PC Game Piracy Examined

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by tfroggydawg, Dec 13, 2008.

1. tfroggydawg

tfroggydawg Member

Sorry if already posted.

A very in depth look at PC game Piracy.

http://www.tweakguides.com/Piracy_1.html

2. ekeane

ekeane Member

hmm

I don't support it or pirate games myself, however I do understand why!

3. Smoke87

Smoke87 Member

Right, so, Australia is the biggest consumer of BT traffic in the world per capita. Per capita we also have the largest downloads.

Why?

Because we are sick of being fukken reamed at the register. EB is an American company. Yet for games that cost 50-70% LESS from American and Asian websites, they charge the full 50-70% margin.

Very rare for me to pay for a game. Pay to play is the only title worth my cash, because it isn't over in < 12 hours.

4. anthony256

anthony256 Member

Exactly. It's just like movies, we get them late, no advertising, even with the dollar was strong, movies in america = $7 at box office, here, up to $16 now, why, how?? It doesn't cost $9 per person to have a few fucking reels sent over.

Games, make them quality, not shit, with bugs or simple console ports, advertise them well, <$50 and they'll sell. $100 - $130 a game is fucking ridiculous.

5. TOFUGil

TOFUGil Member

Yer we get rape for price even when Aussie dollar is strong, its ridiculous. If they don't want ppl to pirate mayb stop selling @ ridiculous price outside of US or Japan.

6. mecka

mecka Member

I've said this before but $50 games won't stop the majority of people (and that's including the posters here) pirating them. Free is free.

Also.... whinging about price - there have always been ways to get games cheaper than you do at EB. Smarter consumers = happy consumers.

I'm not one way or another for piracy but weak arguments advocating it piss me off.

Edit:

This also made me lol:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  7. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

Well put.

I dont like the pricing of italian sports cars, so i go without.

Seems the best strategy is to make a multiplayer component of the game 'must have'.

8. Smoke87

Smoke87 Member

Oh FFS, I bet you use a goddamn Mac? Weak arguments? We get reamed on EVERYTHING and there is NO JUSTIFICATION WHATSOEVER. You call consumer demand for fair trade a weak argument?

You agree with licenses for "use" rather than ownership? i.e. you buy a fucking game, completeing a contract of sale, but they expect by installation only, with no consideration whatsoever from the publisher, to agree to their bullshit agreements?

Ever read a fucking EULA in its entirety? You could be signing up for the French Foreign Legion for all you know.

9. mecka

mecka Member

There seem to be a number of viable strategies both on a consumer and a publisher level that can be undertaken.

IMO the best course of action that can be taken is a rational and civilized discourse between publishers and gamers addressing various issues like DRM and its pitfalls. The author of the article makes a good point when he notes the levels of anti-DRM "hysteria" and the uninformed opinions of some consumers. It really does seem that some people automatically scream "DO NOT WANT" like small children being fed broccoli.

Did you read the article? This is exactly the overreaction that the author was speaking about.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  10. manic311

manic311 (Banned or Deleted)

Frankly I have better things to spend money on than pay $100 for a game I will play maybe 8hrs a week.

Instead I waste my internet qouta on them... I know stupid but like I said I don't waste my money.

11. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

I see piracy, like anything else in the world, as part of a balance, a cycle: remove either one and it becomes meaningless. Of course that doesn't give one an excuse to go steal stuff though what I do say is that no matter how hard you try, no matter how much you spend, you'll never stop it completely.

12. mecka

mecka Member

Yeah I call consumer demand for fair trade of what is essentially a LUXURY item a weak argument. Nobody is forcing you to buy games and you don't HAVE to play them.

My perceived reality of the situation is that retailers charge what they charge because overall the Australian market is much, much smaller and isolated than that of other countries. If you absolutely HAVE to play games - and I refer to PC games in particular when I say:- why not import? Is it still too expensive?

13. Bosk

Bosk Member

Amen brother.

