PC will not go to 'Sleep'

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by ibace, Oct 31, 2018.

1. ibace

ibace Member

Have just completed upgrading my hardware; new x79 mobo, Xeon CPU and ECC ram, decided to try to boot the system up with my [previously A1 SSD running Windows 8.1 Pro] plugged it in, turned on and booted up...took a little longer than usual; but hey: it was 'configuring itself' I guess. Once password entered, went straight to the 'Activate Windows' screen...fair enough.
    Jumped through their hoops; but all well and good; system activated without having to re-install Operating System [figured a couple of hours frustration saved there...] but now I have noticed this issue, that was not an issue on the previous hardware; even if I right click the Start Orb, select 'Sleep' the PC doesn't...it just never goes to sleep. Have checked the settings in 'Power Options' no obvious problem there...anyone think of a cause for this problem?
    Would hate to have to re-install...but if I must; I will!

2. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

Updated all the drivers with the most recent manafacturer’s drivers?

3. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

In Power Settings, did you reset to Plan Defaults?

In BIOS/UEFI what is the 'Suspend' mode configured in Power Management? (Not sure about your board, but on some if you select a 'Best performance' mode or somesuch then Suspend can be disabled. )

Failing that, I'd suspect a hardware driver conflict after a motherboard transplant. Before installing clean again I'd try going into Device Manager, uninstalling everything from there (including hidden devices) and then rebooting to let Windows detect and install your hardware all over again. Then use Windows Update if anything irregular still shows up in Device Manager afterwards. Only after all that would I try installing drivers downloaded from Manufacturer website, if they're actually needed for anything.

4. OP
    OP
    ibace

ibace Member

Only as far as running Windows update, it did a couple of updates, but from memory, none were hardware related...just usual Windows stuff...

Catweazle...will check these settings and follow your advice....

5. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

Just make sure you don't reboot until after you've uninstalled all devices. Then run WU repeatedly (after each reboot required) until it reports no further updates available. Sometimes stuff down't get properly installed until after other updates are in place.

Drivers from WU are generally the latest available manufacturer stable certified ones. They'll just lack the software overlay which lets advanced features be configured.

6. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

What is the motherboard?

7. OP
    OP
    ibace

ibace Member

a...ha...the Chinese special...Huanan x79 Deluxe...it does hibernate and wake up as it should...just the 'sleep' is not working...

8. OP
    OP
    ibace

ibace Member

After advice from here, and another consultation with Dr. Google...I decided to delve into the BIOS setting again...found where the settings fore Sleep States were stored...and changed from the default setting which was S3 only, changed it to S1 & S3 and now situation seems all normal.
    Thanx to those who offered direction...

9. havabeer

havabeer Member

Glad to see you got it sorted

Every time I saw all i could think of was this:
    [​IMG]