1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

SOLVED PC shutting down while gaming

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by breno, Feb 18, 2019.

1. breno

breno Member

Hi guys,
    As per title, PC has started shutting down while gaming. Pretty much any graphics intensive game I put on. Haven't done a great deal of testing as such, just ran AIDA for over an hour, temps and voltages are normal, no throttling.
    Initially I thought it would be PSU if it shut down during stress test but no issues there. PC shuts down about 15-20mins into gaming.
    Still could be PSU but i'm thinking is it GPU now? Can GPU's cause this?

Also, when it shuts down, I have to switch off back of PSU first otherwise it stays dead.

Specs:

i5 4570 w/ stock cooler
    Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H
    8Gb 2133mhz RAM (running at rated speed, actually just realised I haven't dropped this down, but it's been stable this whole time)
    ASUS RX570 Expedition

Any thoughts appreciated

2. magius

magius Member

If it was a gpu issue, you would likely see some artifacting rather than just a complete shutdown.
    Sounds like psu is shorting when it draws above a certain amount of power.

Got another psu to test with?

3. Wozzernux

Wozzernux Member

Sounds like over current protection (OCP) tripping on the PSU... check your wiring and power connectors in the case. A loose power plug or misaligned pins can create a dicky connection that will trip OCP and force power off to save itself and your hardware.

What make/model PSU? Could be on the way out, could have a reduced peak load rating if it's getting old.

An RX570 can draw up to ~250W peak, so shouldn't draw more than ~21A on the 12V rail :Paranoid:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    breno and Turbine like this.
  4. Turbine

Turbine Member

I'd put my bets on the PSU too. On it's way out.

5. OP
    OP
    breno

breno Member

I'll try reseating all connections. PSU is a Thermaltake Litepower GEN2 550W and is bang on a year old.

Just ran Heaven benchmark, come back half hour later and PC had shut down. Mouse didn't turn on when powering up this time, had to unplug and replug.

And yeah I do have another PSU to test with, it's one of those coolermaster 500w OEM ones I got on my testbench. Almost can't be bothered lol I'll get around to it.

6. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

Sounds like the same problems I am having. A while ago I go a new z370/8700k system and reused my 970gtx and OCZ 1000w powers supply.

Never crashes in desktop usage. Even in Lightroom or Photoshop. But games seem to throw it out. Just resets with no BSOD or any other trace of anything going wrong.

Hope it's just some connections not in properly.

7. magius

magius Member

OP - did you end up getting it fixed?

8. miicah

miicah Member

If you are having the same issue, it's almost 99% your PSU.

9. OP
    OP
    breno

breno Member

Yes I did. I tried the other PSU and had no issues. RMA'd the PSU and thankfully they were able to duplicate the issue so I've been given a replacement :)

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yeah dunno about 99%. I've had gpu issues during intensive gaming that caused reboots.