14. Croc

Croc Member

i buy all my games but sometimes i wonder why.

best example is pro evolution soccer
    pes6 on 360 konami been talking it up for ages but then we got game with so many features missing is just crazy and online plain and simple was USELESS
    but that was nothing.....

year later we get pes2008 that was so broken there is no words to describe it, no patch, no comments, no fix but they were happen to pocket their money once again

here we are this year pes2009 even more broken then 2008, single player slightly playable this time around but everything else they promised with online is not delivered

i paid for 3 totaly broken games, if someone is going to tell me that it would be not fair to download pes next year they can get fucked.
    not that i would ever go near pro eve soccer again unless there is some massive change next year and online finally works plus most other bugs get fixed.

15. Korbah

Korbah Member

I think his point is that there's such a disparity between consumer's here and consumers in USA/Asia/Europe.

For the exact same product we pay a significant premium - with no additional benefits.

I've actually bought several games this year at the $50 price point (QW:ET and Supcom + FA combo pack) and think that for $50 I was getting a great deal. I simply couldn't afford $100.

I'm definitely someone who will pay for something I deem worthy of my cash. $100 (or more) for a game is overly expensive and it doesn't surprise me that consumers turn to piracy as a way of voicing their dissatisfaction with the distributors who view the market as a cash cow.

16. DavoRulz

DavoRulz (Banned or Deleted)

Some people pirate because there's a good game out, but it's buggy as shit. I wouldn't pay full price for some buggy fucking half made wannabe console port. GTA4/Fallout 3 anyone?

17. Hurley

Hurley Member

yeah the high costs of games and the fact that SP standalone doesnt matter one bit weather its legit or not.

18. red_marine

red_marine Member

that article sums it up perfectly, people will pirate because they can, there is no other explanation

reducing prices is never the answer to a problem, at most it is a bandaid on a severed limb, if people want something, they will most likely pay that price for it, it is basic consumerism

what would be interesting is an analysis into what sectors that the act of piracy has stimulated, for example media burners, harddrives, internet usage

pirates will go out and spend all the money they want on the above items, just to pirate something, its a simple thing to admit, you'd rather spend money pirating something than to actually pay for something

19. bojo

bojo Member

Anything to do with piracy has to be taken with a grain of salt.

Anyone remember the ads a few years ago?, Apparently me downloading movies meant i was funding terroism, i never understood that myself.

Having games at realistic prices won't stop piracy, as long as you can copy a game some people will. However it will go a long way to curb the effects of it. I bought a few terrible games for the PS3 recently, Turning point (terribles maybe overkill) and Battle for the pacific.

Battle for the pacific is pretty tragic, i expected this, but i bought it and have no regrets, both games together cost me 70 AUD brand new.

I think alot of consumers will forgive downfalls in games, such as odd bugs, storyline plotholes etc, if you give them the games for <50. At 100+ you expect quality, not weak storylines, lame gameplay, and a rediculous amount of bugs.

Best way i can see to curb piracy, is make it socially unacceptable. If most of the population thinks they are paying a fair price for what they are buying, or are getting a bargain, they will pay it. THESE people, can then put the pressure on pirates, if 7 people buy a game and love it and hope that by paying the developers the are encouraging a sequel, well than the 8th person they know is more likely buy it, by their influence.

Publisher's seem to view there games as big investments. Even though some have 8 hours of gameplay. Then the sheer amount of titles becomes staggering. Heaps of publisher's want you to pay 100 for there 'must have' games. That probably helps contribute to peoples inclination towards piracy. If a game appears must have to people, but they can't afford it, they will try different routes.

oh i'll add in my anti-drm bit too. Had a game recently, SimCity Societies + expansions on the same disc. While the game itself worked, the DRM (securom i believe) wouldn't let me play because i 'didn't have the original disc' in the drive. This was funny as the disc inside was the original disc. Google etc came up with nothing so i didn't bother, i don't mind the idea of DRM, as long as it's just based to the game (eg it doesn't run 24/7 or whatnot) ohh and the other lil feature that it would need (but isn't something they decide to implement) would be having very few false 'hits'.

20. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

Same, I could never find a direct link between piracy and terrorism. I think it's bullshit but if you think about it it does make one think twice which is the point of not pirating....even if it sounds extreme.