1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

PC freezes at random and reboots with or without BSOD

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by timbo3185, Aug 11, 2019.

1. timbo3185

timbo3185 Member

Hi, I have this old system that I've pulled out of the corner after it was constantly either:
    • crashing with blue screen and rebooting into windows
    OR
    • freezing and rebooting into windows without any bluescreen
    OR
    • rebooting into black screen without even posting and sitting there in darkness
    the only solution to it booting into darkness was to perform a combination of the reset button followed by a hard shut down and reboot with the long press of the power button, but that was to get it to post. I would then get prompted to restore the settings in bios but I would enter bios and exit without changes in order to preserve my overclocks. the other problems occurred at random and I could not find a solution and now I need to get this thing up and running stable to do day to day work on it until I put together something new.

It is a fairly old system now as you can see it in my signature, and I've only ever upgraded the graphics card at the time when the current one was relatively new, and changed the SSD after the previous one had been known to fail and was offered this one as a replacement. I had installed a fresh OS (win10) in the hope that it was software related but the problems still occur.

Not to mention while I was trying to post this exact thread, the PC froze and blue screen with a MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION.

anyway!

the plot thickens

Since I pulled apart the pc and cleaned it out and reassembled, I ran a memtest and everything looked good, ran it for close to 8 hours, until I realised that it only could see 4gb of 6gb, I didn't notice at first because it detected ram sticks in all three DIMMS which was unusual if it was only reading the first 2 DIMMs. Long story short after some troubleshooting I fixed that by re-seating the CPU in the board. however I don't know how long this problem had persisted because I put this pc build out of my mind and forgot about some of the issues.

But that was just one of the problems, and I only just recently booted it up again after so long, So all of my BIOS settings have reset to default from the battery draining.

I can probably put all the issues I've been having down to overclocking the system, resulting in hardware failure, but if there's a solution here I'd like to explore these options before I give up on the system.

So while I can possibly rule out the RAM being faulty (I will do another Memtest tonight and check up on it tomorrow after work to have a bit more certainty)
    I can't rule out CPU, PSU, M/B or Graphics card, or a combination of them.

So below I've posted my Speccy report and below is a copy of the report from MiniToolBox. I hope I've provided all the information in this long winded thread, sorry in advance and I hope I can answer all of your questions :)

Tim.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/NmPglpA2LnX1NEPW2ZSDytH

2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

It's more likely to be a single point of failure rather than more than one item. I'd start swapping bits out and see how you go.

3. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

Try the CMOS battery replacement trick, cheapest part to replace and does cure weird shit like this at times.

zaim likes this.
  4. zaim

zaim Member

update the bios

qwertylesh likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    timbo3185

timbo3185 Member

Ok CMOS will be first thing, see how we go

Side note, I ran memtest for 12 runs ( left overnight) and zero errors so ram is fine

6. Xepper_Pepper

Xepper_Pepper New Member

Damaged USB port(s)?

7. OP
    OP
    timbo3185

timbo3185 Member

updated to the latest BIOS and changed the motherboard battery, so now i'll just give it a few days of regular use and see how it goes, i guess i'll know soon enough if it requires some more action

Might run my old overclocks again if i remember how to do it lol

8. OP
    OP
    timbo3185

timbo3185 Member

small update, i threw an overclock on the cpu back to what it was previously, ran some stress tests overnight to see if i could find any errors, none whatsoever! the pc handled 100% load im prime95, OCCT and Linx running all at the same time.

im not sure what else to do at this point to test the system stability. as far as I can tell it's ok. :)

9. alch

alch Member

Its always the PSU!

10. de_overfiend

de_overfiend Member

i would remove the hdd and put it in a caddie and test it for failures and run eset online scanner over it
    suggest backup/format or new hdd and reload
    looking at the log you have malware\virus that is attacking avg free trying to disable it and your hdd may be failing - run speedfan and check smart attributes and/or seatools extended test or similar
    also suggest running memtest with hdd removed and test 1 stick at a time

tl;rl suspect mainboard was caked with dust and wasnt cleaned properly causing ram faults or main board failure AND and your hdd has viruses from dodgy sites and/or the hdd may be failing

11. terroristone

terroristone Member

run furmark at the same time

12. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

if it wasn't picking up a dimm, id make sure the sockets are spotless, and use a pencil eraser to make all the gold contacts (on the ram) is flawless.
    I'd put the system back to stock clocks and make sure the bios is on the latest non-beta.
    If its still unstable, id look at the crash dumps and consider doing a ycruncher stress, and adjust the ram timing manually as needed (incase could be the spt timing table at stock values dont agree with the mobo)

the oc's arent doing you any favors.

13. OP
    OP
    timbo3185

timbo3185 Member

P6T board will not post with 1 dimm occupied, it's in the manual, I've done a 12 hour memtest with 0 errors already and performed a format while the pc had no connection to the net.

If you checked the last posts I already done the Bios update and replaced the CMOS battery.
    I haven't run into any further issues since

14. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

Oh thats great news, i hope it remains stable for you :thumbup: