PC refuses to POST with another GPU

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by FR3D1, Mar 11, 2018.

1. FR3D1

FR3D1 Member

So I just bought a R7 260X off the trade forums and give it a crack. System were running fine beforehand but when I chuck the card in and turn it on it would turn on as usual but would not POST (no display). Normally with my previous setup when I turn on my PC the light on my mouse and numlock turns on (assuming this is POST) and it boots but with the 260X the system turns on but neither light (mouse and numlock) turn on. Curious so I decided to unplug the 6 pins on the GPU to see what happens. Surprisingly the system boot and POST. I entered BIOS but for some reason it doesn't detect anything in the PCI E slot. My suspect is that the PSU is not supplying enough power or dodgy graphics card. Have anyone experience this before? What would happens if the PSU is over powered? Unfortunately I don't have any spare parts around to do further test but thought might post this to see if anyone have experience this before and to confirm before spending money buying the wrong part.
    Specs:
    Motherboard: Intel DH61WW
    CPU: G630 Pentium
    GPU: XFX 4350 --> R7 260X
    PSU: Generic ATX620

Click to view full size!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  2. Hater

Hater Member

If the PSU is overpowered, system gets unstable or refuses to boot with all the load, so yes i'd be replacing your PSU. Even if it's not a cause of the issue, probably good to upgrade it anyway

3. fcyde

fcyde Member

It sounds more like a dodgy gpu. The PSU is pretty crap indeed, but its not like a 260X is a power hungry beast

4. OP
    OP
    FR3D1

FR3D1 Member

I'm think of getting Antec True Power 550 PSU. Will this be a sufficient replacement? At least with this I can factor out if it is the PSU. If not it got to be the GPU.

5. fcyde

fcyde Member

I thought they were discontinued? can you link it?

typically i would aim for something that is at least 80+ Bronze rated

6. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Your power supply says it can supply enough amps on the 12v rail for it, not that I'd trust it being a cheap looking thing. But should be good enough to post regardless, not like it's under heavy load.

A good power supply will simply turn off if you ask too much of it. A cheapo power supply will probably just die and take everything else it can with it. lol

Sounds like a dodgy video card to be honest, see if you can try it in a friends machine maybe? Even if its not the main card, just having a dodgy card in the system at all is normally enough to stop it posting to test.

If you are near Brisbane, I'd be happy to help you test it out.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  7. OP
    OP
    FR3D1

FR3D1 Member

I'm getting it off here

I'm in Melbourne :(

8. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

A 260X pulls a max of about 120W, for general use it would almost not even need the 6 pin plug (although the card may demand an additional source regardless). A more modern board would recognise that you had a GPU installed which required additional power over and above what the PCIE slot would be capable of providing, about 75W, and you would get a BIOS warning telling you that you must provide the GPU with more power or remove it. Not sure about an 1155 board though.

It's a concern that the BIOS doesn't see the card at all, this could mean either the PCIE slot is kaput, or the GPU won't show without a power cable to it, or the GPU is kaput.

Have you tried refitting the original GPU (XFX 4350?) or using the onboard VGA?

Where in Melbourne are you? I'm happy to help you out if you need a hand.
    If you want, you could bring the rig over and I can try a low powered GPU in it, to test the board and slot without involving the extra power, try a different PSU to see if that is the problem, and try a different board to check the GPU. We should be able to narrow it down.

9. OP
    OP
    FR3D1

FR3D1 Member

Thanks for the offer but I'm in Northeast (near Greensborough). I was confused because I thought it can't be the PSU because I've tried running the bare minimum: pentium CPU + 1 stick of RAM + 260X (none of which is OC or anything should cosume about 350W at most?) and it still wouln't POST. I have tried plugging back the previous 4350 and it POST fine.

10. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Yeah sounds like a dead GPU. An underrated / worn out psu "should" still boot, but might shutdown when gaming or otherwise loaded up.

The video card doesn't have an EFI switch or anything like that? Could potentially be a compatibility issue with the old system... (Long shot)

11. crepuscular

crepuscular Member

could happen, i remember when i was building my previous PC the Z87 board was black screen with GTX780, had to switch to my old GTX590 to do a bios upgrade

FR3D1 likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    FR3D1

FR3D1 Member

False alarm guys no hardware failures. Followed crepuscular suggestion I upgraded the BIOS and everything works. Thanks for all your help and now it left me with 2 questions. What happens if the vendor didn't release an update BIOS? Now that it's not the PSU that have problems do you reckon I still need to get the Antec True Power 550 PSU?

This seem to do the trick.

self_slaughter likes this.
  13. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Woohoo! Happy days.

Sounds like the power supply would probably be worth more than your system, so I probably wouldn't bother unless you got it dirt cheap.

If a gpu update or motherboard update didn't fix it, then you would be shit out of luck. lol

Not everything is always compatible. Hell, I've even had a high end motherboard not being compatible with a high end power supply which left me slightly confused at the time. lol

14. crepuscular

crepuscular Member

1. An indication the board is now legacy, time for an upgrade
    2. Definitely yes, a generic PSU is not as power efficient; also, generic psu generally lacks surge protector, which can destroy more than just the psu itself when it happens

15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Errr, yeah, that is a bit confusing, normally high end psu's will have every connector possible and then some.....what was incompatible?

16. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Was something strange with the corsair AXi digital power supplys and from memory i think it was a gigabyte z87x OC force motherboard?

Had to remove some resistors from the motherboard to work around the issue so I could turn the PC on/off properly.

Was an odd one.

17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yeah I certainly can't imagine anything other than a physical connection issue with the motherboard, but even that would be weird. Oh well, these things happen in pc's at times.

18. OP
    OP
    FR3D1

FR3D1 Member

That is really strange. I thought all GPU were plugnplay (given that you install the correct drivers). Didn't realise that only certain GPU work with certain board. So I guess you can't really future-proof anything these days? How do I know what GPU is compatible with which board?

19. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Any PCIE x16 GPU should work in any board with a PCIE x16 slot. It appears there are exceptions? but I've never once encountered one. If its modern enough to run a PCIE x16 GPU, then any PCIE x16 GPU should run on it. That covers many boards from as early as 2003, and all boards from 2007 onwards. I've run modern high end GPU's with a socket 775, obviously performance is not as good but they work just fine.

If you are buying new, then any GPU you can buy should run on any Mobo you can buy.

Astonished to hear self-slaughter had to remove resistors from a modern(ish) board to make a modern PSU work. That's just plain weird.

20. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Yah, that issue I had was pretty random to say the least, but god bless gigabyte for at least coming up with a fix and providing diagrams of the board with details, rather than pulling the system down for an RMA.

Most GPUs should work. Things just got a little weird during the transition from bios to uefi based machines. Some cards even had switches to toggle between uefi/bios ROMs. Others needed to be manually flashed. Pretty rare scenario though.