandisk Extreme Pro 240G, WD Green 2TB
    PSU: Corsair 80+ Gold 650 Watt

the 4690 supposedly matches up well with the 770, my prefered game is diablo 3 and i have a screen with a resolution of 2560x1600 so i am covered by a fair amount but the 770 doesnt produce as much noise as the 760 so i dont mind paying the extra money for a quieter system

the PC will be mainly for general use and fairly intensive gaming

Im not good with motherboards so any recommendations are appreciated, thanks for the time guys, i dont want to overclock so i dont want an overclockable cpu or motherboard

2. OP
    OP
    JohnnieWalker

JohnnieWalker Member

thanks for the help guys

3. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

When you made your first post, after more than a week you were showing 38 views. Now, its 180, after just one more post. There are hundreds of posts here every day, it doesn't take long for one to slip out of view.

Its not that people didn't want to help, its just that nobody had seen the questions. Now its likely people just don't want to answer the questions after reading the previous post..

My personal feelings on HD Green drives is that they are worthless pieces of shit. Others will disagree however. I've just had far too many of them fail on me, I think I would be looking at a different storage drive but thats only my opinion.

Other than that, your setup looks fine to me. As far as motherboards go, if you don't want to overclock then any ASUS H97 board will do the job well. Just choose one according to your desired features.

Again, thats a personal choice naming Asus, pretty much any mobo these days is fairly reasonable quality. I would rate Asrock as the bottom of the pile, MSI and Gigabyte in the middle, and Asus at the top if I had to give them a rating.

4. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

When it comes to Mobo, pretty much get the cheapest with the feature you are after.

If you don't need bulk Sata, PCI-E ports or overclocking features then just about anything will work just fine.