PC has no bluetooth, would a USB / PC bluetooth dongle create audio delay?

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by Crewcut, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Crewcut

Crewcut Member

Hi all,
    I'm a bit burned over bluetooth connections given past issues trying to connect some Harmon / Kardon soundsticks and base woofer to an old Aldi Baun TV. It connected, but for some reason I could never fix introduced a half second delay on the audio so that mouths were moving then half a second later speech issued.
    It was infuriating.

So fast forward to today and I've finally got my son's old beast from years ago, which got taken out by a lightning strike last year and therefore upgraded under house insurance. It got the 2080 graphics card, new processor, new power core, all put in an old rig. But no Bluetooth card!

Would a bluetooth USB dongle connect my PC to the HK or would it introduce a delay?

Thanks guys - you rock.

2. randomman

randomman Member

Bluetooth for audio on Windows is still in development. I've got a TP-Link BT USB adapter that serves me well, no noticeable lag. It very much depends on the adapter. Get a known brand and v5 support if you can.

Recharge likes this.
  3. argent

argent Member

+1 to that - cheapo ebay ones really REALLY suck. I recently picked up an Edimax nano one and it works perfectly whereas the ebay cheapo kept installing itself as some KOGA bluetooth thing and wouldn't work properly. If something disconnected, literally I'd have to remove the device and re-pair it.

Crewcut and randomman like this.
  4. randomman

randomman Member

My exact experience, though replace eBay with Amazon, which I mistakenly thought would make it more trustworthy...

5. miicah

miicah Member

I grabbed the $20 TP-Link one from Amazon, works great for my 360 controller.

6. Renza

Renza Member

this confuses me since the 360 controller isn't bluetooth :confused:

7. miicah

miicah Member

Xbox one controller? The black one.

Renza likes this.
  8. Raptor_Eye

Raptor_Eye Member

Def make sure its Name brand and Bluetooth v5 (v5 is low power and high bandwidth, and should run better from just USB power if your also connecting v5 devices to it)

I use my Sony XM3's with my Panasonic OLED which is only Bluetooth 4.2 i think and get no lag or issues, works great.

But once again these are two very high quality devices.

9. rthy

rthy Member

i run a simplecom ($10@MSY) usb2.0 bluetooth v5 receiver with my VR setup with no issues
    bt headset also works fine

10. Martyn

Martyn Member

I've got one of these, which supports aptx low latency.

https://au.creative.com/p/speakers/creative-bt-w3

It supports 4 x different codecs, so you can choose between low latency, hd audio and a couple of others.

Note that your audio device has to support low latency as well, otherwise it will default to one of the remaining 3 x codecs.

11. OP
    OP
    Crewcut

Crewcut Member

If I get a v5 Bluetooth USB dongle, does the sound system have to be Bluetooth 5? Or would the dongle be backward compatible to talk to my old Harmon Kardon Sound sticks?
    [​IMG]

12. Martyn

Martyn Member

The one that I linked to will fall back to previous versions of Bluetooth if it doesn't support the latest & greatest, but without the enhancements of the newer versions.

If it was me, I'd just spend the $60 and future proof it in case you want to use it on some other speakers / headphones down the track.

Crewcut likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    Crewcut

Crewcut Member

OK I got a cheap little CSR $10 beastie which seems to work for now.

BUT it blinks at night - and my mini-office is in the bedroom. It drives my wife nuts. How do I stop the thing blinking at night? It seems to blink when the radio function is on - I thought it would automatically stop blinking when the computer shut down. Is there a setting that tells it not to have a heart attack and keep blinking at night? Or do I need to go barbaric on it and cover it in blue tac? (Would that interfere with it's range? I guess the sound system is only 10cm away from the dongle.)

14. callan

callan Member

Just get some black nail polish.

15. randomman

randomman Member

Lucky, CSR was the one that kept causing my computer to crash every time I had to disconnect/reconnect.